• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That escalated quickly lol. You should come shoot Monday night steel at hhrp sometime. I think you'll fall in love, especially with the shadow 2.

1. Hey, my friend! :thumbsup:
    2. Yes, it did: too much reading on the CZ. I'm impressionable, and doing some range time with better "tools" opened me up to "escalation!" :laugh:
    3. I would like to come and watch to see what it is about. Where? Time? Cost? Too bad school is starting up, life will get busy now.

Why did you list a tacsport at the end of the last post? Moving up already? Lol congrats on the new pistola.

3. It was just an example of where to go instead of being tempted to upgrade: take your $400-$600 and get a better "basic" model with built in upgrades, than put it in a gun that will price it out of recovery if you want to sell.
    4. I am fully aware of my vacillating like a little kid in a candy store b/c I like everything and don't have benefit of experience of what to chase after and what to run from.
    5. It took 15 months to find out about CZ, and it is over my "budget" and I'm "maxed" out but not so much that I have to be tempted to sell after enjoying the CZ like I have with other good guns.
    6. My 1911 experience was a teacher. I had a $600 nice Ruger Gov't. Stainless modol (expensive for me), but it didn't bring me anymore joy than other guns.
    7. Why are things different just a very few months later?
    8. The answer is I've changed. Corrupted by others who are diseased with a sickness of prejudicial gun brand opinions. :rofl:
    9. Yes, I'm trying to deflect my own responsibility in this since I am just as surprised as everyone else, especially those who know me best: this is outrageous behavior. :wallbash: I need help to protect me from the "cajunizers." They will not rest unless a drink the entire cup of Kool-aid. :lmfao: They have no issue with helping me spend my money. :laugh:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Just some thoughts;

You seem to judge guns by their "accuracy". I guarantee you that every gun you shoot is more accurate than you are. Why do I say that when I don't know you? Because EVERY handgun from a quality maker is more accurate than ANY shooter. Shooting handguns accurately is hard. Only through training and practice does it get any easier.
    You also seem to be flailing around like a kid trying to hit the piñata when the birthday party isn't until next week. I suggest you invest your time and money on training and practice. Exchanging guns for something "better" is fine, it's your money. But it won't get you any closer to being a better shooter. Buying a Tactical Sport won't make you better than having a Shadow 2. It isn't the gun. Laying a foundation of good fundamentals drilled in through extensive practice will serve you much better than exchanging guns every few days. Just my :twocents:.

IMO you should pause yourself. Tell yourself that, regardless of what deal appears, you aren't going to buy a new gun or trade for anything for X number of months. Whatever number suits you. Then dedicate yourself to fundamentals and practice. Then see how much improvement you see. Until you can actually feel the differences in triggers buying something different won't really have much effect.
    I really hope this doesn't come off as condescending as I really am just trying to help you out. Take it for what it's worth.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Just some thoughts;

You seem to judge guns by their "accuracy". I guarantee you that every gun you shoot is more accurate than you are. Why do I say that when I don't know you? Because EVERY handgun from a quality maker is more accurate than ANY shooter. Shooting handguns accurately is hard. Only through training and practice does it get any easier.
    You also seem to be flailing around like a kid trying to hit the piñata when the birthday party isn't until next week. I suggest you invest your time and money on training and practice. Exchanging guns for something "better" is fine, it's your money. But it won't get you any closer to being a better shooter. Buying a Tactical Sport won't make you better than having a Shadow 2. It isn't the gun. Laying a foundation of good fundamentals drilled in through extensive practice will serve you much better than exchanging guns every few days. Just my :twocents:.

IMO you should pause yourself. Tell yourself that, regardless of what deal appears, you aren't going to buy a new gun or trade for anything for X number of months. Whatever number suits you. Then dedicate yourself to fundamentals and practice. Then see how much improvement you see. Until you can actually feel the differences in triggers buying something different won't really have much effect.
    I really hope this doesn't come off as condescending as I really am just trying to help you out. Take it for what it's worth.

This is very solid advice. :+1:

G192127

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 19, 2018
    Shelbyville
    Congratulations on your purchase! I was just wondering what you were gonna do with it.
    Whether you were gonna carry it or home defense it or whatever.
    ENJOY it and shoot the heck out of it!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Congratulations on your purchase! I was just wondering what you were gonna do with it.
    Whether you were gonna carry it or home defense it or whatever.
    ENJOY it and shoot the heck out of it!

1. I intend to, thanks!
    2. Since I don’t get too emotionally attached to any one gun, it is just a tool to me, so I am surprised at how much enjoyment I’m getting for having purchased this Shadow 2.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That escalated quickly lol. You should come shoot Monday night steel at hhrp sometime. I think you'll fall in love, especially with the shadow 2.

