• ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think in some cases people will pay at or above retail for a popular firearm because they see a private sale without a 4473 as better than having a 4473 with their name on it. I’ve heard arguments both ways regarding this. Personally, I’ve never cared about having my name on a 4473 but I can see why some people like the idea of a “broken” paper trail.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think in some cases people will pay at or above retail for a popular firearm because they see a private sale without a 4473 as better than having a 4473 with their name on it. I’ve heard arguments both ways regarding this. Personally, I’ve never cared about having my name on a 4473 but I can see why some people like the idea of a “broken” paper trail.

Yup.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Putting “factory test fired only” in the ad would clear a lot of the ambiguity.

To me, "mint" is a reference for an historic item. Something that has been used - likely an unknown number of times - but looks like it is fresh off the final assembly line.

It doesn't make sense to call something that is new, in "mint" condition. Its new. Its supposed to be mint.

BNIB for me would be something I literally haven't opened. Not sure how I would acquire something like that - I tend not to buy something unless I'm going to at least try it.

I would say something like "lightly used AR stock, installed and tested, didn't like it, got something I liked better." The fact that it was maybe used for 1 range session, I would reflect that in the price. Not much discount at all. Same for a firearm. Each cycle of shooting and cleaning would result in a greater discount. Dings and stuff equate to discounts, too.

Agreed, I don't understand how one buys a gun and doesn't shoot it before selling it, unless I sell it on the way home from the gun store.

I have used LNIB, and that is in the case of a gun that I bought as a backup to the EDC, and even those get shot by me as a function check before getting put in the safe.
    I'm always curious about the guns that are BNIB, never shot, but have a ton of parts swapped out as well. Just not sure how someone starts swapping parts before at least function checking the gun as it came from the factory.

Not to mention all the handling/mag scuffing/dry firing and general coon fingering many of them get at the LGS.

I am of the "if it left the dealer it is used" camp. How and how much it's been used affects my perception of value.

Me too, and I'm so anal, when I buy new from an LGS, I want the one in a box in the back, not the display model.

If I'm buying used that is one thing. If I am buying new, I want a new one... but that's a while different conversation.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    It is no longer "brand new in mint condition" then. It's a fired, used gun.
    I agree! Enough with massaging the words and semantics. If it’s been fired, shot only a few times, one magazine fired, etc. it is a used gun, period. End of story and, no, you can’t ask MSRP for a used, but “brand new in mint condition” gun. It’s used!

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'll give it to someone to use BNIB if they take it out, inspect it, take pictures then put it away. Taking it to the range and shooting it then bringing it back and calling it BNIB isn't accurate.

Sorry, I don't count factory testing as making a gun "used". It's part of the manufacturing process and quality control before it leaves the factory.

Like a 1911... "You cain't hurt that thang".
    It starts out with deception and will probably get worse as long as the ad is active.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Me too, and I'm so anal, when I buy new from an LGS, I want the one in a box in the back, not the display model.

If I'm buying used that is one thing. If I am buying new, I want a new one... but that's a while different conversation.

Me, too. I've seen some display models that have been handled so much they looked like something I drew from the arms room in the Army. Okay, maybe not that bad, but rough.

Fortunately, the LGS's I frequent will get one from the back, if they have one. So the last couple of BNIB purchases I made were, well, really BNIB.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Me, too. I've seen some display models that have been handled so much they looked like something I drew from the arms room in the Army. Okay, maybe not that bad, but rough.

Fortunately, the LGS's I frequent will get one from the back, if they have one. So the last couple of BNIB purchases I made were, well, really BNIB.

Yep, mine too. Never been a problem to get one from the back.

Cardsfan29315

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    New Albany
    I wish I could help you out but it puzzles me as well. I collect older Smith revolvers and I see them described as mint condition all the time yet when I look at the pictures there’s an obvious drag line, muzzle wear and multiple scratches on the gun and grips.
    I just thought that my definition of mint condition was different or maybe my standards were too high since I’m fairly new to the gun collecting world (been in it for 3-4 years).
    I’m glad I’m not The Lone Ranger when it comes to this.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    But what if I get the needle in a haystack and buy a car with 0 miles on the dash. Have it lifted with a crane onto a flatbed towed home and lifted on to car dolly's and rolled into the garage.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    But what if I get the needle in a haystack and buy a car with 0 miles on the dash. Have it lifted with a crane onto a flatbed towed home and lifted on to car dolly's and rolled into the garage.

If you title it its used........................:p

If you did this in 87 and bought a new Buick GN this way I really doubt anyone would care...:):

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I wish I could help you out but it puzzles me as well. I collect older Smith revolvers and I see them described as mint condition all the time yet when I look at the pictures there’s an obvious drag line, muzzle wear and multiple scratches on the gun and grips.
    I just thought that my definition of mint condition was different or maybe my standards were too high since I’m fairly new to the gun collecting world (been in it for 3-4 years).
    I've seen this as well. And no, your standards are not too high. Some people are liars (and apparently also stupid).

I have actually sold one gun BNIB. I bought it brand new from an online store, decided I didn't want it after all without shooting it, and sold it. Otherwise, I state "purchased new but I put about a dozen rounds through it" or something like that.

If I'm selling a gun that I purchased used from someone else, I state "round count unknown" no matter what they told me.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

Even better when they just post a pic from an online source and not of the actual gun they are selling. That's an automatic no go in my book.

Top Bottom