• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    As my buddy, mcapo, wrote in another thread, the self-depreciation (even intended as humor) has run its course and lost its value.
    Stand tall and proud, and yell "I am doddg, hear me roar" ! :)

1. I remember reading that now that you say!
    2. All right: no more self-deprecating humor, but it is my default, testing people to see if they will believe it, just to have them find out from somewhat else: "He's kidding you!" :laugh:
    3. I do love your humor, though, in your second line.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If I get what he is saying correctly, I don't think he is talking about mechanical accuracy, I think what he is really talking about is the "fit" of the gun allowing him to shoot it more accurately. One can learn to shoot most handguns accurately with enough practice, I think most people have particular models that are noticeably easier or harder for them to shoot well than others.

1. Interesting insight, and with me, makes sense, with my lack of experience, there are some guns that I seemed to have an affinity with.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If I get what he is saying correctly, I don't think he is talking about mechanical accuracy, I think what he is really talking about is the "fit" of the gun allowing him to shoot it more accurately. One can learn to shoot most handguns accurately with enough practice, I think most people have particular models that are noticeably easier or harder for them to shoot well than others.

Absolutely, that's why I said "easier to be accurate with." Each individual will have guns they shoot better than others. I don't shoot G***** very well. It is most certainly not the gun. That's the point I was trying, unsuccessfully, to make. All of the guns mentioned would most probably have about the same mechanical accuracy. None of those models have an accurized bushing that I am aware of.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Absolutely, that's why I said "easier to be accurate with." Each individual will have guns they shoot better than others. I don't shoot G***** very well. It is most certainly not the gun. That's the point I was trying, unsuccessfully, to make. All of the guns mentioned would most probably have about the same mechanical accuracy. None of those models have an accurized bushing that I am aware of.

I was just clarifying because it seemed as though you were both talking past each other a bit. I don't typically shoot G17s or 19s well but can shoot G20s or 21s much better. The worst/most difficult for me though is Beretta 92s and clones.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I was just clarifying because it seemed as though you were both talking past each other a bit. I don't typically shoot G17s or 19s well but can shoot G20s or 21s much better. The worst/most difficult for me though is Beretta 92s and clones.

Yeah, it's always seemed odd to me what different people have trouble with. For me it's the G*****. Other people it's different things. Some really good shooters can't shoot some really good guns well and there really is no rhyme or reason why.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    1. I remember reading that now that you say!
    2. All right: no more self-deprecating humor, but it is my default, testing people to see if they will believe it, just to have them find out from somewhat else: "He's kidding you!" :laugh:
    3. I do love your humor, though, in your second line.

:yesway:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm a huge fan of the tacsport, when I get off my PCC kick I intend to track one down. I agree with upgrading to it over spending more on upgrades for your shadow, unless you're into competition. I think there tacsport falls into a different class? Where you can do certain upgrades on the shadow and still be in production.

I really think you would enjoy steel challenge. There is no pressure and at hhrp we don't do any movement. I think it would fit your style of go fast shooting. Target shooting tends to be slow down feel the trigger focus on breathing blah blah, the best steel shooting advice I've got was grip it hard and pull the trigger as fast as you can without moving the barrel. My time basically halved when I took that approach. If you decide to want to come out I can lend you a range bag so you don't even need a holster. ( We shoot from low ready or draw from holster, laid back enjoyable shooting)

1. Interesting.
    2. Did I ask you yesterday about the when and where?
    3. Someone was talking about a Monday evening regular thing, but I'm not sure where they were located.
    4. During the normal work week I can't drive to Columbus, IN, but I have another meeting on Mondays now anyway.
    5. Thought I'd ask again since I don't remember if this is the same or different one.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

I'll I believe this goes beyond the physical fit as well. For some reason I shoot a Glock 23 much better than I shoot a Glock 19. Both guns are identical in form yet the overall feel of the Glock 23 under recoil works better for me. I imagine you see the the same thing in CZ's. While a 75B and a shadow may feel similar in the hand the dynamics of the gun under a recoil can be significantly different.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Yes ours are Monday evenings every other week. There is surely something similar up in your neck of the woods

1. Thanks for responding: again!

Friday Night Steel at MCFG on the west side of Indy. Lots of fun, and a good way to practice with that new Shadow.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iday-night-steel-marion-county-fish-game.html

2. I'll look up the link when I get home form 5 appts., three of them about selling my guns: this is why I don't like selling more than one at a time!

I'll I believe this goes beyond the physical fit as well. For some reason I shoot a Glock 23 much better than I shoot a Glock 19. Both guns are identical in form yet the overall feel of the Glock 23 under recoil works better for me. I imagine you see the the same thing in CZ's. While a 75B and a shadow may feel similar in the hand the dynamics of the gun under a recoil can be significantly different.

