• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm curious and may have missed it in the range report. What brand/specifics of ammo are you using?

1. Perfecta, PMC and Winchester Target: 115 grains, all FMJ.
    2. I specifically grabbed 3 different brands of ammo so I would know it wasn't a brand of ammo issue.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    1. Perfecta, PMC and Winchester Target: 115 grains, all FMJ.
    2. I specifically grabbed 3 different brands of ammo so I would know it wasn't a brand of ammo issue.
    To put things in perspective a little. I bought a used S&W model 17 (.22LR) revolver. The empties used to stick in the chambers with a vast array of standard velocity ammo. I finally decided to polish the chambers with crocus cloth. I got a wooden dowel, chucked it in a hand drill. I put a slit in the end of the dowel and put in a strip of the crocus cloth. The polishing job worked just fine. Even the highly touted "top tier" brands have their problems. I did find out that it was a common problem with that model.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    To put things in perspective a little. I bought a used S&W model 17 (.22LR) revolver. The empties used to stick in the chambers with a vast array of standard velocity ammo. I finally decided to polish the chambers with crocus cloth. I got a wooden dowel, chucked it in a hand drill. I put a slit in the end of the dowel and put in a strip of the crocus cloth. The polishing job worked just fine. Even the highly touted "top tier" brands have their problems. I did find out that it was a common problem with that model.

1. Now that's good info for a newbie like me.
    2. If I was going to keep it an an alternative CC to my Smith snubbie I would, but I have bought too many guns recently and can't indulge in having too many optional CC unless they are different sizes. :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    1. Only I would reply to my own thread: where do you find people like this? :laugh:

Chris at Marksman messaged me at work and he talked to a tech:
    they want the gun back, and Chris told them to run at least 60 rounds through it.
    It started getting harder to push the extractor rod in around 60 rounds but it was at 90ish rounds that it bacame impossible and I had to revert back to the "tapping" method which wouldn't eject the shells well then, but I gave up at that point.
    If the gun worked like it did at the range Sunday, it would be fine for CC since it fired 10 cylinders w/o incident and you'd only need 1 or 2 cylinders in an emergency, but since they are willing to pay shipping both ways this time (I had to pay to get it there the last time), I wanted them to try to make it right again.
    Chris indicated that continued firing of rounds through it would probably heat up the cylinder making the shells harder to extract, and maybe that is why it become too difficult to push the extractor rod after 60 rounds and impossible after 90ish rounds.
    To me, that is not a good design if that is something you have to live with.
    Oh well, I'll be able to sell it to someone who isn't going to put 100 rounds through it at the range, just test it out with a few cylinder fulls and be done with it, but I want the extractor rod to be consistently smooth pushing it in.

2. I just got the 9mm back from Charter again, and they have put in a new cylinder, extractor rod and extractor, and fired it for 10 cylinders (50 rounds) so they did right my the repair. It did cost me shipping one-way the first time.
    3. And ,to me it still isn't "perfect" (not as buttery-smooth consistently as I think it should be even before firing and getting hot), but getting a box of shells through it is an acceptable compromise since the new parts were put in and obviously that is a limitation of this "tool."
    4. What is it that I read: "Often bought, seldom shot?"
    Seems to fit here, but I'm OK with it and b/c it isn't going to be like my Glock or Smith that I'll want to put "excessive" rounds through at a range session.
    5. I now have 3 "J" frame revolvers now (all SS), of which I don't need and will trim to one, but not sure which way to go.
    6. S/W 642 hammerless (which is not as accurate as the other two), which I bought new from Cabelas last summer for less than I've seen used pricing, Taurus 85 (really like it and with hammer, but for CC, the hammer is not the deciding issue), and the Charter Arms 9mm, which I like using the 9mm ammo, of which I have plenty of, would be fine for the intended limited purpose of CC and only occasional use at the range.
    7. I don't want to be prejudiced against the 9mm, but for a CC revolver, I'm thinking that I should stay with a .38 special for all the obvious reasons.
    8. I had a Charter Arms .38 SS early on and I sold it just to get the Smith name/reputation, so I guess I should stick with it (Smith) for all the same reasons.
    9. The profile of the Charter Arms is bigger with a bigger handle (which I like for shooting), so for CC it would be last on the list for that reason.
    The Smith has a Delta grip on it which allows a good grip and no pain (on knuckle) when firing, even though it is less accurate than the other two, but for self-defense I mostly practice at 21 feet, with a little of 30 feet, an occasional 45 feet just to remind myself never to think I could use it at that distance (eyesight), and, of course: point and shoot at 15 feet.

