• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Wow, where is your business, I'll be sure to not park one in front of it. Also where else but the sidewalk are people supposed to park them? Have a bad attitude About bikes too?
    It is currently against Indy ordinances to ride them on the sidewalk, or ride them on the street, in the downtown area. So.... they are not supposed to be "parked" anywhere. Bicycles also have designated "parking" areas: namely, bike racks. Not supposed to just leave those chained up in random spots, either. All this is spelled out in your Indy ordinances, along with the fines for violating. Take a look:
    https://library.municode.com/in/indianapolis_-_marion_county/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=12016

These scooter companies didn't even bother to check if this was an issue, and most (if not all) riders are completely ignorant of the fact.

While Mr. Bob likely shouldn't toss 'em in the dumpster, I can certainly understand the aggravation. A bunch of "toys" littering the sidewalk, and code enforcement turning a blind eye, would be pretty annoying.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have to admit, the whole idea of leaving stuff sitting around randomly on property you don't own with the hopes that someone will pay you money to use it seems weird to me.

Oh...and this is sure to be great fun from, say, November to March.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have informed Bird and Lime that if their scooters end up on the sidewalk in front of my business I will put them in the dumpster. They are not supposed to be on the sidewalk and they create a hazard to people walking on the sidewalks. They can come and get them out of the dumpster.

I've been wondering how long it would take for someone to do that. IMO, they are litter and that seems an appropriate response. This may not be the "official" take and I speak solely for myself, of course.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Don't ya think impd has bigger problems to focus on?

As a department? Yes. At any given time for downtown district? Maybe, maybe not.

Focus in a given area is often complaint based. I'm no expert on downtown. I did a 6 day rotation and most of the issues there seem to revolve around the homeless and traffic. There's not much actual violent crime downtown, comparatively, and most of that revolves around the homeless issue as well.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Its either right or its wrong, money shouldnt have anything to do with it.

Out of state companies should use the infrastructure here for free? The city will inevitably incur costs dealing with these things. First responders when they crash, dealing with complaints from shop owners when they are abandoned on their property, etc. I'm not sure why you think we should subsidize a billion dollar company with local's tax dollars while they get a free lunch.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Out of state companies should use the infrastructure here for free? The city will inevitably incur costs dealing with these things. First responders when they crash, dealing with complaints from shop owners when they are abandoned on their property, etc. I'm not sure why you think we should subsidize a billion dollar company with local's tax dollars while they get a free lunch.

Ding ding ding....another winner.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Agreed, we should def be seeking money from these operators but we should gouge them. This will be a healthy street of income for the city. A little napkin math looks to be about $200k a year per operator.

That's not a bad deal (for us)

Maybe see of that money can be used to add more bike Lanes, or hell do something about this terrible trend of homeless camps springing up all over each sidewalk and corner in the downtown area.

Top Bottom