• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Thanks to all that have added input. Still need to see Costco's, but A BGE is likely in our future. The Mrs is staying updated on this thread - one of our next questions is the base. Go with the basic? Upgrade to the "console" model? Build one? Any more input will also be appreciated.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Build one. Lots of videos on YouTube. I'll be doing one out of need this year. That's red one at Costco is awesome.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    In case you're not crafty, BGE has finally made a table out of something other than teak wood. It retails under $500 which puts it at half the cost of the teak table. Still spend, but way more palatable than $1200.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I've had one for about 8 years now. I enjoy it and don't regret it. I agree with all the positives posted by other members above me. Recently the cast aluminum PK Grill has caught my attention. Not as an equal competitor to the BGE, but there are some overlapping characteristics and advantages.

The New PK360 Grill & Smoker

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Thanks to all that have added input. Still need to see Costco's, but A BGE is likely in our future. The Mrs is staying updated on this thread - one of our next questions is the base. Go with the basic? Upgrade to the "console" model? Build one? Any more input will also be appreciated.

Build one.

This seems like a great time for phylodog to post pics of his setup again. Truly impressive.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Mine underwent a makeover recently after the Weber Grill had sat unused for several years. This is how it sits now:

IMG_4113_zpsyvccfswe.jpg

This is what it was before:

IMG_1854.jpg

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    I would love to have a true ceramic but it was outside the constraints of my budget at the time. I picked up one of these instead and have had excellent results that are on pay with my brother's BGE at a fraction of the cost. 20+ hour cooks have been no issue maintaining temperature or running out of charcoal. I think I paid $250 for mine. At some point, I will upgrade to a true ceramic but I see no significant benefit in doing so at this point as mine does everything that I would do with a BGE or equivalent. The BBQ Guru was a great investment and I recommend to everyone.

https://www.chargriller.com/kamado-grills

rstone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2017
    Fishers
    I have both the BGE in size small and the Primo large. I built a table that houses both of them side by side for cooking ease. I have to say they each function almost identical and the only reason I went with the Primo was its "Oval" shape. It makes cooking ribs easier (for me anyway). I usually throw on a pork shoulder on the egg and several racks of ribs on the Primo and way you go. One accessory I have found to be priceless for cooking/smoking whole turkeys is a tool called a "turkey cannon" it holds the bird in a somewhat upright position and had room to put any fluid you'd like to add in the internal tube. I use a combo of beer and fruit juices occasionally. I agree with most others on here about fueling these only with BGE chuck or Royal Oak lump. Another thing I must add that someone showed me was smoking real "beef bologna". It is amazing. You don't buy the slices of bologna, you have the meat counter cut you off about 3 or 4 pounds in one chunk. I initially thought this sounded terrible...but I was completely surprised. The bologna takes the smoke fantastic and makes great appetizers for the crew while you're waiting on a long slow cook...like you can have with pork butts or ribs. Gives onlookers something to eat so they leave me and the smoker alone!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have both the BGE in size small and the Primo large. I built a table that houses both of them side by side for cooking ease. I have to say they each function almost identical and the only reason I went with the Primo was its "Oval" shape. It makes cooking ribs easier (for me anyway). I usually throw on a pork shoulder on the egg and several racks of ribs on the Primo and way you go. One accessory I have found to be priceless for cooking/smoking whole turkeys is a tool called a "turkey cannon" it holds the bird in a somewhat upright position and had room to put any fluid you'd like to add in the internal tube. I use a combo of beer and fruit juices occasionally. I agree with most others on here about fueling these only with BGE chuck or Royal Oak lump. Another thing I must add that someone showed me was smoking real "beef bologna". It is amazing. You don't buy the slices of bologna, you have the meat counter cut you off about 3 or 4 pounds in one chunk. I initially thought this sounded terrible...but I was completely surprised. The bologna takes the smoke fantastic and makes great appetizers for the crew while you're waiting on a long slow cook...like you can have with pork butts or ribs. Gives onlookers something to eat so they leave me and the smoker alone!
    LOVE smoked bologna. I buy mine clear down in Haubstadt at Dewig meats, best bologna in the world!

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    The red one at Costco is gone. It was a kamado joe and its was a demo weekend. They still have the black pit boss for 599.99. Still a nice kamado and way cheaper than an egg.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I just bought the Kamado Vision Classic Ceramic model from Home Depot. It's $699 because of the added features like a place to insert the electric starter for the Lump charcoal, removable ash drawer for easy cleaning and finally the dual dial controls on the bottom for temp control instead of a "slider" style. Many BGE and Kamado of earlier years had problems with the ceramic bowl cracking. This already has a factory split in the bowl to prevent that.

So far I've only cooked a couple steaks and hamburgers and some stuffed potatoes. My first long slow cook will start early tomorrow morning with either some baby back rib racks or a pork butt. I found a couple of nice recipes for these and have high hopes.

20248033_1770056476352849_8307261415697837345_o.jpg

Top Bottom