• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    I have been using my large BGE for 7 years on a weekly basis, year round.

As mentioned up up thread there are 2 main reasons I am a devout BGE user.

1. Versatility. Yes you can produce good smoked meats on kettles, drums, offset smokers, etc. But how many of those can be used the next day to cook home made pizza at 600+ degrees in 5 minutes? How about doing high temp steak searing? It is a incredibly versatile cooker...it is not merely another "smoker."

2. Warranty. LIFETIME warranty on the whole thing. I have had multiple parts fail from heavy use (namely the internal ceramic fire ring and fire box both cracked and the bottom fire grate finally broke ). A call to my local BGE dealer (Chef JJs in Broadripple....awesome place btw) and proof of my original purchase (keep your receipt) and he ordered me brand new parts.

Yes, the up front cost is expensive but as with most things in life you get what you pay for. I will never EVER have to purchase another smoker/grill again. How long do typical grills last? 5 years maybe?

One other tip..if I was to buy one now I'd wait for a local "Eggfest" and buy one used. They take brand new eggs and use them for a demo day where folks cook tons of great food. You can reserve purchase one of these demo models at a nice discount over brand new and they've essentially been used for 1 weekend.

One of the main reason I asked the original question in this thread is there IS an EGG FEST coming up on 3 June 17 at a dealer that is 1 minute from my home. EggFest address - The BBQ Store, 17007 Doty Rd, New Haven, IN. Just outside of Milan Center if you know where that is. I stopped in there Saturday with some questions and to browse. While there, two other prior customers stopped in to buy accessories and charcoal. From both families, I heard nothing but praise and rave reviews. They too mentioned the lifetime warranty. The BBQ store (name of the dealer) stocks all of the repair parts, they do not have to order. In just a few hours, you folks did exactly what I hoped for, gave me good feedback. I liked hearing all the pros from those that have one, and all the cons from those that do not. I will check out a cpl of the competitors (not LOWES based on reviews here) and I will make my call in the next few days. The BBQ store owner told me I could buy one anytime, but if I decide before 12 May 17, I can get in on the EGG FEST pre-buy at a nice discount - 20%.

Feel free to continue the debate, I love the input; but no way will I get in between the pro and con BGE/Weber/propane/etc, just like I do not tell anyone here what the right answer is in 9mm vs .45cal, or AR vs. AK, or god forbid, what bourbon is the best....

After I read this I realized I had 1 more question for the fans: Does the type of charcoal matter? Lump wood? briquets? either? other? I did get some opinions on that as I was in the store.

Thanks.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    After I read this I realized I had 1 more question for the fans: Does the type of charcoal matter? Lump wood? briquets? either? other? I did get some opinions on that as I was in the store.

Thanks.

Now you've opened a whole new can of worms!

there are several web sites dedicated to reviewing /ranking different brands. Here's one.

The Lump Charcoal Database -- Naked Whiz Charcoal Ceramic Cooking

i tend to buy the big green egg brand. I always try to have an extra bag or two on hand, sometimes the dealer I go to runs out.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I like how everyone seems to be bringing up more and more good points about the BGE, even ones that may have either already been hinted at or completely overlooked.

Being able to use it in extremely cold temperatures is a great one. I have a journal that I keep track of everything I make on my BGE so that I can tweak my recipes, cook times, wood varieties, and ambient temperatures. Two winters ago I smoked a 15# turkey on a day where the temp was between 15 and 20 degrees below zero and it was no different than on a 70 degree day.

Another point would be some of the aftermarket accessories for the BGE that make long cooks even more hands-off. I got a "BBQ Guru" for Christmas, and after seeing the success that Phylodog had with his, I am a huge fan of the thing and am having a great time using it.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I like how everyone seems to be bringing up more and more good points about the BGE, even ones that may have either already been hinted at or completely overlooked.

Being able to use it in extremely cold temperatures is a great one. I have a journal that I keep track of everything I make on my BGE so that I can tweak my recipes, cook times, wood varieties, and ambient temperatures. Two winters ago I smoked a 15# turkey on a day where the temp was between 15 and 20 degrees below zero and it was no different than on a 70 degree day.

