• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    How's the trigger on the WC? I have a mid 90s GP100 that has a decent trigger; I improved it with reduced power springs and consider it very good, but even the best Ruger GP100 triggers I've manipulated weren't what I'd consider excellent.

I'm interested to know if they were able to step it up a few notches with the WC.

1. The previous owner mentioned in the ad:
    "It has Wilson springs in it and they have run perfect. I also have the factory springs and the other Wilson's that came in the kit."

2. I don't have the experience to judge, but this trigger is wonderful to me, as is the Colt Cobra's.
    3. The pull is better on both than others I've fired: smooth the entire pull.
    4. The trigger is a hair different than the Colt Cobra, but nearly the same, and I'm hard-pressed to say one is better than the other, although if I was pressed I would admit that each has its own positives that others would differ as to which of those mattered to them.
    5. I thought they were both great triggers.

My 627-0 would take issue with your statement. That might be a good thread: a debate on what is the quintessential .357 magnum. I bet there would be a few votes for the Python as well.

6. I had to look up "627-0" b/c I didn't know if it was a Smith or a Ruger or even something else: that's what you are dealing with here: inexperience. :ugh:
    7. Probably the really "good" ones are out of my price point. That is one of the reasons I bought this one b/c I supposed buying a "Wiley Clapp" limited edition gun would be the closest I'd ever get to getting a "tuned" revolver.
    8. I have almost stretched out and bought a performance center revolver before, but couldn't justify it for my limited needs/wants. Humorously enough, I'm supposed to be in trim mode and should have just kept my Security Six: a fine gun for my intended home defense purpose.
    But, I'm weak and suffering from addiction issues with my hobby that has grown out of control. :laugh:

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Not to start this war early but the 2 .357 Pythons I owned (both new) were no where near the platform of the S&W's of the same time frame. No where near. JMHO of course and I will be retreating to avoid the incoming from the colt faithful.....:):

1. I've got to get ready for Church, so I'll read about it later in the day! :ingo:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    How's the trigger on the WC? I have a mid 90s GP100 that has a decent trigger; I improved it with reduced power springs and consider it very good, but even the best Ruger GP100 triggers I've manipulated weren't what I'd consider excellent.

I'm interested to know if they were able to step it up a few notches with the WC.

My 627-0 would take issue with your statement. That might be a good thread: a debate on what is the quintessential .357 magnum. I bet there would be a few votes for the Python as well.

How about “a” quintessential .357?

The platform has been around a long long time with many well refined models and manufacturers. Doddg isn’t going to buy a Python.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

I'll have to answer that one. The factory trigger wasn't bad, it was about like the normal GP's, maybe a little smoother but not really any lighter. It compared pretty closely to the others I'd fired in the past, although none of them were from the 90's era. It was decent for home defense work the way it was. I had recently changed the springs in my 642 a couple months prior, it was stupid heavy, and had some grit to it. I was pleased with the spring & polish I did on it and wondered what the GP would be like. I ordered a set of the Wilson's and started with the 10# springs. It smoothed it out and lightened it up nicely. I didn't try any of the other weights since I was pleased with the 10's. No polishing or any other modifications were done on the GP, just the springs.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'll have to answer that one. The factory trigger wasn't bad, it was about like the normal GP's, maybe a little smoother but not really any lighter. It compared pretty closely to the others I'd fired in the past, although none of them were from the 90's era. It was decent for home defense work the way it was. I had recently changed the springs in my 642 a couple months prior, it was stupid heavy, and had some grit to it. I was pleased with the spring & polish I did on it and wondered what the GP would be like. I ordered a set of the Wilson's and started with the 10# springs. It smoothed it out and lightened it up nicely. I didn't try any of the other weights since I was pleased with the 10's. No polishing or any other modifications were done on the GP, just the springs.

