• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    During his "Intro to Defensive Pistol" class in April, Gunsite instructor and Boone County Sheriff Ken Campbell recommended against using the Serpa. If I recall correctly, his comment was not specific to the design potential for an ND (though there's clearly that), but rather that debris or mechanical failure could leave you with a firearm stuck in the holster.

Last edited:

Demo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    I've heard nothing but great things about Mr. Campbell's class. I look forward to attending one!

In regards to the Serpa... I've gotta say " really"?. The likelihood of being in a gravel lot going to the ground in a life or death struggle is pretty low. Not to mention you've still got to some how get grit into the button.

All gear can and will fail. Taking anything from a YouTube hero screwing around while video taping himself is ridiculous.

"Tex" has posted many, many videos of himself. People really need to check them out before getting religious about anything.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I wonder if making the button easier to hit( maybe heat it and bend it out some ) would make the problem less likely to occur. Seems like the problem happens when the shooter pulls on the grip before he hits the release. Making the release easier to actuate would reduce the possibility of not getting it disengaged during the draw.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    but rather that debris or mechanical failure could leave you with a firearm stuck in the holster.

This was also brought up in an MDFI class I took. They had seen several Serpas fail in force-on-force classes where students were fighting from the ground. Debris or the force applied directly to the holster from the ground was causing some Serpa mechanisms to fail, locking the gun into the holster.

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    This was also brought up in an MDFI class I took. They had seen several Serpas fail in force-on-force classes where students were fighting from the ground. Debris or the force applied directly to the holster from the ground was causing some Serpa mechanisms to fail, locking the gun into the holster.

Exactly. And did MDFI take any position on drinking one's own urine?

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    "Tex" has posted many, many videos of himself. People really need to check them out before getting religious about anything.
    As fun as it is to attack Tex's character, it has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion.

Gunsite, Vickers, Wilson, Suarez Int., Tactical Response, etc. haven't banned SERPA's from their courses because of Tex. Most did it long before Tex's video hit the airwaves.

It just so happens that Tex captured on video what many highly qualified and experienced instructors have been warning about and seeing on their ranges for several years.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    OK, I just ordered one of these holsters for my new Glock 21. Dang, I should have read the post 1st. Looks like I will be sending it back and selecting a different one.

Thanks for the post.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Excellent presentation, I'd rep ya but I have to spread it around.
    Thanks Indy, I do appreciate it.

I realize there are two sides to every coin and others either don't see the same flaws that I do in the SERPA or do see them but just don't think they're much of a problem. But from where I sit there are other alternatives on the market that don't share the design issues that I believe are shortcomings in the SERPA design.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    You know, I don't own a Serpa, and after all the coverage I don't think I would... not to say that I'm "buying" into any "religion" on the subject, but to me at least it is not worth my life for the possibility of my sidearm being unattainable when I need it the most.... I mean come on guys with all the variables we can't control in a life or death encounter this is one we can control! Too me the risks of the Serpa (ND/AD and/or permanent retention) far outweigh any benefit the Serpa could offer....

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    There are so many good holsters out there to choose from, that do not the have this controversy. Seems to me like a no brainer to not choose a Serpa.

Top Bottom