Another point would be some of the aftermarket accessories for the BGE that make long cooks even more hands-off. I got a "BBQ Guru" for Christmas, and after seeing the success that Phylodog had with his, I am a huge fan of the thing and am having a great time using it.
    I haven't brought myself to buy the BBQ Guru, yet!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I asked because the dealer and 1 customer were talking charcoal and they said only LUMP WOOD, once they were out of earshot, the other customer told me he used briquets with next to no difference... so I had to ask.
    Lump charcoal and wood chunks is all I've used. I generally buy the BGE brand, but Chef JJ's actually uses and supplies Royal Oak lump charcoal if you rent an Egg. BTW, that's another option, some, like Chef JJ sometimes rent the Egg out for the weekend, try it before you buy it! Costco has a BIG bag (34lbs) of Cowboy brand lump that I was eying, but I've seen some bad reviews on that particular brand, so...

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Lump charcoal and wood chunks is all I've used. I generally buy the BGE brand, but Chef JJ's actually uses and supplies Royal Oak lump charcoal if you rent an Egg. BTW, that's another option, some, like Chef JJ sometimes rent the Egg out for the weekend, try it before you buy it! Costco has a BIG bag (34lbs) of Cowboy brand lump that I was eying, but I've seen some bad reviews on that particular brand, so...

i bought a bag and hated it, extremely hard to light, with the green egg brand, I use I propane torch and hit two or three spots, denpendeing on what temp I'm looking for, for about a minute and I let it go. The cowboy stuff never seemed to light right for me.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I use the BGE lump or the Royal Oak lump, both are sourced from the USA. The Cowboy brand is not sourced from the USA and contains basically any wood material that the plant could find. I have used it in a fire pit and it contained several obvious pieces of pallets.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I use the BGE lump or the Royal Oak lump, both are sourced from the USA. The Cowboy brand is not sourced from the USA and contains basically any wood material that the plant could find. I have used it in a fire pit and it contained several obvious pieces of pallets.
    Funny, my last bag of BGE contained a fair amount of busted brick! As in red BRICK! Another bad review of Cowboy has sealed it for me, BGE or Royal Oak.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I bought the big bag of Cowboy at Costco and while I didn't find anything out of the ordinary in it, I did find that it burns up faster than BGE so I won't be buying another.

10mmMarc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 16, 2015
    Greenwood
    I've had one for 2 years now, they are nice, I only use a regular grill (propane) if it is raining out.
    there are some generic knock offs for a fraction of the price, but I wouldn't go that route.
    I am lucky enough to have a hardware store near me that is a Green Egg dealer, and they have cookouts every saturday, and a factory rep present to answer questions as well.
    Summerfied Ace Hardware in Greenwood Indiana, it is on Independence Drive.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Costco has a huge kamado cooker that is red with some nice accessories. I have a vision with lifetime and I'm in my 3rd year no problem. The stand is giving up and the felt is about done but I'm still happy. It came with 2 stones electric lighter and the tools to clean out the ash. Got it at SAMs on clearance $300. If it were to fall and break I would get the one at Castro. I only use lump. Check out kamadogurudotcom.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Funny, my last bag of BGE contained a fair amount of busted brick! As in red BRICK! Another bad review of Cowboy has sealed it for me, BGE or Royal Oak.
    Most all of the lump charcoal brands, including Royal Oak, I have tried have at foreign objects in them including stones, cement, and pieces of plywood or other laminated wood. The GFS stuff seems to be the best, I have found very little foreign material in their's.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Most all of the lump charcoal brands, including Royal Oak, I have tried have at foreign objects in them including stones, cement, and pieces of plywood or other laminated wood. The GFS stuff seems to be the best, I have found very little foreign material in their's.
    GFS has natural lump?

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Lump charcoal only for me as well. It burns much more consistently and creates less ash. Also, because the vent controls are so good on the egg you don't waste much fuel. Once you're done cooking you close top and bottom vents and suffocate the fire. The coals go out and you reuse them on your next cook.

As for brands, I don't care for the Cowboy stuff as it is too "sparky" when I light it. I use a MAPP gas torch and it sends off showers of sparks when I light it. Royal Oak is much better here and in my anecdotal tests also burns hotter and longer than Cowboy brand. When I see it on sale at Home Depot I typically buy 20 bags or so.

Good luck OP and I am sure you'll be thrilled with your purchase.

Top Bottom