• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    They'll appeal and drag this out for even more years. It'll be a cold day before the victims of this guy see any justice.

Unless he is granted bond pending appeal (which he pretty much certainly will not), his position during the appeal will exactly the same as if there was no appeal pending; ie serving his sentence.

Likely not many appeals...if any. Those take money...lots of money...and Dave is out.

Since there are state public defenders who handle appeals by indigent convicts, he will almost certainly make it to the Court of Appeals.

Best,

Joe

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    A drunk is a drunk no matter what the cause. How many of this type cases go unnoticed by the media. This time it was a cop on duty is why the news was/is all over the story.
    We've got more than our share of hit and run deaths, just plain drunk driving deaths, and only the lord knows how much property damage is caused.
    I don't kiss any a.... and especially a cop, but when the bottom line shows up it's still a drunk driver screwing the pooch and destroying lives.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No idea. But change of venue is part of the right to getting a fair trial, which is a right afforded to ALL defendants.

You know, in the internet age, I've often wondered how much good a change of venue does for major cases (ie. those deemed "newsworthy" by the media). I mean look at the case of the DC area snipers a few years ago. Where on earth (almost literally) would you take a trial like that where it hasn't had publicity? Amazon Rain Forest? The Congo? :dunno:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I am just guessing, but YES... IMPD, will want to "wash their hands" of him ...... JMHO .....

As well they should. He probably did more to give the whole department a black eye with the community than any 10 other officers that have gotten in trouble before or since. That just made what is already a difficult job even more difficult.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Good. Now I hope they shut up about him. I am so sick of hearing about him. Had he been any other Joe Blow, the sentenced would have been handed down over a year ago. I pray the family/victims find peace, and have gained some confidence in our Legal System.

Actually, had it been any other Joe Blow, he would have walked due to procedural errors.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Actually, had it been any other Joe Blow, he would have walked due to procedural errors.

Well, hard to say, because in all likelihood those procedural errors wouldn't have occurred. I say that because, as a police officer, he never came under suspicion for being drunk at the scene the way Joe Blow probably would have. Joe Blow would almost certainly have been given a breathalyzer on the spot. Joe Blow wouldn't have been taken to a convenience store first. Joe Blow probably wouldn't have been taken to a "clinic" for the blood draw, etc.. These are some of the things, of course, that the public saw as preferential treatment and contributed to the negative image for the department from that point on.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Well, hard to say, because in all likelihood those procedural errors wouldn't have occurred. I say that because, as a police officer, he never came under suspicion for being drunk at the scene the way Joe Blow probably would have. Joe Blow would almost certainly have been given a breathalyzer on the spot. Joe Blow wouldn't have been taken to a convenience store first. Joe Blow probably wouldn't have been taken to a "clinic" for the blood draw, etc.. These are some of the things, of course, that the public saw as preferential treatment and contributed to the negative image for the department from that point on.

He never came under suspicion because he didn't present any indicators. And this "if Joe Blow ..." horse**** is getting old. Ride with an IMPD Dui Unit officer and see how it really is before making uninformed statements.

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    WOWO was saying how this almost ended up in a mistrial. Apparently they had already brought in two alternates on the jury, and within the last week had to dismiss another due to accessing the internet to research something about blood alcohol sampling. They were already using the last alternate and any other issues would have forced a mistrial.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    He never came under suspicion because he didn't present any indicators. And this "if Joe Blow ..." horse**** is getting old. Ride with an IMPD Dui Unit officer and see how it really is before making uninformed statements.
    Sorry Frank, I meant no disrespect, but (and I will admit I don't know) isn't it generally standard procedure to do some kind of field sobriety test for a fatal accident? Again, not trying to pile on.

Top Bottom