• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    From what Garrison was saying, the way that the charges were presented means that it is one sentencing thus it will not be one sentence on top of another. They are concurrent.

Well, concurrent it may be, but that would make the range 6 to 20 (if everything goes in one lump). Not saying he could not get 8 years, as he could, but the range is far wider than 2 to 8 on a B.

Trooper, do you have a link to the podcast or remember the date of the broadcast? I am inclined to think Garrison was discussing just the Reckless Homicide in isolation, maybe like a hypothetical if the jury just came back with a C felony or something?

We will find out the sentence on Nov. 22d.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Let 'er rip.

No thanks. You did your duty and told the jury what you did and did not see.

I will only say this, I will it incredible that Purdue University Police Department can smell .03 through a dorm room door and Lafayette Police Department will call .08 as an overwhelming odor of the impurities associated with alcoholic beverages but nothing on Bisard. Perhaps there was the peanut trick? I don't know, one can only say what they observed.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I was on the scene, August 6th, 2010. I spoke with Bisard for about 5 minutes, in a closed in space/front seat of a car with the a/c going.
    I testified to what I did and did not see, smell or hear that day. Although some signs of impairment can be masked, involuntary ones cannot be. There was no such sign (Nystagmus). No odors..no bloodshot eyes..no imbalance..no slurred speech.

As a motorcyclist of 25+ years, I can assure you that had I observed any such signs, I would have notified one of several supervisors on-scene, ALL of which would have made damn sure an arrest would have been made. If by some impossible circumstance that last line wasn't true, I would have slapped handcuffs on him myself. That could have been me, my wife or girlfriend on the back of the Harley.
    There were no such signs of impairment. None. None that I could see, or any other officer..or Fireman..or EMT..or Doctor.
    If there is nothing to see, there is nowhere to go, investigation wise. A blood draw is mandatory during such an event. It was done.
    All acts of incompetency cannot be excused. Ultimately, they were not, and Bisard has been and will be accountable for his actions that day.

I totally understand why everyone is pissed at this situation. I don't know of any who aren't, and each reason for being angry is valid.
    That's all I have to offer, and all I am going to say about this situation, although in fairness, I will answer any questions I can, in that throughout this mess, I don't think that anyone has spoken to someone who was onscene, because of the (then) pending court trial.

Let 'er rip.
    I don't know if it's true, but I've heard that vodka is extremely hard to smell on someone's breath. I've also heard that vodka was Bisards drink of choice.
    also a "functioning alcoholic" can hide their intoxication VERY WELL!
    If your interaction with him was inside a vehicle, how could you possibly judge any "imbalance"?
    Did he take his sunglasses off when he got in the vehicle?

Thank you for your insight!
    Ps
    ... Does anyone KNOW what was inside the duffle bag he took from his vehicle? And is it normal to allow someone to take items out of the car after a fatality crash?

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    The paper is wrong. They are not attorneys, Garrison is.

it depends on how the charges were filled. This is going to be concurrent sentencing thus no more than 8 years.

I am really curious why you think there is a way in Indiana that he could be charged with a single event of non-violent crimes and have it run consecutive. Outside of crimes of violence and a few other exceptions, single episodes of felony criminal conduct are usually mandatorily concurrent, particularly when the same act constitutes mulitple crimes. Even concurrent, the B carries 6-20 with a presumptive of 10 so the cap of 8 number is just plain wrong.

Do you have a link to this podcast?

Best,

Joe

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I am really curious why you think there is a way in Indiana that he could be charged with a single event of non-violent crimes and have it run consecutive.

Oh, I know, I know, pick me, pick me . . . if there is an Habitual Substance Offender or Habitual Offender count.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I don't know if it's true, but I've heard that vodka is extremely hard to smell on someone's breath. I've also heard that vodka was Bisards drink of choice. True, is does not smell like beer (that is what most people smell) however, there is still a slight smell. If I remember that day right, it was close to 95 degrees outside, everyone was sweating their balls off. That also makes detecting alcohol easier...coming out of their pores.
    also a "functioning alcoholic" can hide their intoxication VERY WELL! True, my father is one, but there are still signs, just harder to see.
    If your interaction with him was inside a vehicle, how could you possibly judge any "imbalance"? Dave didn't just miracle his way into the car now did he?

Ps
    ... Does anyone KNOW what was inside the duffle bag he took from his vehicle? And is it normal to allow someone to take items out of the car after a fatality crash? Same stuff inside the duffle bag in the front seat of my car...my personal possessions. There was no protocol about removing your personal posessions from your squad car in a fatal. I was involved in a crash while on duty about 8 years ago, my car was totaled. I took all of my personally owned property out of the car before it was towed. Stuff always get swiped from crashed cars when they go to the garage.

MPH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    <~NOT a 'Baker' unit
    I don't know if it's true, but I've heard that vodka is extremely hard to smell on someone's breath. I've also heard that vodka was Bisards drink of choice.
    also a "functioning alcoholic" can hide their intoxication VERY WELL!
    If your interaction with him was inside a vehicle, how could you possibly judge any "imbalance"?

Ps
    ... Does anyone KNOW what was inside the duffle bag he took from his vehicle? And is it normal to allow someone to take items out of the car after a fatality crash?

After we talked he got out of the car and walked over to the deputy chiefs on the scene and then went to this car which was the lack of imbalance I spoke of
    While inside the car the glasses were off

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Do any of you Leo's have any insight as to Bisards actions that day?
    iirc, (I remember reading way back then) that he was told two or three times that he was NOT needed at the scene, but he was determined to proceed. And not just go to the scene to see if he could be of assistance, but at such a high rate of speed, seemed totally unnecessary.Was he sending and receiving texts? Or messaging on, or using his computer or phone at the time?
    Also, was the canine hurt in the wreck?
    Notice, I don't use the word "accident". I think that word is WAY over used. To me, NEGLIGENCE is not an accident!

Side note, I don't think this incident makes IMPD look bad at all! Just the ONE person, Bisard!
    Denny, Mph? Anything you guys know about these points?

MPH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    <~NOT a 'Baker' unit
    I cannot speak to any of those as far as personal knowledge..in that, I know only what I have read in the investigation. I can only speak as to my interaction with him during the hour or so after the crash.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    If he was still drunk from the previous night, I assume there wouldn't be much if any smell of alcohol. Do you know if nystagmus would still be evident?
    i know a couple "functioning alcoholics". One in particular, regularly drinks as much as THREE cases of beer per night! After work! And many times AFTER drinking at a bar for a few hours!
    After the first case to case and a half, besides the smell, you would be hard pressed to have a clue that he had been drinking AT ALL!
    So, I can believe that someone could be legally drunk, and show NO signs.

Top Bottom