Why did you list a tacsport at the end of the last post? Moving up already? Lol congrats on the new pistola.

I really should come out and give it a try. What time does it start?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just some thoughts;

You seem to judge guns by their "accuracy". I guarantee you that every gun you shoot is more accurate than you are.

1. I do judge a gun by how accurate it is: guilty.
    2. Believe me, I know the gun is more accurate than I am.
    I have always known this and I am reminded of it when I can’t see the target hardly at the end of my gun barrel.

Why do I say that when I don't know you? Because EVERY handgun from a quality maker is more accurate than ANY shooter. Shooting handguns accurately is hard. Only through training and practice does it get any easier.
    You also seem to be flailing around like a kid trying to hit the piñata when the birthday party isn't until next week.

3. Correct. The analogy I used was a “kid in a candy store.“

I suggest you invest your time and money on training and practice.

4. I have.
    5. I have shot hundreds and hundreds of rounds the summer:
    a few thousand.
    6. By the end of this day, I will have taken three classes, each about four or five hours long.
    7. I have a class coming up this fall that lasts all day, I just hope I have the stamina to get through the day.

Exchanging guns for something "better" is fine, it's your money. But it won't get you any closer to being a better shooter.

8. I have not found this to be the case.
    That is why I moved up the ladder with different, more accurate guns, especially focusing on the joy of everything CZ!
    9. The Glock 26 was more accurate than most or all, if not all of the 9mms I have tried up to that point.
    10. The FNS Longslide was also more accurate then most:
    enough to keep me hanging on to a large polymer gun when I really wanted a heavy metal one.
    11. Each CZ I bought was more accurate than the previous one.
    That is why I kept buying a different model.
    12. Some guns I owned we’re not accurate at all and I hated them And they were dismissed forthwith.

Buying a Tactical Sport won't make you better than having a Shadow 2. It isn't the gun.

11. The tactical support was simply an illustration.

Laying a foundation of good fundamentals drilled in through extensive practice will serve you much better than exchanging guns every few days. Just my :twocents:.

12. I agree about the good fundamentals.
    This is why I have pursued training.
    This is why getting together with other men from the club has been quite profitable to me since they can tutor me and I can profit from their experience.
    13. I will stop exchanging guns every day.
    14. I sold a gun just this morning. I am selling a gun tomorrow. I am putting another an ad in the paper to sell this weekend:
    CZ SP-01 Tactical and I have my FNS Longslide I can sell now that I have the Shadow, which will be listed also.
    15. I started the summer wanting to trim and did so alot in the Spring.
    16. If I would’ve stayed out of this CZ thread, apparently you would’ve been happier with my journey because I would’ve bought three less guns:
    each which brought me happiness, and for an old man who leads a boring life, it has been downright exciting!

17. I am on pause with buying.
    18. Buying something different has added to my accuracy, as evidenced by my range targets.
    19. Now that I have the Shadow,
    with a good trigger,
    I think your point is well made.
    20. I don’t mind the criticism: it is the quickest route to improvement. I’ve always made it my job to learn not just from my friends but those who are negative,
    and I have some critical friends: so I’ve learned a lot in my life, Ha!

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I predict doddg will be keeping the Shadow 2 for the long term and that no Cajun upgrades will be needed or desired.

I also predict he will be wanting to get back out to the outdoor range with me and attack the plate rack and dueling tree again. :ar15:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Doddg needs to stop saying that he has no friends.
    It seems to me that he has people who are spending time with him, and are looking forward to spending more time with him !:stickpoke:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    17. I am on pause with buying.
    18. Buying something different has added to my accuracy, as evidenced by my range targets.
    19. Now that I have the Shadow,
    with a good trigger,
    I think your point is well made.
    20. I don’t mind the criticism: it is the quickest route to improvement. I’ve always made it my job to learn not just from my friends but those who are negative,
    and I have some critical friends: so I’ve learned a lot in my life, Ha!

I wasn't trying to be negative. Just offering some opinions that, obviously, weren't welcome. I don't think any of the guns you listed were more mechanically accurate than the others. They may have seemed easier to be accurate with but if bench-rested I'm sure they would all come out about the same. :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I predict doddg will be keeping the Shadow 2 for the long term and that no Cajun upgrades will be needed or desired.
    I also predict he will be wanting to get back out to the outdoor range with me and attack the plate rack and dueling tree again. :ar15:

1. You know me well, my friend! You are exactly correct on all counts. I am done. Mostly, ha!
    2. There is an interest in:
    A. Sig 365 to replace my Glock 42 so I could get out of .380
    B. CZ Rami curiousity
    C. Beretta M9-22LR
    3. But, no rush.