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    1. Only I would reply to my own thread: where do you find people like this? :laugh:

2. I just got the 9mm back from Charter again, and they have put in a new cylinder, extractor rod and extractor, and fired it for 10 cylinders (50 rounds) so they did right my the repair. It did cost me shipping one-way the first time.
    3. And ,to me it still isn't "perfect" (not as buttery-smooth consistently as I think it should be even before firing and getting hot), but getting a box of shells through it is an acceptable compromise since the new parts were put in and obviously that is a limitation of this "tool."
    4. What is it that I read: "Often bought, seldom shot?"
    Seems to fit here, but I'm OK with it and b/c it isn't going to be like my Glock or Smith that I'll want to put "excessive" rounds through at a range session.
    5. I now have 3 "J" frame revolvers now (all SS), of which I don't need and will trim to one, but not sure which way to go.
    6. S/W 642 hammerless (which is not as accurate as the other two), which I bought new from Cabelas last summer for less than I've seen used pricing, Taurus 85 (really like it and with hammer, but for CC, the hammer is not the deciding issue), and the Charter Arms 9mm, which I like using the 9mm ammo, of which I have plenty of, would be fine for the intended limited purpose of CC and only occasional use at the range.
    7. I don't want to be prejudiced against the 9mm, but for a CC revolver, I'm thinking that I should stay with a .38 special for all the obvious reasons.
    8. I had a Charter Arms .38 SS early on and I sold it just to get the Smith name/reputation, so I guess I should stick with it (Smith) for all the same reasons.
    9. The profile of the Charter Arms is bigger with a bigger handle (which I like for shooting), so for CC it would be last on the list for that reason.
    The Smith has a Delta grip on it which allows a good grip and no pain (on knuckle) when firing, even though it is less accurate than the other two, but for self-defense I mostly practice at 21 feet, with a little of 30 feet, an occasional 45 feet just to remind myself never to think I could use it at that distance (eyesight), and, of course: point and shoot at 15 feet.
    I think you have hit on an interesting point. For folks who have no other calibers than 9mm and/or only reload for 9mm, the 9mm revolver makes sense. For example, I know a cop who has the S&W 9mm revolver because he gets 9mm ammo issued. Other than that, for someone wanting a snubbie revolver, the .38 SPL caliber is a good choice. On the other topic, you brought up (old eyes) adding a laser to your carry gun, especially a green one, is very useful for us oldsters, especially in other than bright daylight. I have them on all of my defensive firearms.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I think you have hit on an interesting point. For folks who have no other calibers than 9mm and/or only reload for 9mm, the 9mm revolver makes sense. For example, I know a cop who has the S&W 9mm revolver because he gets 9mm ammo issued. Other than that, for someone wanting a snubbie revolver, the .38 SPL caliber is a good choice. On the other topic, you brought up (old eyes) adding a laser to your carry gun, especially a green one, is very useful for us oldsters, especially in other than bright daylight. I have them on all of my defensive firearms.

1. Wow! What a suggestion! As I make decisions on what is long-term keep, I don't mind ponying up and doing something like that.
    2. Especially for my J frame CC, even though I want a hammer, I don't need it for range fun and so I will probably not get anything else (if I behave myself :laugh: ), and for a basic tool such as a CC revolver, I can limit myself.
    3. It would be harder to do that for a semi-automatic CC b/c I'm still evolving in that regard and my wants/needs have changed from a Taraus 709 Slim/Ruger LC9 to a Glock 26 in 10 months with Walthers, Sigs and other Shields in the mix
    4. I know nothing about them, and think they are $100+/- and I suspect under $200 for the Smith hammerless 642, and I won't go there at that expense for a gun which will be used at 15+/- feet, and hopefully, never, of course.

5. I just did a quick search and they all involved replacing the grip: not my 1st or 2nd choice.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    1. Wow! What a suggestion! As I make decisions on what is long-term keep, I don't mind ponying up and doing something like that.
    2. Especially for my J frame CC, even though I want a hammer, I don't need it for range fun and so I will probably not get anything else (if I behave myself :laugh: ), and for a basic tool such as a CC revolver, I can limit myself.
    3. It would be harder to do that for a semi-automatic CC b/c I'm still evolving in that regard and my wants/needs have changed from a Taraus 709 Slim/Ruger LC9 to a Glock 26 in 10 months with Walthers, Sigs and other Shields in the mix
    4. I know nothing about them, and think they are $100+/- and I suspect under $200 for the Smith hammerless 642, and I won't go there at that expense for a gun which will be used at 15+/- feet, and hopefully, never, of course.

5. I just did a quick search and they all involved replacing the grip: not my 1st or 2nd choice.
    Actually, I like the grip offerings from Crimson Trace for J frame S&W revolvers. I find them comfortable to shoot. Of course, everyone is a little different. I'm not in to BBQ guns and accessories, although I appreciate looking at them.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Yes, I can't wait to see how the "kick" is compared to the .38.

