Bloomington Bans Retail Selling Of Cats and Dogs…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I don’t know Best Friends but I despise ASPCA. BTW, that was an article quote.

It is government overreach to do this. Then to just shut down a business is BS. What next, just decide to outlaw engineering?

Dogs are property. Taxed and regulated as such.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Do tell? Mine are not taxed or regulated at least not in direct terms.
    Certain counties have dog taxes paid with property taxes.

For the rest, shoot someone for hurting your dog. It will become obvious that dogs are property.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    And the AKC has been aiding and abetting the breeding of unhealthy canines because of the particular conformation that they require from show dogs. German Shepherds and hip dysplasia are one prominent example
    An AKC dog has a traceable family tree. The gsd was bred as a working dog and color wasn't a concern at first. The German military started using the dogs and took over the breeding program. They desired the black and tan and tried to breed out the color. The first gsd's grandfather was a white shepherding sheep dog mutt, chosen for his working ability. Not only was he a key to making the breed a success, he is part of the breed's DNA. Gsd,s carry these recessive genes. That said, I have a white shepherd that is excluded from confirmation showing because it isn't a desirable color for the breed. Their official reason today is because they don't stand out against the sheep.:bs:My dog is allowed to perform and award in obedience competition, but can't show.
    The slant back shepherds started being desirable in confirmation during the 1930's and still today. These are the dogs that have the hip problems. In my opinion which means nothing, I feel this also steps away from the breed standard. I prefer the straight back.

As far as how breeders work, AKC only allows two litters per year. Mills register overbred litters with another register. A litter from AKC parents can be registered CKC. CKC has no lineage tracing. All their offspring can be registered CKC with no limits on breeding, promoting overcrowding and cross breeding. The whole litter is usually sold to one person that advertises the pups out of their home. You feel good about it because they're registered and you're not picking them up from a puppy mill. Obviously the parents wouldn't be on site. This is a job for some people. Pick up a liter, sell it from their nice suburban home, repeat. I dislike the AKC snobbery, but it's a guarantee it is pure bread, unlike other registers. The lineage is traceable. If you're going to get an AKC dog, get a dog with one of the parents on site. They are still bred for working dogs and a few are picked to work, the rest sold.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Where do pet shops buy their litters from? I don't know. Does anyone have information on this? Are they usually CKC? :tinfoil:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I do not. I don't remember where I read it and my memory may be off, but the puppy mills do supply a large percentage of the puppies for sale in pet shops.
    As I am not a pet guy per se, so what is a “puppy mill”? Logically it seems like an unfavored breeder, if so where is the delineation between breeder and “puppy mill”.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Then they will bemoan the fact that the breeds went extinct.
    I remember watching a documentary about the elephants and there was one of these crazy people on it. She said she would rather that they be extinct than for one elephant to be hunted.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    As I am not a pet guy per se, so what is a “puppy mill”? Logically it seems like an unfavored breeder, if so where is the delineation between breeder and “puppy mill”.
    Typically operations with large numbers of dogs kept in overcrowded pens and cages and kept exclusively for breeding. Conditions are also unsanitary and the health of the animals can be in jeopardy.

1672676734107.png 1672676746819.png 1672676765063.png

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    We’ve had rescues for years but it’s gotten so idiotic trying to rescue that the last 3 for us were purchased from an AKC breeder. The two we have now have red in their coat and shared the same father but different mothers from two different “breeders”. They both were in Michigan and do one litter per mother per year. They trace back to the Czech Republic and the working line but have sloped backs. None of the three have had hip problems.
    2F705198-A7A3-40A8-8B47-08AB312910F1.jpeg
    The last time we tried to get a rescue they had 3 pages of requirements that we didn’t meet. Considering we’ve never lost a dog, always kept them as happy as possible and to us they are our children. To tell us we aren’t the right match? Yeah. GFY peeps. This is why we have problems with adoptions.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We’ve had rescues for years but it’s gotten so idiotic trying to rescue that the last 3 for us were purchased from an AKC breeder. The two we have now have red in their coat and shared the same father but different mothers from two different “breeders”. They both were in Michigan and do one litter per mother per year. They trace back to the Czech Republic and the working line but have sloped backs. None of the three have had hip problems.
    View attachment 245625
    The last time we tried to get a rescue they had 3 pages of requirements that we didn’t meet. Considering we’ve never lost a dog, always kept them as happy as possible and to us they are our children. To tell us we aren’t the right match? Yeah. GFY peeps. This is why we have problems with adoptions.
    Do gooders doing good know no limits

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Delusional nonsense.

Bloomington: police are bad, we need police to enforce our mindless prohibitions.

What do you suspect the skin color of the first one prosecuted under this ordinance will be?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Where do pet shops buy their litters from? I don't know. Does anyone have information on this? Are they usually CKC? :tinfoil:
    I just got educated. My dog was from a Montgomery Amish farm a few miles west of Loogootee. My family settled in Montgomery over 200 years ago. I still have family there. The only thing I feel good about is my dog was in the home and the father was on site.

Last edited:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    As far as how breeders work, AKC only allows two litters per year.
    Dogs generally go into heat twice a year. Pregnancy lasts around 63 days. They are nursing their pups for 4+ weeks. How are dogs having more than two litters a year?

When we had a breeding pair of Maremmas, there would be a litter about every 9 months.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I really would not be surprised if owning and keeping pets at some point in time, is outlawed and the wokesters in those days will look back at us as little more than slave owners.
    Nah, they will never outlaw pets, because they are a key component in the emotional ecosystem of animal rights. It makes ordinary people feel like they have "skin in the game." For animal rights to succeed, you need people to be stoopid emotional about the subject. Pet ownership is the primary social mechanism for blurring the legal lines between humans and animals. It's like healthcare - they want it, they just don't want anybody to make a profit from it.

They don't want to outlaw pets. They want to make sure you get your pet from a gatekeeper animal social worker who will make you fill out more paperwork than you do when buying a gun.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Dogs generally go into heat twice a year. Pregnancy lasts around 63 days. They are nursing their pups for 4+ weeks. How are dogs having more than two litters a year?

When we had a breeding pair of Maremmas, there would be a litter about every 9 months.
    I am not a breeder. :dunno:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I just got educated. My dog was from Montgomery, Amish farm. My family settled there over 200 years ago, still have family there. The only thing I feel good about is my dog was in the home and the father was on site.

OMG! WTHR breaks the bubble of an unrealistic dream, that millions of puppies commercially sold do not come from puppy heaven, they are bred in commercial environments. The slats are too wide in the crate is the big complaint?

This goes right up there with those that believe food comes from a grocery store. Many of the problems in our world could be solved if everyone had a background that taught the harsh realities of life, death, that living close to the land and nature teach.

Top Bottom