3. The nuances will take me a decade to figure out probably.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    1. Strange that you say your opinions weren't welcome.
    He said this because of how you responded to all of the things that he said. Just reading how you responded to his comments looks like you felt like you were being publicly corrected and took offense to it.
    2. Yes they were negative, but that is OK, like I said.
    His comments were NOT negative unless you look at them negatively. If you go back and reread his comments and instead of reading them on the defensive, read them like a teacher trying help set a student up for success.
    3. It is ironic that my honest feedback hit a nerve b/c I did learned from what you said and took no offense.
    Your responses look like you took offense, which was not his intentions.
    4. I live in a real world where I am questioned as to my professional veracity about once a month (teacher evaluations), getting criticized on how to do my teaching job better, by Principals half my age that if they were locked in a room with the students would be eaten alive, ha!
    Even with this example you seem to be saying that you get criticized by people who don't know what they are talking about.
    5. So, realize that your comments were taken in the vein in how you intended: instructive.
    This doesn't seem to be the case.
    When he said
    I suggest you invest your time and money on training and practice.

And your response was
    4. I have.
    5. I have shot hundreds and hundreds of rounds the summer:
    a few thousand.
    6. By the end of this day, I will have taken three classes, each about four or five hours long.
    7. I have a class coming up this fall that lasts all day, I just hope I have the stamina to get through the day.

Hundreds and hundreds of rounds, and thousands of rounds shot doesn't equal training and practice. It CAN be practice and it CAN be training, but two days ago you said
    4. Summing up what I learned today:
    A. Finger on slide till ready to shoot at the line (at least outside of trigger guard)
    This tells me that you could use more people helping you and the best way to have people help you is to be teachable and not be like a snapping turtle with the guise that you are being brutally honest.

There are some know-it-alls here, but there are far more people who have experience and are willing to help and share their knowledge with others, and even they will learn things from other people about some things.
    Here is what I think of when your name comes up:
    1. Likes to put his remarks into lists
    2. Enjoys shooting at the range and goes often
    3. Loves .22 LR
    4. Is a teacher
    5. Historically doesn't keep a gun very long

I don't have anything against you. I find your posts interesting.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    He said this because of how you responded to all of the things that he said. Just reading how you responded to his comments looks like you felt like you were being publicly corrected and took offense to it.

His comments were NOT negative unless you look at them negatively. If you go back and reread his comments and instead of reading them on the defensive, read them like a teacher trying help set a student up for success.

Your responses look like you took offense, which was not his intentions.

Even with this example you seem to be saying that you get criticized by people who don't know what they are talking about.

This doesn't seem to be the case.
    When he said
    I suggest you invest your time and money on training and practice.

And your response was
    4. I have.
    5. I have shot hundreds and hundreds of rounds the summer:
    a few thousand.
    6. By the end of this day, I will have taken three classes, each about four or five hours long.
    7. I have a class coming up this fall that lasts all day, I just hope I have the stamina to get through the day.

Hundreds and hundreds of rounds, and thousands of rounds shot doesn't equal training and practice. It CAN be practice and it CAN be training, but two days ago you said
    4. Summing up what I learned today:
    A. Finger on slide till ready to shoot at the line (at least outside of trigger guard)
    This tells me that you could use more people helping you and the best way to have people help you is to be teachable and not be like a snapping turtle with the guise that you are being brutally honest.

There are some know-it-alls here, but there are far more people who have experience and are willing to help and share their knowledge with others, and even they will learn things from other people about some things.
    Here is what I think of when your name comes up:
    1. Likes to put his remarks into lists
    2. Enjoys shooting at the range and goes often
    3. Loves .22 LR
    4. Is a teacher
    5. Historically doesn't keep a gun very long

I don't have anything against you. I find your posts interesting.

1. I really appreciate your feedback.
    2. No, my style is extremely direct, and that can put people off.
    3. My student's tell me, “Mr. Dodd, we don’t know when you’re kidding or not”
    4. I am extremely intense in my communications, and I’ve learned to try to cover that up with being extra gentle so it doesn’t come across wrong.
    5. This is what happens when I get up early in the morning and try to communicate: even more direct and more intense, Ha!
    6. I just caught the part about “snapping turtle” that was really funny but I am sorry if I came across that way was not my intention.
    I know that happens at home with my wife sometimes I know I can be guilty,
    7. I was trying to dictate while in the Dr.'s office and hat to do a little editing.
    8. In summary, what I hear you saying is that I was coming across "snarky." Again, not my intention.
    9. In in no way do I want to discourage any of the "old heads" here to hold back any input that will help me.

Last edited:

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    Doddg, what a great find on that shadow 2 congratulations. You should take up the guys on the MCF&G steel match. I have never been to theirs but have been to a lot of steel matches. I am sure you will enjoy it and it’s so much fun to hear your hits from steel,as with every other competition the other people will be glad to offer advice to you.
    Also go to the CZ photo thread and post a picture of your new beast.:):

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Bring that thing to Friday Night Steel at MCF&G. This Friday would be a good time to try it out!

