• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The last few ride alongs I have had got to see how a dui really works.
    As for the "Joe blow horse****" that Frank mentioned, IMPD procedures have changed since this incident. A PBT is mandatory in all officer involved crashes. All.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Sorry Frank, I meant no disrespect, but (and I will admit I don't know) isn't it generally standard procedure to do some kind of field sobriety test for a fatal accident? Again, not trying to pile on.

A test for alcohol is standard, field sobriety tests are done if the driver involved shows signs of impairment.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    As for the "Joe blow horse****" that Frank mentioned, IMPD procedures have changed since this incident. A PBT is mandatory in all officer involved crashes. All.

One of my beat partners parked his squad legally outside the City-County building and it was hit while unoccupied. He was called out of court and given a PBT.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Right, I knew about the procedural change for the officer involved crashes. I was wondering if it was standard procedure (prior to this incident) to check the driver in any fatal accident. Look, I'm probably not coming across as I intended, and for that I apologize. To me, I know that a police officer would have been the very last person I ever would have suspected of drinking and driving, so it probably wouldn't have occurred to me to even look for indicators that something was amiss. I could not say that about the general public. That's why I said that some of the procedural errors might not have occurred with a civilian.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    He never came under suspicion because he didn't present any indicators. And this "if Joe Blow ..." horse**** is getting old. Ride with an IMPD Dui Unit officer and see how it really is before making uninformed statements.

Would the nature of the accident (victims stopped at red light) itself and the injured victims have been an indicator?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Field sobriety tests are the Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus, 9-step walk and turn, and one-leg stand. The breathalyzer/blood draw are the chemical test for intoxicants.

Okay, gotcha. Thanks Frank, and again I apologize if I came across badly. Wasn't my intention!

Field test humor... :)

[video=youtube;unseSFWjuqs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unseSFWjuqs[/video]

IMPD31323

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    indy
    I am a FACT6 team member. As such I respond to serious bodily injury crashes and fatal crashes where there are no signs of impairment. No a FST nor a PBT is given at a SBI or fatal crash unless reasonable suspicion exsist for me to believe the driver is impaired. when you sign for your license you are agreeing that if involved in an SBI or fatal crash you will voluntarily submit to a chemical test. if you refuse it is an infrantion i.e. ticket and your license will be suspended for 1 year. if on the other hand i have probable cause to believe you are intoxicated i can apply for a search warrant and take a blood sample against your will. but only if i have probable cause to believe you are intoxicated. long story short if your in a bad crash and you dont show signs and tell me to urinate up a rope all i can do is get your license suspended.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    He deserved a fair trial. He got it according to a judge. He is convicted/guilty. He will continue being punished by not having freedom. I feel very sorry for his victims of the crash and also bissards family. I hope he can get help for his problem in prison for his family's sake and for the publics safety when he gets out. I hope the victims can find forgiveness in their hearts to help them heal. I'm glad a dark shadow has been lifted from over our city and the good police officers who didn't deserve the repercussion due to this mans actions.
    Sure if he is entitled to appeals then he deserves them too just like any of us should get. Let's move on finally.

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    The news is saying he is still "technically" IMPD and can't be fired until a merit board hears his case .

I wonder how much MORE he will cost Indianapolis before he's finally gone ?

Huh, am I missing something? Please tell me that he has been suspended without pay up until this point. :ugh:Or do you just mean costs related to appeals?
    Either way we have spent an ***load of money to make sure that his constitutional rights were protected. I am not complaining about that. Just mentioning it. He certainly deserved due process.

Tranquil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    Plainfield
    In my opinion... A drunk driver is a drunk driver, regarless if he's a LEO, or a priest. There are bad apples in every group. I don't know why this has caught so much media attention. They have done a great job of running the IMPD through the mud, and giving a bad reputation to a bunch of great men and women.

I'm glad there's finally a verdict, now I don't have to hear about it all day every day. I have no opinion either way. I hope this mean it's the end, and he'll serve his time without appeal. But since it was such a huge media case, I doubt that will happen.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Do any of you Leo's have any insight as to Bisards actions that day?
    iirc, (I remember reading way back then) that he was told two or three times that he was NOT needed at the scene, but he was determined to proceed. And not just go to the scene to see if he could be of assistance, but at such a high rate of speed, seemed totally unnecessary.Was he sending and receiving texts? Or messaging on, or using his computer or phone at the time?
    Also, was the canine hurt in the wreck?
    Notice, I don't use the word "accident". I think that word is WAY over used. To me, NEGLIGENCE is not an accident!

Side note, I don't think this incident makes IMPD look bad at all! Just the ONE person, Bisard!

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Huh, am I missing something? Please tell me that he has been suspended without pay up until this point. :ugh:Or do you just mean costs related to appeals?
    Either way we have spent an ***load of money to make sure that his constitutional rights were protected. I am not complaining about that. Just mentioning it. He certainly deserved due process.

He was suspended (without pay) pending termination as soon as the blood result came back and he was charged with the crime.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This mess was generated by Bisards actions and the attempts of the high ranking officials that appeared to be covering things up. That they did or did not do this is a matter of opinion but it sure looked shady when it first came down. A lot of damage control going on. That is what cast a shadow over the IMPD.

Top Bottom