Bob Rohrman's in Fort Wayne sucks...avoid at all costs...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Actually......In the reality of this whole thing.....I see that what is happening is a call out on picking that particular car. Of course it is your choice. Your finances etc.
    But you opened up with a statement of reliable transportation. That put this whole opinion of choice thing in motion. That car would raise a red flag with most of us and it has been obvious from the posts. I have been blinded by the car. The stance, sound, power etc. in the past and paid dearly for it. Lessons learned.
    Yes, you got hosed and man I would be seriously P.O. as you are. We can only hope the word of the stealership is solid. Occasionally it is. You got hosed.

100K on the clock is most likely at least 50K of serious thrash on those cars. It would be on mine I can assure you.

I have been strolling through this life for a bit longer than some and have already made the mistakes some are about to. Doing what you just did was one of them. Buying a Hi-Po car with out doing my proper due diligence. I got seriously hosed with no recourse and it set me back.
    I believe what you are experiencing is some seasoned opinions. Mixed in with the usual snark. This is Ingo by the way...:):

I would be contacting anyone that can help you shove that turd back up the channel it came from. I hope you get some satisfaction in the end.

When you are looking at your next one use this lesson. I wish you luck. Happy hunting.

Let me know how this turns out for you.

This sums it up for me and is sound advice as was BBI's posts. Whether you choose to read it as good natured advice or take it is totally up to you op. For the record I would have said everything I did here to you just the same as I said it to my best friend and maybe added in a back of the head slap of endearment..
    I was hoping you'd laugh with what I said initially (I also,said you got done wrong and wished you luck) but in the back of my mind I figured you'd take it badly and you have. Reading over and over in your posts how you are not new to cars and know what youre looking at and won't get taken or tricked ECT ECT, then reading the lists of issues with the car, I just shook my head.
    If you would have said a reliable fun car I probably would have never even posted in your thread.
    No one is making fun of your income, or relishing in the fact that you got screwed so i don't know how you could say people are against you. I think youre a little hot headed and maybe young (full of **** and vinegar weve all been there) and need to look at the above posts with an open mind. Or dont. You're the one who decided to post your story here, were all just along for the ride. Like others have said, call up the media and give them some bad press and maybe it will work. If not talk to a civil lawyer. I doubt you have a criminal case but I'm not a lawyer.

Last edited:

Freebird01

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Well yeah it's supposed to be fun as well...that's a given...or so I thought lol

Hot headed...yea I can be so fair assessment...young...well that's all relative...I'm 37 not that it matters much.

I never said I wouldn't get taken.... Those statements are more to the point that I'm not just some guy who doesn't know how to change his oil... again... I fairly new to ingo (regardless of my join date) so only one person on here has ever met me in person...a little personal background can help make a clearer picture.... But even a trained mechanic can get taken...

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Actually......In the reality of this whole thing.....I see that what is happening is a call out on picking that particular car. Of course it is your choice. Your finances etc.
    But you opened up with a statement of reliable transportation. That put this whole opinion of choice thing in motion. That car would raise a red flag with most of us and it has been obvious from the posts. I have been blinded by the car. The stance, sound, power etc. in the past and paid dearly for it. Lessons learned.
    Yes, you got hosed and man I would be seriously P.O. as you are. We can only hope the word of the stealership is solid. Occasionally it is. You got hosed.

100K on the clock is most likely at least 50K of serious thrash on those cars. It would be on mine I can assure you.

I have been strolling through this life for a bit longer than some and have already made the mistakes some are about to. Doing what you just did was one of them. Buying a Hi-Po car with out doing my proper due diligence. I got seriously hosed with no recourse and it set me back.
    I believe what you are experiencing is some seasoned opinions. Mixed in with the usual snark. This is Ingo by the way...:):

I would be contacting anyone that can help you shove that turd back up the channel it came from. I hope you get some satisfaction in the end.

When you are looking at your next one use this lesson. I wish you luck. Happy hunting.

Just my last thoughts on this one.

When I am looking at a vehicle for any reason the odometer sets my path. Anything north of 80K has me looking deeply at brakes/belts/hoses etc just to see how it has been maintained. Pulling dipsticks/air breather box/looking at the coolant level and color are standard practice for me anyway.
    Looked at a car for the SIL last year. Monti Carlo SS of near the same vintage as your race horse with 95K on the clock. Outside and interior were clean as a pin.
    The standard inspection listed above had me walking away about halfway through. Trans fluid showed little life left. Engine oil was way overdue. Belt was cracked and soon to depart the pulleys. Rotors were a strange goldish color. Car had been flogged.

