• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Actually, I think the black community is turning on this issue. The law abiding, inner city blacks don't care about gun control anymore. At a time in the past, maybe they did. Maybe they actually thought that handgun control would solve the issue of many young black males dying. For whatever reason, that no longer seems to be the case. For those outside the Indy area, there is a guy named Amos Brown who has a local talk show. He claims it to be the "talk show of record for the Indy African-American community." Anyways, he touched on these gun turn in programs that IMPD is hosting here in the next month or so. He was actually surprised that a lot of his callers were calling in opposition to the gun turn ins. A few of his callers honestly think that it is a way to disarm poor, inner city black people.

This follows the trend we saw in Chicago. Al Sharpton has a radio show and when he discussed the McDonald case, he was shocked that somewhere around 85% of the callers were against Chicago's ban on firearms.

I think the urban African-American community is seeing gun control for what it really is: People control. After a decade or so of seeing lots of young black males constantly dying to guns, it sounds like most are coming to the conclusion that if you play with fire, you are going to get burnt. A good % of those deaths are due to illicit dealings and/or fights it seems. Listening to members of this community on the radio/TV, the law-abiding, poor or rich, members of that community are sick of the thugs and gangsta culture. It seems that even those folks now realize the cops/government can't protect you 24/7.

Maybe you are right, but I don't see many AA's at shooting matches and very few AA's belong to gun clubs that I've been around. I doubt that there are many on this forum.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Actually, I think the black community is turning on this issue. The law abiding, inner city blacks don't care about gun control anymore. At a time in the past, maybe they did. Maybe they actually thought that handgun control would solve the issue of many young black males dying. For whatever reason, that no longer seems to be the case. For those outside the Indy area, there is a guy named Amos Brown who has a local talk show. He claims it to be the "talk show of record for the Indy African-American community." Anyways, he touched on these gun turn in programs that IMPD is hosting here in the next month or so. He was actually surprised that a lot of his callers were calling in opposition to the gun turn ins. A few of his callers honestly think that it is a way to disarm poor, inner city black people.

This follows the trend we saw in Chicago. Al Sharpton has a radio show and when he discussed the McDonald case, he was shocked that somewhere around 85% of the callers were against Chicago's ban on firearms.

I think the urban African-American community is seeing gun control for what it really is: People control. After a decade or so of seeing lots of young black males constantly dying to guns, it sounds like most are coming to the conclusion that if you play with fire, you are going to get burnt. A good % of those deaths are due to illicit dealings and/or fights it seems. Listening to members of this community on the radio/TV, the law-abiding, poor or rich, members of that community are sick of the thugs and gangsta culture. It seems that even those folks now realize the cops/government can't protect you 24/7.

I really hope that's the truth. Only a fool willingly limits his own ability to fight those who would do him harm.

Trevlan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Franklin Township
    I want to give a big kudos to Indy Gun Club's staff and patrons. In this day and age it should not be a big deal that a black female wants to learn to shoot sporting shotguns. And for the most part I think all of us shooters think the more the merrier. My daughter and I was talking with our friend Allison about some of the joys we get from shooting clays and she said she really would like to try it, but was really apprehensive due to her perceived stereotypes of a white redneck sport that would not except her there. with a little nudging we got her to the club. She had a great time and loved the atmosphere of the gun club, and shot well for a first time shooter. She is now trying to setup dates for her sisters to join us. She finally admitted that she liked the smell of gun powder in the morning, I told her that was the white trash in her coming out. She said she agreed and was ok with that. :laugh:
    I hope the title didn't scare you all.

A marksman has no race or color. It's a shame people still think they need to cross the 'race' bridge before they can partake in a sport they may really enjoy. When I went trap shooting over at MCFG, I was out of place. But I was made feel, incredibly comfortable. Those guys are awesome, and great shooters. Can't wait to go back and snap some clays out of the sky. I've been trying to get in on the Friday night steel events also, but they recommend 5 magazines, and I only have 2 so far. That should be exciting as well, maybe your friend can try that also.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    So tired of hearing the race card. I'm white, he's black, she's Hispanic. Who cares. Thugs are not all black or all males. I thought we were Americans. Plain and simple. Leave it at that. If I sound like an a**, it's probably because I am.

New person interested in responsible gun ownership/shooting.....Priceless. Be sure to let the OP's guest know we said welcome to the addiction.

Top Bottom