• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I dug up an old thread where I patterned several types of "00" buckshot. Note the Federal FliteControl patterns at 25 yards.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-testing-pattern-various-brands-buckshot.html

I remember seeing that thread a long time ago. Very similar results with my 590. I didn't test as many loads but the ones I did have were just about identical. I had the Ranger, S&B, and the Federal 8 pellet version. My 25 yard pattern with the Federal looked like your 25 foot pattern with the S&B. I came home from the range and promptly bought a 500 round case. Still have plenty left but am thinking about more, I don't want to ever run out of this stuff.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've heard hunters/guides in Canada/Alaska that carry a 12 ga. for grizzly defense normally load a round of birdshot in the chamber and fill the tube with slugs. The first round of birdshot goes into the bruin's face to pepper the eyes and nose. The following slugs go into the body. They may be onto something there.

Some people think that's a good idea for home defense.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general-firearms-discussion/428674-9mm-shot-shell-test.html

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    In my HD pump shotgun I prefer birdshot in the chamber, followed by 00 buck, then a tracer round, then rock salt, then two slugs, and finally a beanbag.

YMMV.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    in my win1300 defender, i have a (heavy pheasant) load of #4's in the chamber, followed by 2 3/4" 00 buck in the tube. 6 rds of 2 3/4" slugs in a sidesaddle.

i used to use the #4 loads shooting bowling pins, they have a nice tight pattern at 21 feet. the longest home defense shot i'd ever have to take is less than that.

:cheers:

Top Bottom