Again not a knock. Just a statement of fact.

Oh yeah.....if the salesman drove that car over to you he had to know it was full of suckage. He needs a serious tune up.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    I have no dog in this fight but just to help..... First I'm sorry to hear your not happy with the car and The Lemon Law thing, I would think very hard before going this route, it's not fun. Now for the car, IF the engine was installed by the dealer and IF it came from a major auto supplier (junk yard) it should have a paper trail. Most of the time it will have a warranty and the supplier numbers can be traced back to the yard to tell what car that engine was removed from for mileage.

Seems that they are working with you to get the repairs that you want done. Maybe not as fast as you want them done but you might try to understand they might sell 100 + cars a month (don't know the lot). I would try to get an extended warranty on the car. As far as the small items (loose connectors / fasteners) is it a big deal to fix them yourself? Just to make you feel better people buy brand new vehicles and have major problems, as in safety recalls, problems with engine / transmission / rear end....on and on and on. Just be glad you didn't plunk down $30 $40 $50,000 or more and have problems.

Freebird01

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Yea I'd like to punch the salesman in the mouth for multiple reasons.

Air cleaner element was new...fluids were where they should be... Rotors all looked good...belts were ok. I did look at that stuff later in the evening before signing papers since the rain had stopped.

Freebird01

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I have no dog in this fight but just to help..... First I'm sorry to hear your not happy with the car and The Lemon Law thing, I would think very hard before going this route, it's not fun. Now for the car, IF the engine was installed by the dealer and IF it came from a major auto supplier (junk yard) it should have a paper trail. Most of the time it will have a warranty and the supplier numbers can be traced back to the yard to tell what car that engine was removed from for mileage.

Seems that they are working with you to get the repairs that you want done. Maybe not as fast as you want them done but you might try to understand they might sell 100 + cars a month (don't know the lot). I would try to get an extended warranty on the car. As far as the small items (loose connectors / fasteners) is it a big deal to fix them yourself? Just to make you feel better people buy brand new vehicles and have major problems, as in safety recalls, problems with engine / transmission / rear end....on and on and on. Just be glad you didn't plunk down $30 $40 $50,000 or more and have problems.

If I could buy new I would have went that route. Unfortunately the budget won't allow that...

I've tried getting info on the engine itself but not getting anywhere on that.

Once the salesman was out of the loop, the sales manager has been taking care of the repair bills. The frustrating part is I keep getting conflicting stories from them or the fact that it took me calling after 3 days just to get an appointment. Had I not found out the history and what the suburu lot had done the situation wouldn't be near as bad.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    More logic and less emotion.... You guys want to come out here and sit in a high horse and pass judgement....and none of you know me personally... Then personally attack me and try and correct me like I'm a child...

It's amazing that out of all of this it seems you guys just want to bash me...nevermind then fact I got screwed on a vehicle that was most certainly not sold as junk (regardless of it's actual condition)... If you actually read my first post you can see I acknowledged what I was buying. I was realistic... There are cosmetic flaws I acknowledged and accepted because of what it was...I also said multiple times I probably should have looked it over a bit better...but apparently that fell on impatient eyes as well (because no one reads the full story anyway)

When buying a vehicle you expect to have something reliable in that it's not going to shop multiple times before the first payment has been made. Again... I said reliable... not perfect... And since when does 100k mean a death sentence to a vehicle... I don't care if it's a mustang, a taurus, or some other vehicle on 4 wheels...
    Take it with a grain of salt. This is INGO. Somebody will always "fly farther, fart louder, and ...k deeper then you. Sorry about the ride you are being taken on. :wavey:

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    If I could buy new I would have went that route. Unfortunately the budget won't allow that...

I've tried getting info on the engine itself but not getting anywhere on that.

Once the salesman was out of the loop, the sales manager has been taking care of the repair bills. The frustrating part is I keep getting conflicting stories from them or the fact that it took me calling after 3 days just to get an appointment. Had I not found out the history and what the suburu lot had done the situation wouldn't be near as bad.

The imply on new was that even new cars have problems but the the amounts are probably a lot higher.