1. I was hoping you'd chime in! :thumbsup:
    2. I made you dry fire the Colt when we met, and I don't suppose you remember your impressions between the two?
    3. I was dry firing just yesterday both guns and it seems fuzzy in my mind. :dunno:

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    1. I was hoping you'd chime in! :thumbsup:
    2. I made you dry fire the Colt when we met, and I don't suppose you remember your impressions between the two?
    3. I was dry firing just yesterday both guns and it seems fuzzy in my mind. :dunno:

I didn't think the Colt was too bad, it didn't seem too gritty, just kind of heavy. It was a different feel than the Smith & Rugers, kind of like a point midway where it stacked some.

I'm not sure about the new Colts, I've never fired or opened one up, but the old ones were difficult to work on. IF you could find someone to do a trigger job then they were greatly improved, but still not as nice as a well done Smith. The old Colts factory trigger was reasonably smooth, but other than that it wasn't anything to write home about.

Once the :poop: is done hitting the fan I'd like to pick up a 640, 66 and a 69. At least one of those will be going to Sand Burr if they are still doing work on them.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Thanks for the info on the trigger. The way I judge revolvers, the trigger makes up 50%, whether it's a .357 magnum is 49%, then all other factors are the remaining 1% :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the info on the trigger. The way I judge revolvers, the trigger makes up 50%, whether it's a .357 magnum is 49%, then all other factors are the remaining 1% :laugh:

1. I'm an amateur, but when you can fire more accurately in D/A than in S/A: that is a sweet trigger, better than what I'm used to since I previously had less expensive .38s or .357s. where I paid around between $275 - $375.
    2. I have been learning in the past 2ish years that when you pay more: better.
    3. I loved the stock trigger on the Colt, and I like just a smidgen better, the one on the Ruger, but the previous owner here did put in a Wilson spring to improve it a hair over stock, which I assume the Wiley Clapp edition would have had a "better" trigger than a stock GP100 .357 anyway.
    4. I think there are 1 or 2 more springs that he gave me, and I'd love to try an even lighter spring, but I guess you get into ignition issues, and it is so sweet now: why bother (since I can't do the work myself). :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I happened to be at a LGS where I mentioned had a SW 686-6 .357, 6" barrel, SS.
    DA trigger was heavy, SA was fine.
    A member told me about one at Bradis for $535 (only 6 rounds, though).
    This one was asking $640 (7 rounds), but this store has always taken offers (how would I know that? :laugh: ).
    I passed on it since I don't want a range .357. The Ruger GP100 .357 Wiley Clapp edition trigger is too sweet to give up since the original owner here put the Wilson springs in it: the Wilson springs have spoiled me. :dunno:

convert

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    A 686 6" was my first ever handgun back in the late 1980s. Don't have that one but did pick up another in 1994 - a 686-4 , the most accurate 357 revolver I ever owned.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just learned about this:
    Smith & Wesson 627 Performance Center M627
    $1,064.99

Action double single action
    Barrel 5"
    Finish Matte Stainless
    Length 9.5"
    Safety Internal Lock
    Sights Gold Bead / Adjustable
    Caliber 357 Magnum | 38 Special
    Capacity 8

It just never ends, does it? :dunno:
    convert

And, yes, I found one for $725. :coffee:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    $725 is a really good deal for a 627 PC that is a good price for a 627 PRO which is not a Performance Center gun.
    I'm assuming used?
    New 627 PC for $725 I'll take 2 please.;)

BTW S&W PC revolvers do NOT have any action work above a standard S&W revolver. They do put a different mainspring in them though.
    I do know a guy that can fix that though:rockwoot:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    $725 is a really good deal for a 627 PC that is a good price for a 627 PRO which is not a Performance Center gun.
    I'm assuming used?
    New 627 PC for $725 I'll take 2 please.;)

BTW S&W PC revolvers do NOT have any action work above a standard S&W revolver. They do put a different mainspring in them though.
    I do know a guy that can fix that though:rockwoot:

1. This must be the difference you speak of:

PERFORMANCE CENTER® PRO SERIES® MODEL 627
    SKU: 178014
    $999.00* SW retail
    PERFORMANCE CENTER® PRO SERIES® MODEL 627
    SKU: 178014
    $999.00* Retail
    Completing the line between main production and the Performance Center, the Smith & Wesson Pro Series represents the next step from standard models. These firearms are offered with a variety of enhancements yet still remain true to "stock." Bringing competition specifications and features to factory models, the Pro Series offer that ready-to-go package while still maintaining production line integrity.

