• ...and so much more!
  • NomadS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    New Albany, IN
    Bottom Drops Out of AR-15 Market | The Truth About GunsThe Truth About Guns

It was good times for manufacturers, but now the AR-15 bubble has burst and things are looking downright depressing for manufacturers.
    At this point, everyone who “needed” an AR-15 has found one. Even if they emptied their bank accounts to do it, they have their rifle. But with sales slowing down, the price of an AR-15 is cratering. People are no longer willing to buy at the inflated “panic” prices, and dealers are starting to discount the guns in order to clear the shelves.
    The good news is that cheap AR-15s are about to flood the market. If you’ve been waiting for the “right” time to buy, now is it. Over-active manufacturing combined with people selling off their panic purchases to pay off their credit cards mean that you have the pick of the litter when it comes to guns.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    "The price of an AR-15 is cratering" assumes that one raised their prices to begin with. Not having done so, we didn't make nearly as much money as we could have during the panic, but we will now be better insulated from the coming market "slump". The way I see it, AR demand is returning to normal, which for us is still pretty darn good.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    "The price of an AR-15 is cratering" assumes that one raised their prices to begin with. Not having done so, we didn't make nearly as much money as we could have during the panic, but we will now be better insulated from the coming market "slump". The way I see it, AR demand is returning to normal, which for us is still pretty darn good.

Plus you didn't gouge your customers and lose their future business, which is the best thing possible. :yesway:

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    The father's day sale at Palmetto State Armory demonstrated this. Some of the best prices I've seen. Could have built an ORC for $590+FFL fee.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This was to be expected. I never gouged anyone and never paid the madness prices. I sold a few to friends for what I had invested and have managed to replace them at reasonable cost.
    There are still some out there that are pushing theirs at high prices but they are not selling.
    Same with the ammo

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Guess that is why I still cannot get the combo I want and had to cancel my order because they could not get product. Last week. From an order made last year.

I think in some cases the manufacturers are moving production to products that will not come under fire from the continued onslaught of political pressure.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I could have made a small fortune. Just before Sandy Hook I found RGuns had Delaware Machinery stripped lowers for $49 each + shipping.

I took full advantage of the opportunity. During the height of the panic I finished my latest rifle. I still did not pay outrageous prices, although I did have to search for about 7 months to find a 24" barrel in stock that someone didn't want a left testicle for.

At the peak of the panic I had 4 stripped lowers in my safe. The same Delaware lowers I had just paid $49 for were selling on Armslist and GunBroker for as much as $350 each!

Yes, I could have gouged somebody, but I decided I'd rather keep what I had.
    I think it's going to be a while before we find stripped lowers for $49 again.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't expect the anti's to go off and never come back. So we'll see more of the same in the future.

Not everyone got a rifle. But many people bought more than a few brand new AR's and mothballed them. And they'll do it again if they can afford it.

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    But, as the article and the comments therein mention, how many will be the cheap pieces-of-near-junk and how many will be the better quality ones?

I don't know how this will impact my feelings towards an AR vs an AK...

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I don't think we have seen panic buying yet, midterm elections are not far away. Just think what will happen if republicans lose the house.

-Rogue-

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Glad to see prices starting to normalize.

Will it suck to be a manufacturer for a short while? Yes, but the yearly total revenues will be up.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

Really? Prices on AR's looked high last time I was in there. I chose not to buy and the only reason I'm saying anything is because I don't believe you didn't raise prices. Hey I've been wrong before so if I am sorry. Now before anyone gets their panties in a bunch because I'm calling out your favorite gun store, I've been a good bradis customer for over 20 years, so a lot of my hard earned money has went there to and even spent some in bradis 2 about 2 weeks ago. So I'm not anti-bradis.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    To me it's humorous. All the "Investors" are now left holding the bag. It's great to see someone buy high and get stuck selling low. It just makes my day.

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    I could have made a small fortune. Just before Sandy Hook I found RGuns had Delaware Machinery stripped lowers for $49 each + shipping.

I took full advantage of the opportunity. During the height of the panic I finished my latest rifle. I still did not pay outrageous prices, although I did have to search for about 7 months to find a 24" barrel in stock that someone didn't want a left testicle for.

At the peak of the panic I had 4 stripped lowers in my safe. The same Delaware lowers I had just paid $49 for were selling on Armslist and GunBroker for as much as $350 each!

Yes, I could have gouged somebody, but I decided I'd rather keep what I had.
    I think it's going to be a while before we find stripped lowers for $49 again.

Maybe not, but I did get in on the $25 80% lowers that were on rockethub.com. So there are still some deals out there, you just gotta look, and a little luck o' the Irish helps too.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Really? Prices on AR's looked high last time I was in there. I chose not to buy and the only reason I'm saying anything is because I don't believe you didn't raise prices. Hey I've been wrong before so if I am sorry. Now before anyone gets their panties in a bunch because I'm calling out your favorite gun store, I've been a good bradis customer for over 20 years, so a lot of my hard earned money has went there to and even spent some in bradis 2 about 2 weeks ago. So I'm not anti-bradis.
    \

I think they've talked about this before. They have a set "markup" on firearms and accessories. Though the total price may have increased, they are not making "extra" due to the panic. they pay more, we pay more, but they are still making the same % as they were to cover overhead and allow a little profit.

What is CRAZY is a LGS charging 30 bucks for a box of 50 115gr FMJ 9mm. This same store marked up their glock 17 mags when I bought one for 27 bucks out the door. They are a whopping 45 dollars per magazine now.

Let me clarify, ten minutes after I left, I decided I wanted one more. I drove back and they were marked up.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    \

I think they've talked about this before. They have a set "markup" on firearms and accessories. Though the total price may have increased, they are not making "extra" due to the panic. they pay more, we pay more, but they are still making the same % as they were to cover overhead and allow a little profit.

What is CRAZY is a LGS charging 30 bucks for a box of 50 115gr FMJ 9mm. This same store marked up their glock 17 mags when I bought one for 27 bucks out the door. They are a whopping 45 dollars per magazine now.

Let me clarify, ten minutes after I left, I decided I wanted one more. I drove back and they were marked up.
    Ok yep I can understand that. Thanks for the clarity.

PMPORTER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Shooter sold me mine right in the middle of the madness for like $700.00 and it does everything I need it too, others were selling the same rifle for over a Grand ! That's why I keep coming back :) Well done Bradis !!!

bosaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2013
    I am ready for the surplus... guns, ammo, and all else. I will be there to receive as they sell on the low end as I have already for several guns, ammo, and accessories.

Top Bottom