Try for the extended warranty. You might get a discount on it for your troubles.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I am certainly following as much recourse as I can. I gave them an ultimatum yesterday

I would be careful about how I phrase things.
    Other than the 30 day guarantee, I am sure that somewhere in the paperwork that you signed you agreed to purchase the car as-is.
    At this point, i would only be dealing with the owner or general manager, and I would be putting my thoughts in writing to build a paper trail.
    I know that you are claiming fraud, but it can be expensive and time consuming to prove.

Good luck!

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have a phrase called "Swimming Up Stream"

When any deal starts off or when things go against the natural flow I'm out.

Five hours to get the deal done would have been a walking point for me.

Several years ago I decided I wanted to get a four wheeler when my insurance guy suggested I ride with him and his buddy up north on the trails in Michigan.

I do a search and find one about 1.5 hours away. Mrs Glue was throwing out the are you sure you want to do this and I'm not sure it's a good idea. She is normally onboard with all my purchases but this one she was hedging.

I call all the guy before heading there and he says "Hey I tried the start it and the battery is bad so we will have to jump start it.

I get there and he tells me the title is messed up with writing over the date.

All things I can take care of but I'm pretty exhausted from swimming up stream by now.

I buy the four wheeler because it's just what I have been looking for. (It was a shinny object)

I put all tires on it a new battery and nerf bars. I buy a helmet and goggles.

Now I'm ready to go north to go ridding on the trails. I call my insurance guy and he said his buddy owns a cabin in Baldwin and they will be planning a trip in the next few weeks.

He he gives me a call and said they will be headed up north in two weeks. He said they will leave on Sunday morning around 6:00 AM for the 3 hr drive up there. I said I can't go on Sunday due to missing church. I asked if they ever do a Saturday trip, he said no because he goes to church on Saturday.

I never got to go up north and only rode the four wheeler around the block once.
    It sat in the garage for a year.
    I finally got tired of looking at my mistake and moved it to the shed for another year.

I wound up selling it and had just enough money for my wife and I to go on a mission trip to Honduras.

That was a $3,000 lesson that taught me about swimming up stream.

In the end God still received the glory when we helped build a church on the island of Roatan.

since then I have passed on lots of deals when things start to go wrong.

I hope things work out in the end for you Freebird.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

I have confidence that he will definitely use this lesson on his next car.

He won't say anything to all us *******s in INGO!!!!:rockwoot::laugh::p:stickpoke:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    It's a 12 year old car with nearly 100,000 miles. "It had a bunch of cosmetic flaws"=Big Red Flag.

I don't think that's a big deal depending on the vehicle. A 12 year old half ton, 3/4 ton name brand truck like a Silverado or Ford or even a Jeep Wrangler, not a big deal. Hell even a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry wouldn't be a big deal.

A sports car? I'd have walked away.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    View attachment 57764

Warning to all INGO do not buy a used car from me! I run the snot out of them then trade them in.
    Oh they will be Dodge certified one owner cars with a clean carfax. That will not tell you about the tire smoking burnouts ect.
    I buy them to use not look at as do most people that buy a performance car.
    I have always driven performance cars in my younger years I had to purchase used ones.
    The following are tips or lessons learned on buying a high performance car.
    1. Stock
    No aftermarket parts intakes,exhaust,wheels,tuners, chances are good if you find a unmolsted example it was not run as hard.

2. Auto
    Generally speaking a car with an auto will not suffer the drive line abuse of a manual transmission car. In addition it will not had the engine abuse of missing a shift at 6500 rpm.

3. Body panel alignment
    Mustangs in particular compare the drivers side hood and door alignment to the passenger side. If a car has been launched hard over and over it will bend the unibody the car will never hold alignment and cannot be fixed.

4. Engine
    Look for broken connectors bolts that have had a wrench or socket on them check the wiring harness. This is of course the sign of an engine swap it takes a careful good mechanic to replace an engine and leave no signs.

5. Misc.
    Ensure seat and pedal wear match mileage. Most performance cars require 93 octane they will run on 87 but the knock sensors will retard timing over a period of time this can lead to carbon and soot build up. Many used performance cars are run on diet of 87 because the owner doesn't know the difference or doesn't care. You often can repair this with a tank of 93 an a "Italian tune up".

The 2011-14 Mustang GT with the 5.0 are a great buy right now if you can't swing one of them.
    The v6 of those years are nothing to sneeze at they are 300 hp and a hoot to drive!

