• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Any recommendations on particular 00 shells?

8 or 9 pellet 00 buck in reduced recoil. 1100-1200 FPS. Federal Flight Control would be my go to recommendation and what I keep in my guns. I shoot a lot of the Fiocchi reduced recoil LE 00 buck as well. I have not tried the Remington managed recoil but plan to pick some up at the local shop to test drive.

The reduced recoil stuff might not cycle a semi auto but works great in 870s and 500s.

2Lucky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2018
    Notre Dame
    Using more than one type of ammo in any firearm for self defense is a big no no! Attorneys will argue that you "planned" this and were, as they say, hunting.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I know first hand that bird shot will penetrate 2 layers of drywall cross a 12' room and imbed in the other wall.

But I wouldn't use it. Current opinion seems to gravitate to 00 Buck. I use #4 Buck. I'm not worried about them being a little smaller.:)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Using more than one type of ammo in any firearm for self defense is a big no no! Attorneys will argue that you "planned" this and were, as they say, hunting.

Yep I plan that if the first round of Remington managed recoil 00 buck doesn't stop an intruder that the next round of Remington managed recoil 1 oz. slug will.

I only have one hallway that I will deploy a shotgun. The rest of the house is 230 gr. .45 ACP Hornady Critical Defense territory.

ETA: No, Your Honor, I "did not" want to chase him away to invade someone else's home to rape, kill and steal.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Had a coyote cut through our deer spot.
    Told buddy to bring his shotgun next day w #4 buck and I'd bring a pistol and caller.
    15 mins after first light (started calling) I hear the shotgun bark.........across the creek comes the coyote.
    Its at a good clip so I put a 140gr FTX through its heart (Colt Python).

Buddy comes over to admire the dead yote.

Informs me that his shot didn't phase it. I said "with #4 buck?"...........and he goes.........."buck?"

He stung her w a #4 pheasant load.

So.............#4 means different things to different folks, even when being more descriptive and saying "#4 buck".
    He heard #4 and being an old school bird hunter.........obviously thought #4 pheasant load.

So when folks say "birdshot"...............what do they mean?
    Non buckshot.............but what "bird" ?

Lead 8's for doves, steel 7's for same, heavy pheasant loads...............turkey loads, goose loads?

FWIW my 870 HD rig has #4 HV turkey loads. First 2. The rest are slugs.

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    My past training with shotguns utilized #4 Buck, and Deer slugs. I have added 00 Buck to keep recoil from slugs tolerable. Side saddle loaded and magazine tube as well. Home Defense will be short and dirty. No issues with handguns(9mm or 45ACP). Added a 357mag Snubbie to the toolbox recently. Short barrel still does light stuff up. Since the shotgun load is discussed, i would say Buckshot over Birdshot. Can't quote personal experience except from training recommendations.
    Chose well. Good luck.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    8 or 9 pellet 00 buck in reduced recoil. 1100-1200 FPS. Federal Flight Control would be my go to recommendation and what I keep in my guns. I shoot a lot of the Fiocchi reduced recoil LE 00 buck as well. I have not tried the Remington managed recoil but plan to pick some up at the local shop to test drive.

The reduced recoil stuff might not cycle a semi auto but works great in 870s and 500s.

I'm a big fan of the Federal Flight Control shells also.

I believe several people have made a case for not using bird shot, but I'd like to add a couple of thoughts as well.

I think people see a cardboard or paper target after being hit with birdshot, see all the holes, and think about what a hit on a person would look like. It would be nasty, however, the small shot penetrates very little.

It's not being shot that causes people to die, it's the loss of blood that kills them. Birdshot doesn't penetrate enough to reach vital organs and it doesn't leave holes big enough to allow the blood to pour out. "00" buckshot will.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Don't listen to fudds. If you're not prepared to kill, you shouldn't pull the trigger. Load with properly lethal, effective ammunition and practice judicious trigger control.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Birdshot is designed for birds. Just a couple of the more mild examples, lots more out there if you care to look. Notice something they have in common? They are not birds, and they're still vertical. That would not be the case had 00 been used.

Use something that is designed to stop the threat. A threat that is not stopped IS STILL A THREAT. I'd be bad enough to hear about someone who lost a loved one because they chose a cheap & ineffective round that didn't stop the threat. Now imagine being the person that chose that round. This also goes for .22, .32 & .380 for defense as well. Use the proper tool for the job.

Getting-shot-birdshot-2.jpg

Getting-shot-birdshot-4Harry-Whittington-1-237x300.jpg

Getting-Shot-Birdshot-5whittington-300x225.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    LOL..........how far was Cheney's boy when he got peppered and what was the shot size?

(dunno, am asking)

Shot loses energy pretty quickly and smaller stuff is the worst.

Size and distance matter to some extent.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I load 00 milspec (1900fps) followed by armor piercing slugs...but I don't live in an apartment either. If I'm going to shoot something with my scatter gun I want it to work.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I prefer #4 Buckshot

Why? This is a general question to all and not being aurgumentative. But why #4 buckshot? I understand that it will penetrate less and that is an advantage. But in my patterning tests I tend to get more spread and flyers with the #4 then reduced recoil OO. Even a single errant #4 could be lethal. My question though is how does 1500 FPS #4 compare to 1150 FPS OO when it comes to barrier penetration? The #4 certainly has more felt recoil. I am not against the idea of smaller shot and if it patterns good then I say go for it. But with the ready availability of good quality OO what is the advantage of #4?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Birdshot will work. If you're close enough.

Me? I don't wanna be close enough for it to work.

And OP: Stop listening to those people when it comes to issues of self-defense. And if you do; do your own due diligence and research things.

Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    Birdshot will work. If you're close enough.

Me? I don't wanna be close enough for it to work.

And OP: Stop listening to those people when it comes to issues of self-defense. And if you do; do your own due diligence and research things.

That is what I was doing. As I said, I was always a 00 guy. Heard several people discussing this and thought I would bring it here to see what INGO thought.

Top Bottom