OP: Congrats on the new toy! Hope you enjoy it for a long time! A friend has an older Ruger SP101 in 9mm...it's a hoot-to-shoot!

Q: I'd be curious...does this handle +P ammo...or even +P+ ammo?

This is an interesting table (Handgun Recoil Table) which tells us what one would expect to see - slightly more recoil than 38 ALL other factors being equal. 9mm has more velocity than 38 in standard loads and thus more recoil. In my limited experience and shaky memory with 9mm revolvers the difference isn't much. It'll be fun and 9mm is cheap right now. Blast away!

Yes, 9mm does tend to have a little more 'pop' to it when shooting...but is that more related to the 9mm being a high-velocity round or because the .38 is considered a 'sub-sonic' round?

Still, though, it's my understanding (24 years as a volunteer EMT and having read several autopsy reports) that the 158 grain .38 special round will still achieve better penetration than a 9mm, even if it's +P...any thoughts?

But I'm also a revolver fan...and am not only comfortable but prefer carrying one...so possibly I carry some bias with me???

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    OP: Congrats on the new toy! Hope you enjoy it for a long time! A friend has an older Ruger SP101 in 9mm...it's a hoot-to-shoot!

Q: I'd be curious...does this handle +P ammo...or even +P+ ammo?

1. From googling:
    Pitbull owners are still going to think about shooting +P ammunition. The short answer to the burning safety question is yes, +P loads can be safely fired in the Pitbull. However, Charter Arms recommends, for the best accuracy results and reduced wear and tear to the gun, that Pitbull owners stick with standard pressure 9 mm loads for both practice and self-defense.

Yes, 9mm does tend to have a little more 'pop' to it when shooting...but is that more related to the 9mm being a high-velocity round or because the .38 is considered a 'sub-sonic' round?

Still, though, it's my understanding (24 years as a volunteer EMT and having read several autopsy reports) that the 158 grain .38 special round will still achieve better penetration than a 9mm, even if it's +P...any thoughts?

2. That is consistent with everything I've read: good basic .38 special has been around for a long time for a good reason.
    3. And, if you want an attitude: the .357 is a beast.

But I'm also a revolver fan...and am not only comfortable but prefer carrying one...so possibly I carry some bias with me???

4. Don't say that too loud: I believe we are in the minority, but I feel the same way!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    4. Don't say that too loud: I believe we are in the minority, but I feel the same way!

Snicker...

I've said for many years..."All one really needs is a good .38!" One can get dirty with all the details / conversations / controversies / etc., but in the end, all one really needs is a good .38!

Since 2013, my favorite EDC has been a Glock 36 in .45 acp...only because I've come to really appreciate and love the .45 acp round (and the .45 Colt round for camping / hiking.) For nearly 10 years, I CC'd an SP101 in .357 magnum (yup, a 'beast' in terms of capability) but I often stoked it with .38 +P rounds and CC'd it that-a-way! I still have it...still love it...but I shoot the G-36 just a mite bit better and I like the double-mag back-up capabilities. Don't for a second, though, underestimate the older, nickel, Taurus 85 snubbie I throw in the coat/vest pocket occasionally as a 'basic' for a quick run out!

For about 7 years, I CC'd a Glock 33 in .357SIG, which was a blast (literally) to shoot. I don't carry 9mm...and .40's okay...but why carry it when .45 is available?

All one really needs is a good .38...and slow is smooth...and smooth is fast!

Enjoy the new Pitbull!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This quote online from a guy who loves his Charter Arms 9mm Pitbull 5 shot, stainless steel revolver:

"The extractor has given me some issues, especially after 3-4 cylinder loads. It gets really hard to punch the casing out and the extractor star will slip over a couple, then, I have to punch them out with a dowel."

The above does sum it up.
    Charter should just admit it and quit wasting my time and expense.

After getting the gun back for the 2nd time it simply does the same thing.
    Apparently it is never going to be like the $1100 Smith 9mm revolver, is it?

I am fine with the function of it as a limited CC since research shows most gun episodes are 3 - 3 - 3 (3 seconds, 3 shots and 3 yards).
    This was based on a large police department's research (not the traditional FBI 7 yards example).
    Just a little variation but point/concept made.

When I tested the Charter 9mm revolver out again it simply did what it always does,
    getting harder to extract the spent shells,
    and by the 4th or 5th cylinders,
    it becomes very difficult to push the extractor rod.
    It actually got better the 5th, 6th and better yet on the 7th cylinder? (I guess that is some improvement)
    I didn't bother to keep going, b/c it is never going to be a range gun,
    and I was going to either keep it as a limited CC or not,
    but since I would think the .38 special round is superior: why keep it?

