• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    Sounds good. Blackpowder very popular in my area. Local club has very large event every labor day weekend. Stones Trace.

You can't be far from me then. That is less than 10 miles from my house.

DSC_3450.jpg

DSC_3448.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_3448.jpg
      DSC_3448.jpg
      153.2 KB · Views: 5
    • DSC_3450.jpg
      DSC_3450.jpg
      200.4 KB · Views: 4

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    Looking good, early 19th century (1800 to mid 1820s). Do you prime from the main horn, or do you have a priming container in the shooting pouch?

Priming container with 4f in the pouch. Since your read the Gathering at 5 Medals requirements you probably know I was going for the 1790 - 1816 period. Think I am doing OK at that? Still planning to finish it off at the Conner show in Feb and Kalamazoo show in March. Knife and sheath are hand made by me. I forgot to put on the period glasses for the picture.

Last edited:

vedearduff

Marksman
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Looks to me like you nailed it. I figured you had period eyewear, or used contacts, during reenactments.

I prime from the main horn, even with my Bess. But the, I use 3f even in the Bess. For some reason, I get better accuracy with 3f than I do with 2f.

From what I can see in the photos, you did a great job on the knife and scabbard, any chance you could post a photo or two of the knife and scabbard, so we can get a better look?

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    Looks to me like you nailed it. I figured you had period eyewear, or used contacts, during reenactments.

I prime from the main horn, even with my Bess. But the, I use 3f even in the Bess. For some reason, I get better accuracy with 3f than I do with 2f.

From what I can see in the photos, you did a great job on the knife and scabbard, any chance you could post a photo or two of the knife and scabbard, so we can get a better look?

Not quite what you asked for. A picture of the knife and a cleaver that belonged to my wife's grandmother. The cleaver was very rusty and the handle was rotted away when I found it in the chicken house. I think you can guess what it was used for. I cleaned it and reworked the edge. Replaced the handle with one of oak from floor joists from a torn down house built in the 1870's. It now hangs in our kitchen. I gave it to my wife for Christmas several years ago. Problem was she guessed what was going on when she noticed it missing in the chicken house. The knife was made from an old planer blade. Nothing real fancy. I don't have a picture of the sheath other than what you have seen.
    DSC_7545web.jpg

I have made quite a few knives. Here is a patch knife made from a masonry nail that you may like. I made a bunch of these and donated them to several charity auctions.
    Don't have any left. This one was sharp enough to shave.
    Shown with a nail like I used to make it and a sheath I made for it. I had been selling them for $5 each without the sheath and was surprised at the auction that I was calling when this one brought $20.
    7b28b0b4.jpg

A few other early knives I made. Not my best work. The top one with the sheath was made from an old bridge nail. A neighbors son brought it and wanted a knife out of it.
    DSC_0418web.jpg

I am by no means a pro knife maker but do have fun with it.

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    My 1816 anvil with the knife on top.
    52616_1642940643584_1712479_o.jpg

A few pictures working my demo blacksmith shot at the corn maze.
    67783_1617603410169_3674433_n.jpg

68580_1617596369993_1914902_n.jpg

68828_1617601050110_1906022_n.jpg

Enough derailing the thread. Now we can go back to BP

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Digital_photog, looking good on your clothing. And great pics of some of your work! I would gladly pay $20 for one of your patch knives made from the masonry nails. Love the one in the picture with the sheath and the "raw" nail!
    Here is a picture of my ugly mug in period attire.
    FB_IMG_1447218656963_zpsg83m71am.jpg
    [/IMG]

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Welcome to Ingo, Joyce123. I would also like to see a black powder forum. Until then, I just come to this 69 page thread. Lol
    What types of black powder weapons are you shooting/interested in?

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    RustyHornet,
    No time like the present to get into the hobby. But be for warned, it is addictive! And like most hobbies, it can get expensive. Lol

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    RustyHornet,
    No time like the present to get into the hobby. But be for warned, it is addictive! And like most hobbies, it can get expensive. Lol
    I plan to go to Noblesville in Feb for the Conner show and Kalamazoo in March. Never have been to the Conner show before but I know Kzoo is good.
    RustyHornet, You may want to come to the Gathering at 5 Medals in October. It is only 45 miles NW of Fort Wayne.

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    The Conner show is a good one. Try to make it every year. Linton Trade show is a great one, for a small venue. They make the most of their space.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well aware of the expensive part.... That's the main thing holding me back, funds just aren't there for it right now. I had planned on making it to friendship this year but wasn't able to. I've driven past a muzzleloading place north on US33 heading out of Fort Wayne I'd say probably about 45 miles or so, have never stopped because I was on work duty. This possible the place you're talking about?

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    Well aware of the expensive part.... That's the main thing holding me back, funds just aren't there for it right now. I had planned on making it to friendship this year but wasn't able to. I've driven past a muzzleloading place north on US33 heading out of Fort Wayne I'd say probably about 45 miles or so, have never stopped because I was on work duty. This possible the place you're talking about?

I'm guessing you are talking about Stones trace. Their event is in September. Not as strict period correct but still worth attending.
    Gathering at 5 Medals us further north. A mile west of Benton. Period rules are pretty strict.
    Gathering at Five Medals :: Home

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Anyone else have any black powder builds or projects going, this winter?
    I have started a build on a French smoothbore. It is going to be a Tulle Fusil Fin (fine fusil) / Officer's Fusil. It has a 44" octagon to round barrel, inlet in a Walnut stock. Furniture is fancy, engraved iron. It will have a White brass thumb piece in letter in the wrist and the fancier Fusil Fin side plate.
    Also talking about making some winter shoe packs and would like to break out the sewing machine and sew up a new wool weskit. I am thinking January and February might be long and cold. :D

mistersmith

Shooter
    Jan 4, 2016
    NWI
    Just purchased this new CVA Hawken 50 cal muzzle loader for $100. I took it out and sighted it in at 50 yards and it not only shot great but recoil was very lite. I am starting to wonder why I gave up M/L 10 years ago. Well at least I returned.
    hawk.jpg

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Just purchased this new CVA Hawken 50 cal muzzle loader for $100. I took it out and sighted it in at 50 yards and it not only shot great but recoil was very lite. I am starting to wonder why I gave up M/L 10 years ago. Well at least I returned.
    hawk.jpg

Welcome back to the BP fold. You sound like me except I was out of the BP fold for 18 years.

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Welcome back to BP, mistersmith. That was a great buy on the Hawken. I must admit, I did cringe a little when I looked at the scope mounted on it, but I am a hard core traditionalist. ;)

Trying to figure out the front sling mount. It looks like it is attached to the under barrel rib and the wiping stick (ramrod) goes through it.

ScouT6a

Master
    Mar 11, 2013
    Current project. Been working on a Virginia style long rifle the last few days.
    20160112_155822_zps0ty36lsg.jpg
    [/IMG]
    20160112_160636_zpsfewcw9pd.jpg
    [/IMG]

Top Bottom