4. The dueling tree was audacious!
    5. I go back to work in exactly 1 week: my time is running out.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I wasn't trying to be negative. Just offering some opinions that, obviously, weren't welcome. I don't think any of the guns you listed were more mechanically accurate than the others. They may have seemed easier to be accurate with but if bench-rested I'm sure they would all come out about the same. :dunno:

1. Strange that you say your opinions weren't welcome.
    2. Yes they were negative, but that is OK, like I said.
    3. It is ironic that my honest feedback hit a nerve b/c I did learn from what you said and took no offense.
    4. I live in a real world where I am questioned as to my professional veracity about once a month (teacher evaluations), getting criticized on how to do my teaching job better, by Principals half my age that if they were locked in a room with the students would be eaten alive, ha!
    5. So, realize that your comments were taken in the vein in how you intended: instructive.

6. My comments on accuracy are only based on my experience, not technical data.
    7. I see the truth in what you are saying b/c sometimes the 75 B Omega was more accurate than my Shadow: so your point is made, and I agree with your "bench-rested" example.
    8. If you met me in person you wouldn't be too quick to think the worst of my reactions or how I word things.
    I just am brutally honest and especially if someone is willing to speak up about the way I do things, b/c I will give them feedback as they gave me: it's what friends do, and believe me, I have some tough friends.
    9. I can only say it but it is up to you to accept it: I appreciate any comments that will facilitate my growth in this context of guns or to make my marriage better, or financial goals, or the fact that I talk too much, ha!

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Congrats, that is a sweet handgun.
    As you're already aware, it seems like you go through handguns like junkies go through needles :) I can only say that because you're now making purchases that make me a bit jealous!

Congrats again, keep us posted on how you like it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Doddg needs to stop saying that he has no friends.
    It seems to me that he has people who are spending time with him, and are looking forward to spending more time with him !:stickpoke:

1. :laugh: That is just a standard dry humorous line I use that is oxymoronish to those that know me, since b/c of my outgoing nature, I rarely meet someone who isn't a friend, but on an online forum it is even more hilarious to me, b/c when they read some of my posts it wouldn't take them long to realize I have tons of friends.
    2. On a side note, when I used that line at my son's wife's 1st Thanksgiving, one of her brothers (who is an attorney and smart) said: "I doubt that." He knew in an instant that it was just part of my self-deprecating dry humor.
    3. It is kind of like my constantly making reference to being poor, it is funny to me since I bought very modestly (cheap) guns when I began and some would make fun of me (not knowing me), that if a person read with a discerning mind they would see references that would make that inconsistent with my lifestyle (my car, the $80,000 Jaguar ha! I'm kidding!). Or, at the rate that I buy guns, it would seem inconsistent with my alleged poverty, even when I reference running out of money b/c I have self-imposed limits. Then there is my wife would kill me and is about to have an intervention already, I'm sure (my selling a few guns lately helps, but she says I just keep buying more: shhhh!).
    4. But, if my humorous references of being friendless is not warranted, in this 1 case I will cease and desist about the "no friends." I'll really really try, but it is one of my standard lines. :rofl:
    5. And yes, I have had quite the fun time getting with some guys lately to shoot: it has made surgery-recovery more enjoyable, and I have appreciated it and the positive feedback I get.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    As my buddy, mcapo, wrote in another thread, the self-depreciation (even intended as humor) has run its course and lost its value.

Stand tall and proud, and yell "I am doddg, hear me roar" ! :)

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I'm a huge fan of the tacsport, when I get off my PCC kick I intend to track one down. I agree with upgrading to it over spending more on upgrades for your shadow, unless you're into competition. I think there tacsport falls into a different class? Where you can do certain upgrades on the shadow and still be in production.

I really think you would enjoy steel challenge. There is no pressure and at hhrp we don't do any movement. I think it would fit your style of go fast shooting. Target shooting tends to be slow down feel the trigger focus on breathing blah blah, the best steel shooting advice I've got was grip it hard and pull the trigger as fast as you can without moving the barrel. My time basically halved when I took that approach. If you decide to want to come out I can lend you a range bag so you don't even need a holster. ( We shoot from low ready or draw from holster, laid back enjoyable shooting)

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

If I get what he is saying correctly, I don't think he is talking about mechanical accuracy, I think what he is really talking about is the "fit" of the gun allowing him to shoot it more accurately. One can learn to shoot most handguns accurately with enough practice, I think most people have particular models that are noticeably easier or harder for them to shoot well than others.

Top Bottom