• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    New in box means new. Like you just bought it. If it's BNIB and a few years old, then it's NOS (new, old stock).

If it's been fired by anyone after the initial sale, it's not new. Period. It's like new, nearly new, practically new, super clean, etc. But it is not new.

If i drive a car off the lot and sell it the next week, it's not new.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Did they fire it before they packaged it in the box to sell? Yes? Then it's irrelevant.

The simple act of the owner removing the gun from the box, then firing it, makes it no longer "NIB", let alone, "BNIB". You can legitimately call it, "LNIB".

"I'd like to buy a new gun"
    "Here you go"
    "But it has been fired"
    "Yea but that was before it left the factory"
    "What difference does that make?"
    "Guns can remember these things"
    "Oh, ok, here is my money"

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is no longer "brand new in mint condition" then. It's a fired, used gun.

Just like anything else you might buy and take home. Once you clear the door it is used and pre-owned. How anybody fails to see this is a bit confusing.

Bought new never shot is possible description but new in the box is still sitting in the box at the LGS.

We can argue semantics on this but hey, once you do the 4473 it is yours. Once it is yours it is used/pre-owned what ever.

BNIB only 150 fired is not a BNIB piece.

JMHO of course.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    "I'd like to buy a new gun"
    "Here you go"
    "But it has been fired"
    "Yea but that was before it left the factory"
    "What difference does that make?"
    "Guns can remember these things"
    "Oh, ok, here is my money"

Oh please. Thy test drive cars as well. Motor cycles etc. Dyno ran t the factory and test driven but as long as it is at the dealer and untitled........."New"

Once titled.....Used/pre-owned.

Again, arguing semantics.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Just like anything else you might buy and take home. Once you clear the door it is used and pre-owned. How anybody fails to see this is a bit confusing.

Bought new never shot is possible description but new in the box is still sitting in the box at the LGS.

We can argue semantics on this but hey, once you do the 4473 it is yours. Once it is yours it is used/pre-owned what ever.

BNIB only 150 fired is not a BNIB piece.

JMHO of course.
    Ive used like new in box i think. If someone is too stupid to understand the difference then i hope they never buy a gun off me

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Just like anything else you might buy and take home. Once you clear the door it is used and pre-owned. How anybody fails to see this is a bit confusing. .

I think "Brand new mint condition" was the wording used. Not whether it was pre-owned.
    Will give up and admit that in the most strictly technical (anal retentive) sense a gun that is fired a couple times by the owner is indeed in used condition.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    Had a girlfriend in high school like that-BNIB, BNB- something like that. False advertising at its finest.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I'll give it to someone to use BNIB if they take it out, inspect it, take pictures then put it away. Taking it to the range and shooting it then bringing it back and calling it BNIB isn't accurate.

Sorry, I don't count factory testing as making a gun "used". It's part of the manufacturing process and quality control before it leaves the factory.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Uh BNIB is from a dealer,distributor,manufacturer if I am buying it from a non FFL it’s used.
    I personally cannot wrap my head around the price of used firearms often selling for equal to or more than what you can find new for online.
    I understand somewhat rare no longer made firearm commands a premium price but a SIG p365, or something like it is worth more than the sticker?

cbhausen is right firearms are worth what someone willing pay for them!

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I think "Brand new mint condition" was the wording used. Not whether it was pre-owned.
    Will give up and admit that in the most strictly technical (anal retentive) sense a gun that is fired a couple times by the owner is indeed in used condition.

Yep. Exact working is "Brand new mint condition in box with 3 mags and all accessories. Only fired a couple of times."

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Well technically no gun is BNIB because they all get test fired. Minds blown :):

Not to mention all the handling/mag scuffing/dry firing and general coon fingering many of them get at the LGS.

I am of the "if it left the dealer it is used" camp. How and how much it's been used affects my perception of value.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

:woot: I am anal :woot:

Just telling it like I see it. Once the "4473" is filed, you swipe your card or lay down your cash it is now used in the clearest sense of the word.....:):

Yeah I am anal I guess. Good call.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Not to mention all the handling/mag scuffing/dry firing and general coon fingering many of them get at the LGS.

I am of the "if it left the dealer it is used" camp. How and how much it's been used affects my perception of value.
    I agree with you.
    I've seen many guns come from the factory with dings and knicks and dirty. You can shoot a gun and it be in the same condition as when you bought it. It really comes down to a buyer being smart enough to understand the difference in used and new, it isnt about condition to me. If its had a 4473 its used period. If someone wants to pay you retail for it good for you. If someone is going to go into a shop and pay that i dont know why they complain if tommy is selling his same condition used one for the same money. Now if tommy is asking more than retail then let him, I'm sure some sucker will pay it eventually. But will we make fun of tommy? Absolutely

Top Bottom