1. I would have loved to come and watched what goes on, but today was "vacation/date" day with the wife (we didn't get to go anywhere with my surgery and follow-up therapy).
    2. Went and saw the Mission Impossible movie at 11:45 am (only costs $5 at that time of day, and yes, my wife likes cheap dates :laugh:: I married right! :dunno:
    3. Then, after eating out, we spent the evening SUV shopping online. I think I have her converted to a Subaru Forester instead of a Honda CR-V: were both tired of our 3 decades of Corollas, and need something easier to access. :fogey: Might buy one tomorrow.

Doddg, what a great find on that shadow 2 congratulations. You should take up the guys on the MCF&G steel match. I have never been to theirs but have been to a lot of steel matches. I am sure you will enjoy it and it’s so much fun to hear your hits from steel,as with every other competition the other people will be glad to offer advice to you.
    Also go to the CZ photo thread and post a picture of your new beast.:):

4. I posted the pics on my "Bought Shadow 2" thread and thought I'd get grief if I posted it again on the CZ thread, but I'll do it gladly!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I haven't gotten as much range time as I'd hoped b/c of taking out time to shop for an SUV for the wife this last week before school.
    And, I had to try out a Browning Buckmark I'd bought, which I think will be more accurate than anything else.

But, I love picking up the gun with it's heft, and the trigger is nice, the aim and shot seem on target.
    I am really enjoying shooting it.
    I would have been happy with either of the other two CZs since they were the most accurate guns I'd owned.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I predict doddg will be keeping the Shadow 2 for the long term and that no Cajun upgrades will be needed or desired.
    :ar15:

1. Well, my friend, I must stand up and make an apology. (It comes later, but you'll see where I'm going)
    2. I bought this gun so I would not spend $400 - $500 upgrading one of the other two CZ I had: 75B & SP-01.
    3. I have been corrupted shooting other's guns that have been sweetened up.
    4. I drove up to Lafayette to shoot half-a-dozen CZs that had been "liquored up" with Cajun upgrades.
    5. I've learned not to mention names, he said he didn't mind when I asked him, but I got some criticism once so I don't, but you'll know who it is.
    6. Anyway, the first gun I had in my hand (75, I think), when I pulled the double-action trigger I was in disbelief! :wow:
    7. It was the smoothest ever pull in my life, all the way: it never gave up its smoothness. (about a 5# DA pull felt like water, jello, or ...)
    8. He had a Shadow 2 that had "the works," and it was such a pleasure to shoot.
    9. I shot better with his guns than with my Shadow 2. He would take my own Shadow 2 and shoot it better than me, which my best friend here has done with any number of my guns at the range: outshoot me with my own guns. Really hacks me off! :wallbash:
    10. I shot a Shadow 1, a Phantom, a P-10 and some older CZs: I was in hog heaven! :rockwoot:
    11. I even took my Bersa Thunder Pro XT for him to try, and he had to admit it was a fine stock trigger. The seller and I were talking tonight and he has another one and showed me pics of a 5.8 D/A 1st pull and a 2.6 S/A pull: all this on an out-of-the-box Bersa Thunder Pro XT. The seller (and quite the fan of the Pro XT) believes it to be the best DA/SA on the planet, better than most custom jobs. I knew there was a reason I loved it!
    12. Back to my point. Due to my reading and then shooting other's guns even before shooting in Lafayette, I had made up my mind I would get some minor "tuning."
    13. So, even though I said I would never upgrade this "perfect" gun: I am doing a little of it.
    14. There are 3 options/levels, and I'm not doing the full monty.
    15. I originally was going to just have some polishing and trigger and spring work done, but I decided I'd regret it in a year when I wanted more, so I'm going to go with turning the Shadow 2 into a SA only while I'm at it: I never use the D/A at the range anyway and I like the benefits that the S/A brings to the table.
    16. My biggest friend here made the mistake of telling me about the 10x bushing, and after researching it: why not? Reviews were mixed, but it was less than the price of a box of ammo. :laugh:
    17. I wish I had the technical background to have remembered all the choices that was talked about .
    18. I'm taking option 2, adding the S/A to the Option 1 work.
    19. Well, gmcttr, I guess that wasn't much of an apology. :rofl:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    ^^^^doddg, welcome to the club. It's hard to refrain from tinkering with firearms. I look at it as a way to personalize it. The only guns I have not messed with are some of my father's guns that were passed down to me and guns that I owned for a short time and then decided to sell.

And the guns I got from my father don't need any "tinkering". They are older, high quality firearms that frankly one couldn't take a newer version and do anything to make it near what these old ones are.

Good luck with the updates!

Top Bottom