Bloomington Bans Retail Selling Of Cats and Dogs…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Dogs generally go into heat twice a year. Pregnancy lasts around 63 days. They are nursing their pups for 4+ weeks. How are dogs having more than two litters a year?

When we had a breeding pair of Maremmas, there would be a litter about every 9 months.
    Ok, googlefoo. I only searched gsd. Smaller, younger dogs can go into heat 3 or 4 times a year. Too young and underdeveloped to produce healthy puppies, and not allowing more than two litters is supposed to discourage this.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Dogs generally go into heat twice a year. Pregnancy lasts around 63 days. They are nursing their pups for 4+ weeks. How are dogs having more than two litters a year?

When we had a breeding pair of Maremmas, there would be a litter about every 9 months.
    Usually hormones

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    OMG! WTHR breaks the bubble of an unrealistic dream, that millions of puppies commercially sold do not come from puppy heaven, they are bred in commercial environments. The slats are too wide in the crate is the big complaint?

This goes right up there with those that believe food comes from a grocery store. Many of the problems in our world could be solved if everyone had a background that taught the harsh realities of life, death, that living close to the land and nature teach.
    True, that. America won WW2 and put a man on the moon while dogs were chained to outdoor doghouses. We were a stronger nation then. Prove me wrong.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Not so sure they encourage hip dysplasia directly though as it is common for akc breeders to have ofa certs

BUT the whole show vs working lines of German Shepherds with the sloping back vs straight. Bow that's enough to get me riled.
    Yes, the sloping hind quarters for show is what I was referencing as far as conformation. Certain bloodlines in other working dogs like Labs also result in weak hip joints and thigh bones that are thin relative to the dog's adult weight. Also not a big fan of ear surgery or bobbing tails

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    True, that. America won WW2 and put a man on the moon while dogs were chained to outdoor doghouses. We were a stronger nation then. Prove me wrong.
    The Romans had the greatest empire the world had ever seen while torturing and crucifying their dissidents and enemies, too

Cruelty is cruelty. If it takes being able to be cruel to weak and helpless animals to make us strong then we are doomed

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yes, the sloping hind quarters for show is what I was referencing as far as conformation. Certain bloodlines in other working dogs like Labs also result in weak hip joints and thigh bones that are thin relative to the dog's adult weight. Also not a big fan of ear surgery or bobbing tails
    I am not a fan of any of the nonsense they do for showing animals.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Part of me likes the idea of people who want a dog/cat for a fur baby having to adopt a shelter animal. The other part of me has no illusions to what will happen down the road with this law.
    I respect the hell out of people who adopt shelter dogs. However it’s not for me. I looked at multiple shelters as well as contacted a GSD rescue trying to adopt one. The shelters are full of pit bull mix’s. I don’t want one. Shelters in my experience want you to hand over way too much information about your life. “Oh you’ve never owned this breed? Sorry you don’t have the necessary experience.” “You don’t go jogging every morning, this dog is too high energy for you” “your acreage is huge, but you don’t have a fence around it, sorry please install $1000’s in fencing”. The GSD rescue didn’t get back to me for multiple months. When they did I had went and bought a puppy already. My issue is mainly with the shelters. I’m just not jumping through their hoops.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I respect the hell out of people who adopt shelter dogs. However it’s not for me. I looked at multiple shelters as well as contacted a GSD rescue trying to adopt one. The shelters are full of pit bull mix’s. I don’t want one. Shelters in my experience want you to hand over way too much information about your life. “Oh you’ve never owned this breed? Sorry you don’t have the necessary experience.” “You don’t go jogging every morning, this dog is too high energy for you” “your acreage is huge, but you don’t have a fence around it, sorry please install $1000’s in fencing”. The GSD rescue didn’t get back to me for multiple months. When they did I had went and bought a puppy already. My issue is mainly with the shelters. I’m just not jumping through their hoops.
    Recommend looking at Halocollar.com or spotonfence.com

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    But with a bunch of regulations utopia is around the corner…

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Me and the Mrs. were in the Bloomington mall last week. There is a Pet Store inside. Inside that Pet Store were no less than a dozen dogs for sale. Nearly all of them were puppies and listed as purebreds. I didn't see any prices, but I didn't really look as I'm not in the market for a new dog. Weird that store exist with that ordinance in place. Maybe there's a work-around?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    "No-kill" shelters are often "animal tenements" that take animals from the kill shelters to prevent them being killed. The animals there are often stacked in cages like perdue chickens, and the people give off the vibe they'd rather keep the animal than home it out (which, drumroll, is part of the reason why they have animals stacked on top of animals).

If I ever adopt from a shelter, it will be a big-city "kill type" shelter. They would prefer not to have to kill any animals, and are more interested in giving them homes than controlling your life.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Do gooders doing good know no limits
    That's no lie. One of them denied us because we had another female in the house. One denied us because we would be away from home for more than 3 hours (yes, 3 hours). One denied us because our 2 acres was not fenced. One wouldn't even "interview" us because we were too rural (Not sure how that works). We had 4 others that wouldn't return our calls or emails.

With the two I pictured earlier we contacted the ladies, put a down payment and picked up the puppy at 8 weeks. They already knew we were "shephard people" and what we were getting into.

Top Bottom