Features
    • Chambered Charge Holes
    • Custom Barrel with Recessed Precision Crown
    • Bossed Mainspring
    • Cylinder cut for moon clips (Moon Clips Included)

PERFORMANCE CENTER® MODEL 627
    SKU: 170210
    $1,289.00* SW retail

Performance Center guns originate from standard designs or are created from the ground up. From hand-cutting and fitting to fine tuning for precision, these firearms are top performers. Products from the Performance Center are the ultimate expression of old-world craftsmanship blended with modern technology.

Features
    • Chrome Flashed Teardrop Hammer
    • Chrome Trigger and Trigger Stop
    • PC Tuned Action
    • Cylinder cut for moon clips (Moon Clips Included)

2. Yes, I agree and it certainly got my attention! :thumbsup:
    3. I decided that since I'm mainly a connoisseur (in my mind,
    :lmfao:) of everything .22LR handgun and that is what I'll shoot most of the time (when I'm not "vetting" something else like lately), I didn't "need" a "state of the art" .357/.38 revolver that is mostly just going to be a home defense sit-in-the-drawer gun.
    4. Yet. :laugh: I have been known to be a contradiction and change my mind as I "mature" in my tastes in my hobby.
    I have shot the Wizard's "tripped-out" CZs, and the first time I did a DA pull with one just dry-firing it:
    :wow:
    Yesterday, when I dry-fired a 75B (or D?) I was shocked at how "tough" the trigger was in DA and even SA was below my "level" now. :laugh:
    This is due to exposure to the "good, better and best" concept in gun upgrades. :ingo:
    5. 2 yrs. ago I would never have dreamed of owning a $500 .22LR handgun, but I now have 3 of those with one costing nearly $1000 (Smith 41)
    :spend:, and in the .357/.38 realm I started out with multiple $300 revolvers and now have "evolved" into my $600 Wiley Clapp handgun (which I am proud of myself for indulging, of which the Colt Cobra started me down that road).
    6. Me not buying the SW 686 yesterday (been eyeing that since before the Colt and Wiley Clapp), after having it in my hands was a big step in exercising control (and the superior trigger of the W. C. did it for me.
    7. But, the idea of the 7 round in the 686 got my attention and now this 8 round really makes me salivate: I didn't even know an 8 round existed.
    :ugh:
    I confess that so everyone can laugh at me, I'm a little embarrassed
    :dunno:, but I never looked at revolvers that expensive before.
    8. If I wasn't retiring I would have bought the 686 just to take it for a whirl, like I love to do, then I'd have to have sold it to take this 627 for a whirl: it truly never ends! :dunno:
    9. I am tired of buying 9mm polymers b/c after a point they are "all the same" in my mind (especially after having the CZ P-09 and P-10) with "nothing new" there for me, although I might still try out the P-07 someday, or even a PCR if the value is there for me, as a larger CC (I now have the Bersa TPR9 compact).
    I sold the Sig P365 anticipating getting one with a safety, but I might just keep the Ruger LC9s for my "small" CC and have a larger 9mm "on tap."

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Revolvers are definitely a disease. I'm always looking for a deal on one of my "someday" revolvers (a 686, 66, SP101, maybe another 627, 327, or GP100).

Don't second guess that GP100 you have. If you love the trigger, then show it love. Don't get rid of an amazing revolver just to chase after another.

