• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was sort of interested in the 9mm until I found this thread. See ya Saturday.

1. I totally get it. I wanted it for a dual purpose and it didn't deliver.
    2. Someone will want it for a CC and it won't matter that it doesn't want to cycle 100 rounds w/o some extra work (it's like a single action taking out each shell with a pencil :ugh: ).
    3. I like the gun: great 3 finger grip on it, unlike most J frames, and I shoot it more accurate than my "prized" Smith 642 hammerless (which I hate for the range). I wish I had the hammer model, but for CC and 3-3-3, it has its utility.

4. So glad you reaffirmed our Sat. 8 am: now I don't have to shoot you off an email/text confirming you are still on the planet. :laugh:
    Your box of "tools" is right beside my chair ready to go.
    The other day when I had to deliver my two Berettas and I had to pause and make sure I grabbed the right package of "tools" (my code word at school).
    The other guy who bought them would have had quite the surprise seeing your tool in the sack.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was talking about the gun shop, not you. Lots of gun shop owners will not warn you off of something that they sell. A gun shop that does any volume would be expected to know about Charter Arms in general.

1. :rofl:Well, don't I feel like a dummy! :ugh:
    2. I took it to mean me since I have been accused of telling all the faults on a car I was selling before: I truly am honest to a fault, but I don't want to burn someone like I have been in my life.
    3. I try to weed people out on the phone when selling a car. My experience is the person that takes an hour quizzing you and test drives it for 20 minutes: doesn't buy, but the one who comes and in 10 minutes they drive off b/c they see your "profile" and know that this car has been maintained better than anything they have ever had and that I'm telling the absolute truth: it doesn't hurt that I have 2 inches of receipts of maintenance and repair in a folder. :laugh:
    4. Your point about what a gun shop owner and what they know about their product I totally agree, and I will be more on my guard next time something catches my eye.
    5. I now have 2 manufacturers on my "Warning" list: Taurus semi-autos and Charter Arms. At this point in life I can spend the extra $100-$200 for a better gun, I just am not to the point of spending $500 more. I have shot better, and enjoyed them, like the Dan Wesson 1911 or the Kimber 1911 that gmcttr let me shoot of his, but I enjoyed my $600 Ruger SR 1911 also. I truly am just not at the point where I can appreciate the nuances of the "better" guns for twice the money: maybe I'll get there, but with carpet, counter tops and bathrooms to remodel, I doubt it.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    1. Every nuance? Every gun? Never! And Chris will tell you upfront he knows very little about 22LRs except for the Ruger 22LR that he had.
    2. It seems like everyone knows about the shortcomings of a 9mm in a revolver, though, so I would expect someone to have heard about that running a shop, but since his shop doesn't do repairs, perhaps not, and I expect too much.

Not necessarily. I've worked in gun shops for about 4 years. Granted I've been away for a couple years. But charter arms having issues is something I have never heard about.

Believe it or not

A lot of people load there gun and put it away. Never fired or fired very little.

I bet theres several INGO members who carries guns thats never been fired.

The best way to test a gun. Shoot it. A lot. Even better. Train with it. Every gun will break eventually if you run it hard enough. Training will show your weaknesses and find faults in any gun.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Not necessarily. I've worked in gun shops for about 4 years. Granted I've been away for a couple years. But charter arms having issues is something I have never heard about.

Believe it or not

A lot of people load there gun and put it away. Never fired or fired very little.

I bet theres several INGO members who carries guns thats never been fired.

The best way to test a gun. Shoot it. A lot. Even better. Train with it. Every gun will break eventually if you run it hard enough. Training will show your weaknesses and find faults in any gun.
    I agree, more guns are sold and never shot than are shot to failure. That being said, it seems pretty common for internet stars to shoot a thousand rounds through a sub-compact pistol or revolver. Looks like the OP got a lemon, it also could have something to do with the significant increase in 9mm chamber pressures vs. .38 SPL. I wonder if the sticking problem could be solved by the use of nickel plated cases. Problems can happen with any new gun, even the expensive ones. I've owned three Charter Arms .38 SPL 2" revolvers. Admittedly they have all be older versions. I never had any problems with any of them, but I didn't shoot more than a few hundred rounds through each of them. Of the less expensive revolvers, I think that Charter Arms is still a very good choice. I still have one as a truck gun. I also own a few S&W j frames.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I agree, more guns are sold and never shot than are shot to failure. That being said, it seems pretty common for internet stars to shoot a thousand rounds through a sub-compact pistol or revolver. Looks like the OP got a lemon, it also could have something to do with the significant increase in 9mm chamber pressures vs. .38 SPL. I wonder if the sticking problem could be solved by the use of nickel plated cases. Problems can happen with any new gun, even the expensive ones. I've owned three Charter Arms .38 SPL 2" revolvers. Admittedly they have all be older versions. I never had any problems with any of them, but I didn't shoot more than a few hundred rounds through each of them. Of the less expensive revolvers, I think that Charter Arms is still a very good choice. I still have one as a truck gun. I also own a few S&W j frames.

I kind of assumed it was due to the auto cartridges being designed to headspace on the mouth of the brass while rimmed cases being designed to headspace on the rim, and the nature of a revolver having to deal with that for rounds such as the 9mm.

Basically figured it was somewhat the nature of the beast on these, especially on the lower end ones. That said, I've never owned one, or felt the need to.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I kind of assumed it was due to the auto cartridges being designed to headspace on the mouth of the brass while rimmed cases being designed to headspace on the rim, and the nature of a revolver having to deal with that for rounds such as the 9mm.

Basically figured it was somewhat the nature of the beast on these, especially on the lower end ones. That said, I've never owned one, or felt the need to.

1. If I was smarter, more experienced: neither would I. :ugh:
    2. I have received 2 offers, one low-ball, the other reasonable, but I'm never in a hurry when I sell; I can always sell for lower.
    3. I've actually been looking at S/W revolvers with a hammer just for fun, even offered a trade of the Pitbull for one this pm.

fnpfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Jul 4, 2010
    Larwill
    Very nice, I think I seen a Taurus 9mm revolver once, I have not seen another 9mm revolver since, but I would love to find one!

Top Bottom