Since I bought it for not just a CC (have Taurus 85 and Smith 642 also), but to double up as a CC and some fun at the range and it doesn't measure up to the range use:
    I will sell it since I am trimming and don't need 3 small J frame revolvers.
    I'll just do a disclaimer about them: they are what they are: a novelty with limited use, but OK for that use.
    What do they say about Charter Arms: "lots bought, little shot?" Classic.

By the way, my range results:
    In double-action mode at 20' = 1 in 1"; 2 in 2" (includes the 1"); 4 in 3"; 5 in 4"
    In single-action mode at 20' = 0 in 1"; 3 in 2" (includes the 1"); 4 in 3"; 5 in 4"
    I didn't even record the other results, since I was more interested in running rounds through it to see it by some miracle it was "fixed."
    My suspicions from reading about it on the web were verified.
    So, for a dedicated CC, I'll just stick with the 38.

More accurate than my hammerless Smith 642 if memory serves,
    and interesting that no real improvement in single-action mode,
    which I'm sure speaks more about me than the guns.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I find it shocking that no one on this forum advised you of that fact..

1. And, I found it shocking that Chris, at Marksman Shooting in Westfield didn't give me a heads up.
    2. But, he is in the business of selling guns and it's "buyer beware."
    3. I "ASSumed" that since it was:
    a revolver,
    a 9mm round,
    a respectable company (2nd tier, I thought, but maybe 3rd tier),
    lifetime warranty,
    what could go wrong?
    Lesson learned.
    I will put an ad in tonight.

If I needed a J frame for CC, I would have no problem keeping it, but no need.
    Impulse buy, just having fun. I knew I could sell it.
    Prices on them are running $400+/-

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. And, I found it shocking that Chris, at Marksman Shooting in Westfield didn't give me a heads up.
    2. But, he is in the business of selling guns and it's "buyer beware."
    3. I "ASSumed" that since it was:
    a revolver,
    a 9mm round,
    a respectable company (2nd tier, I thought, but maybe 3rd tier),
    lifetime warranty,
    what could go wrong?
    Lesson learned.
    I will put an ad in tonight.

If I needed a J frame for CC, I would have no problem keeping it, but no need.
    Impulse buy, just having fun. I knew I could sell it.
    Prices on them are running $400+/-

Not sure if you missed the purple, but I think mcapo was poking fun :stickpoke:at this statement: "Apparently it is never going to be like the $1100 Smith 9mm revolver, is it?." Which I think has been discussed at length.

In any case, I don't think you can expect the guy behind the counter to know every nuance of every gun.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Not sure if you missed the purple, but I think mcapo was poking fun :stickpoke:at this statement: "Apparently it is never going to be like the $1100 Smith 9mm revolver, is it?." Which I think has been discussed at length.

In any case, I don't think you can expect the guy behind the counter to know every nuance of every gun.

1. Every nuance? Every gun? Never! And Chris will tell you upfront he knows very little about 22LRs except for the Ruger 22LR that he had.
    2. It seems like everyone knows about the shortcomings of a 9mm in a revolver, though, so I would expect someone to have heard about that running a shop, but since his shop doesn't do repairs, perhaps not, and I expect too much.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    1. Every nuance? Every gun? Never! And Chris will tell you upfront he knows very little about 22LRs except for the Ruger 22LR that he had.
    2. It seems like everyone knows about the shortcomings of a 9mm in a revolver, though, so I would expect someone to have heard about that running a shop, but since his shop doesn't do repairs, perhaps not, and I expect too much.

Badmouthing the products that you sell is not a very good business model.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Badmouthing the products that you sell is not a very good business model.

1. Reality check: full disclosure, but your are right: I'm not a salesman.
    2. I have no problem keeping the gun, if it doesn't sell b/c I don't know when to shut up.
    3. I couldn't sell the gun w/o admitting to what is on every critique online about 9mm revolvers.
    4. To me, a shortcoming is just that. There are weaknesses in many guns.
    5. When I sold my NAA .22 magnum, I admitted I couldn't hit squat with it, but that isn't a problem for some.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    1. Reality check: full disclosure, but your are right: I'm not a salesman.
    2. I have no problem keeping the gun, if it doesn't sell b/c I don't know when to shut up.
    3. I couldn't sell the gun w/o admitting to what is on every critique online about 9mm revolvers.
    4. To me, a shortcoming is just that. There are weaknesses in many guns.
    5. When I sold my NAA .22 magnum, I admitted I couldn't hit squat with it, but that isn't a problem for some.

I was talking about the gun shop, not you. Lots of gun shop owners will not warn you off of something that they sell. A gun shop that does any volume would be expected to know about Charter Arms in general.

Top Bottom