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I had a friend that went to Bales in Jeffersonville to look at a car. He drove it to his mechanic to look at. The mechanic came up with a long list of issues the car had. He drove it back to the dealership and handed the salesman the list of all the problems he had neglected to inform him of. The salesman looked at the list and said "That's all of them" then turned around and walked off. This is why I will never shop at Bales.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I had a friend that went to Bales in Jeffersonville to look at a car. He drove it to his mechanic to look at. The mechanic came up with a long list of issues the car had. He drove it back to the dealership and handed the salesman the list of all the problems he had neglected to inform him of. The salesman looked at the list and said "That's all of them" then turned around and walked off. This is why I will never shop at Bales.

I worked for Bales for just over a month and quit because they were super shady. That was 17 years ago, but I'm not surprised it hasn't changed.

The sales manager for the Nissan lot used to brag about disconnecting odometers, driving the car for a year as a "program car" then selling it with no miles on it, etc. Of course you can't do that on modern cars, but it gives you the mindset there.

OP, if you think I'm bashing you, that's up to you. The reason I chimed in is I've been you. Twice. I can do simple maintenance up to and including a (pre-electronic everything) engine rebuild or swap. I bought a used Corvette back in 1998 or so. I talked to the owner, a 60-ish year old guy who sold it because his knees wouldn't let him get in and out. The car wasn't modded, it was low miles, fluids were good, etc. etc. Not exactly a barn find, but barn stored. I couldn't get under it (because it's a Corvette...) but bought it without putting it on a lift. 3 days later I had no brakes, which I discovered approaching a red light. I was able to get into a parking lot and drive circles until it stopped. On a lift to repair the brakes, I noticed that the right rear trailing arm was completely rusted out (about $1k worth of parts rusted out) and the frame had some rot. I can't weld, so that was an expensive fix I paid someone else to do. Guess who never bought another car without seeing the underside?

On a modern car (oh, say a 2005 Grand Cherokee...) if you don't have the magic box the dealers and upper end mechanics have you can't do a full inspection yourself these days, because you can't pull historical codes, you can't query sensors, etc. After dealing with the Jeep, when I bought my wife's Taurus...I took it to a Ford dealer and had them inspect it including with their magic box. You can think with your ego "I know cars, there's nothing these mechanics will find I didn't" and run the same risks next time or you can learn from the posts here and your own experience. It's well worth $100-$150 for a competent inspection and you're fooling yourself if you think they won't find things you didn't or can't.

I have not bought a used car without a 3rd party inspection since "The Jeep Incident". It was such a frustrating giant PITA, even though the dealer paid for everything and gave us a loaner vehicle. That's why I chimed in. So you could lower your chances of going through this again.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Yes and no.... the Carfax will only report what's reported to them. If a stealership doesn't report it then it's on them not Carfax.

I see this as your potential leverage point. I would imagine that Carfax works very hard to protect its reputation and having a dealership that does not properly report what they have done to a car would really upset them. Perhaps contact Carfax (or threaten to) to put some leverage on Bob Rohrman.

Rohrman dealerships suck and will lie to you to make a buck. I would not let them turn a wrench on my car unless it was necessary because of a warranty issue.

Freebird01

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I did file a claim with carfax yesterday, doubt it will go anywhere though. I spoke to the BBB this morning and they directed me to file a claim with the states attorney general's office. I'm waiting to hear back from Rohrman's today for the last time whether they will take the car back and refund my money or not. If not, then the claim will be filed and i will do what i can to pursue legal representation.

On top of everything else, today the inner fender cover managed to come loose and contact the tire and the new slave cylinder now has a dry bearing sound (like a po'ed cicadia) and is slowly getting worse.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    All I'll say is that I hope you are able to come out of this with a decent car without too much more aggravation.

There are always things we can do to protect ourselves more, but usually, we aren't dealing with people who are trying to screw us over....like the guy who traded in the Mustang to begin with.

steve0322

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2015
    Mooresville
    Im not sure I would **** on Rohrman if he was on fire.

I had an interaction with him back in the 90s when I was a teen. I was working the flight line at Greenwood airport and he and his entourage flew in on his private plane. They got out and I approached the group. I greeted the group asking if they needed anything today, how their fuel was, etc.

He looked down his nose at me like I was a leper and literally shooed me toward the others by waving the back of his hand at me. Not a word was spoken in response to my greeting or my query. I was literally not worthy to speak to him. (or so he acted)

I'll NEVER EVER do business with someone that arrogant and rude. Never.

Rohrman is a POS. I had the displeasure of being in the same elevator as him at IMS. The was he treats people is disgusting. I refuse to deal with that shyster.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom