• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was at Hoosier Armory yesterday and someone was calling about a 9mm wheel gun and then I see this post. Now I want one too.

1. THAT WAS ME!
    2. I was sneaking a call from work to check what their prices on new ones were.
    3. I knew they didn't have any used ones b/c I check their website every day (like Classifieds here, Armslist and Marksman Shooting Sporting).
    4. If I remember correctly they don't sell any of the 9mm revolvers new.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    RANGE REPORT:
    After all my talk about not being able to go to the range this weekend: I got all my work done and went before closing Sat. (9pm).

Good new and expected predicted bad new:
    Shoots well, no issue with that.
    I put 20-25 rounds through it with PMC Bronze ammo: perfect.
    Then 1 shell out of 5 hung up.
    Then 2 out of 5 hung up.
    Then 3 out of 5 hung up.

It isn't easy to get a spent shell out b/c it will hang up on a "pin" that is in the "star" that is to keep it in, or help lift it to reject (not sure which one or both)
    To eject the spent shells, simply pushing the "plunger" to lift out the shells was too hard manually:
    I had to "bump/tap" the "plunger" on the edge of the table to move it to push out the shells.
    Doing this about 3 times was fine since they all came out, then that's when not all the shells started to not lift out.

So: not a carry gun unless you didn't intend to reload, which is about my profile, or have a back-up gun with you also.
    So it is going to be just a range toy, and b/c of the tedium of getting the shells out: not acceptable.

I did switch and use Federal Champion ammo next, to see if it was the ammo, and it ejected perfect: once (it probably had cooled down and maybe that's why?), but when I tried another cylinder full: one hung up.
    I was done with it at that point and went on to other guns that I needed my attention.

So, I could continue to use it as a range toy, as mentioned, but there are other things I will want to try that aren't as high maintenance.
    It also hurt my middle finger, with the trigger guard bumping it.

Anyone think I should send it in to Charter Arms and see it they can do something with it, or just sell it?
    I could try other ammo (I have a bunch of Perfecta) to see if it helps before I do either.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Anyone think I should send it in to Charter Arms and see it they can do something with it, or just sell it?
    I could try other ammo (I have a bunch of Perfecta) to see if it helps before I do either.

Charter Arms can't do anything with the fact that the trigger guard slams into your finger. As far as the cartridges getting stuck, they might be able to polish the cylinder holes to help with the problem. Being a Charter Arms, it's probably just a bad design to begin with. Semiauto rounds were not made for revolvers, but if I'm going to trust a firearms manufacturer to come up with a revolver that can handle them without moonclips, it sure isn't going to be Charter Arms. Stick with revolver cartridges in a revolver, IMO.

If it was mine, I'd send it back to Charter Arms for repair, then trade it in for something else as soon as I got it back. Or sell it with full disclosure on the problems.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Not familiar with the charter arms setup but S&W had problems with there version(940) and the new 929 with sticky extraction. I feel that part of that is because of the taper case 9MM cartridge. The 45ACP and .40/10MM guns and I shoot a couple of 38 super revolvers don't have that problem.

The 9MM guns are very pressure sensitive and it take the right load to get rid of the sticky extraction. The Titanium cylinder used in the S&W 929 and some .40/10MM and .45 guns also are sensitive to ammo selection but not near as bad as a 9mm. There are things that can be done to the gun to help this(every gun is different) but usually switching loads/ammo fix's it.

Try different brands of ammo and bullet weights, the heavier 147's seem to help in the other brand of guns.

Thousands of competition shooters shoot auto cartridges out of revolver every weekend with no issues.

ANY revolver will have sticky extraction with over pressure(HOT) loads from wrong powder/bullet combinations revolver cartridges or auto cartridges.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I talked with Chris at Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield where I bought the 9mm revolver, and he called and talked with Charter today.
    The tech he talked with indicated that when they went from a 6 shot down to a 5 shot, they didn't have any more difficulties.
    They will be glad to look at it and see if there is any thing wrong: I pay shipping.
    I looked online and the rules for shipping handguns are confusing and contradictory, so I will let Chris handle it.
    It will just cost me some drive time (and shipping).
    I plan to take it up after work, but I have to drive in the opposite direction to go home, and I moved 20 minutes further South than what I used to live from him: bummer.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got the 9mm revolver shipped off to Charter Arms: $25 (which I had to pay).
    Chris said the tech mentioned that is it not a simple fix they will simply replace the cylinder (good to hear).
    Since they said they don't get any of the 5 shot back like they did the larger 6 shot, I hope they shoot it enough for it to reveal itself:
    ejector rod never did work even shot once w/o "bumping/nudging" the end of the rod
    and it took 5 or 6 cylinders of shots before shells starting not ejecting (heat?), even when I switched ammo.
    If they don't put it through its paces and really make sure it will work, I will send it right back if it does it to me again, and make them pay shipping (big talk on my part :ugh: )

I guess with some manufacturers they pay shipping, others you do: lesson learned when buying used guns.
    I think Chris said it would be 7- 10 days before we would hear anything (better than months for Taurus, and never did get the gun back with Chris, the owner: another thread, ha!)

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I paid $200. for a 9mm cylinder for my Chiappa Rhino, to use in my 4 and 5 inch barrel.
    Just as great to shoot but a lot cheeper.

1. Glad you have had good fortune with it.
    2. I did research on Chiappa when I was interested in a certain gun (1911-22 or single-action 22 or something) and the reviews came back poorly, so I crossed it off my list of brands.
    3. I was at Hoosier Armory visiting yesterday (they moved from a garage to a shop in Noblesville) and I ran across an EEA Windicator SS 357 that was awesome looking and only about $340ish (not exact), and I still can't quit thinking about it: a real "chunk" of a handgun, but that brand doesn't register with me either, so I dismissed it.
    4. Both could be due to my ignorance, b/c when I read reviews on the EEA 357: they were favorable.
    5. I don't know where Charter Arms fits in the pecking order of these guns. In my mind it is:
    Charter Arms
    EEA
    Chiappa
    all based on my gross ignorance and total lack of experience with only the knowledge I have picked up in a few pages on text.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    EAA is the importer, some company in Germany makes the Windicator is memory serves.

Chiappa seems to have both good and bad. The low seems to have more quality issues, but it’s also inexpensive. I haven’t seen many people have issues with the Rhino line (aside from not liking the looks), but it’s much more expensive.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    EAA is the importer, some company in Germany makes the Windicator is memory serves.

Chiappa seems to have both good and bad. The low seems to have more quality issues, but it’s also inexpensive. I haven’t seen many people have issues with the Rhino line (aside from not liking the looks), but it’s much more expensive.

1. Correct about the origin of the Windicator.
    2. Apparently they have been making this gun for a very long time and it tried and true: a true basic budget functional gun that won't be as "sleek" as a S/W, all relative to price for the guys like my who search for decent $300 guns. (used to be $200 8 months ago: how I've grown! :laugh:
    3. In 10 yrs. I'll be buying $1000 guns like normal people. :rockwoot:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got word from Chris at Marksman Shooting that he called Charter Arms Monday, and they said they were sending the gun back this week.
    They put a new cylinder in it.
    Can't wait to fire 10 cylinders through it to test it out and pronounce it "healed." :popcorn: Waiting.
    Hope to pick it up by Saturday so I can add it to my "must shoot" list of my Ruger 1911 and 22 1911 that I bought Wednesday.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I haven't owned any newer model Charter Arms revolvers. I have owned three and still own one of their .38 SPL snubbies. The three have been very decent handguns for what they are (carry a lot and shoot a little). They aren't S&W's nor Colts, but are decent, especially considering the price point. Although CA has changed hands many times, I'm pretty sure that their customer service has always been good. Can't say that about Taurus. I'll bet that most folks who slam CA revolvers have never fired one or even closely looked one over. Let us know how you are treated by CA and whether or not they make it right.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I haven't owned any newer model Charter Arms revolvers. I have owned three and still own one of their .38 SPL snubbies. The three have been very decent handguns for what they are (carry a lot and shoot a little). They aren't S&W's nor Colts, but are decent, especially considering the price point. Although CA has changed hands many times, I'm pretty sure that their customer service has always been good. Can't say that about Taurus. I'll bet that most folks who slam CA revolvers have never fired one or even closely looked one over. Let us know how you are treated by CA and whether or not they make it right.

1. The fact that they didn't just clean it up and send it back but put a new cylinder in it encourages me :D

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    Its a twin of the one next to my door. I HAD two S&W 9mm wheelies but they were both LNIB so I didn't want to shoot them. Sold both and got a Charter. Is it S&W quality? No way BUT it will last a generation or two.

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel

Sadly it doesn't matter what firearm it is. If the 'gun snobs' don't have one, it's junk.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Got word from Chris at Marksman Shooting that he called Charter Arms Monday, and they said they were sending the gun back this week.
    They put a new cylinder in it.
    Can't wait to fire 10 cylinders through it to test it out and pronounce it "healed." :popcorn: Waiting.
    Hope to pick it up by Saturday so I can add it to my "must shoot" list of my Ruger 1911 and 22 1911 that I bought Wednesday.

That's great news. CA has always had a good customer service rep. Look forward to your next range report.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Chris at Marksman Shooting called to say the 9mm Charter Arms revolver was in, but I was already headed home from work to pick up the Ruger SR 1911 .45 to try out at the range.
    I could have picked up today but I had to try out the Ruger and a 1911-22LR that I bought the same day this week.
    I'll go pick it up Saturday and try to go to the range again but since I went today I could wait till Sunday

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I had a thread I started about my interest in getting a 9mm revolver.
    Bought one after work, and I even have pics this time. :rockwoot:

Charter Arms, SS, 5 shot bought from Chris at Marksman Shooting Sports in Westfield who has great prices on used guns ($280).
    I bought my first used gun there last May: Charter Arms 38 SS ($250), but sold it to get a new Smith 642 ($300 @ Cabelas b/c of a tip here at INGO).
    Looking back on it I could have just kept the Charter 38 since it would have been fine for my purposes, but I didn't know at the time that I was going to buy a "bevy" of handguns.

This last large pic was taken off the net for your viewing pleasure.

jvdaxxa.jpg
    ft3XHdy.jpg
    dG0PWYR.jpg
    LAHIVcI.jpg
    AgcmdY1.jpg
    CharterArms9mmPitBull_MuzzleLeft-750x535.jpg
    She's purdy.....Nice pistol!

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    Never had a Charter 9mm, but have a older 38 snub nose, it's a good shooter. When I had a gun store back in the 80's Charter's were good sellers. I used to own a S&W 547 9mm, shot hundreds of rounds through it, never had a problem with extraction that I recall. Like a fool I sold it, high dollar guns now.

Top Bottom