Sure the 627 and 686 are amazing guns also, but you don't have to have one today.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Revolvers are definitely a disease. I'm always looking for a deal on one of my "someday" revolvers (a 686, 66, SP101, maybe another 627, 327, or GP100).

1. And, I'm not even really looking for revolvers, but when I stumble onto something it does lead to a "can of worms," or perhaps I should say, a "can of chocolates!"

Don't second guess that GP100 you have. If you love the trigger, then show it love. Don't get rid of an amazing revolver just to chase after another.

2. Agreed! I have fought through 3 other variances on the theme .357 so I think I'm safe (as long as I don't stumble onto something that I know I could pass along to someone here if it didn't work out with me).
    3. Since I don't need a range .357, I should be safe in my resolve. :dunno:
    4. Though, I fail regularly in that resolve when it comes to yet another .22LR, like a SW 617 is on my wish list, but they don't come around used often and when they do they are as much as new. :scratch:

Sure the 627 and 686 are amazing guns also, but you don't have to have one today.

5. Exactly what I have told myself! :thumbsup: Guns, along with cars: there is always another one.
    6. Perhaps I'll be able to shoot someone's at the range someday, but after pulling the trigger on the 686, I got over that, but the Performance Center 627 should have a better trigger AND it is an 8 round, which I find intoxicating.
    :draw:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    If/when I move back to Indiana, I'll join you at the range and we can shoot some serious .357s.

GP100, mid 1990s manufacture. added hi viz front sight, polish action & wolff springs, aftermarket stocks, bead blast finish.

Sorry I'm apparently unable to post any more pics from photobucket at this time.

327PC: scandium frame, titanium cylinder, 21(?) oz. 8 rds capacity, 1980s S&W factory production round butt grip (I like these better than the current factory version).

It's fun to have 8 rounds of .357 magnum on tap, but it can be painful to get through the entire cylinder. You wouldn't have that problem with the 627 because it's significantly heavier.

DSCN1605.jpg

627-0 Model of 1989. My "holy grail" of handguns. "only" 6 round capacity, but unfluted cylinder, walls so thick you can load as hot as you want. Action like a swiss watch. Can shoot all day as long as the ammo holds out.

IMG_20140916_11415_edit_1410882222719.jpg

Screw you photobucket

There's a reason .357 magnum is my favorite caliber.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If/when I move back to Indiana, I'll join you at the range and we can shoot some serious .357s.
    GP100, mid 1990s manufacture. added hi viz front sight, polish action & wolff springs, aftermarket stocks, bead blast finish.
    Sorry I'm apparently unable to post any more pics from photobucket at this time.

327PC: scandium frame, titanium cylinder, 21(?) oz. 8 rds capacity, 1980s S&W factory production round butt grip (I like these better than the current factory version).

It's fun to have 8 rounds of .357 magnum on tap, but it can be painful to get through the entire cylinder. You wouldn't have that problem with the 627 because it's significantly heavier.

DSCN1605.jpg

627-0 Model of 1989. My "holy grail" of handguns. "only" 6 round capacity, but unfluted cylinder, walls so thick you can load as hot as you want. Action like a swiss watch. Can shoot all day as long as the ammo holds out.

IMG_20140916_11415_edit_1410882222719.jpg

Screw you photobucket
    There's a reason .357 magnum is my favorite caliber.

1. The 2nd gun showed up when I was doing this reply, so I got to see it (can't wait to see if it shows up in my reply). I see it didn't, funny it shows when I'm writing my reply! :scratch:
    2. Your guns are awesome! :thumbsup:
    3. I love getting together with members and shooting. I've only done it no more than 10 times, with 1 individual 3-4 times. :ar15::shoot::draw:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Finally took the revolvers out (that weren't .22LR) and shot them and it shows that I haven't been shooting them.
    I was really surprised since the Ruger LCRx shot better in D/A than S/A, and shot better than my prized Ruger GP100 Wiley Clapp ed. .357 (used .38 specials in it this pm)
    I am totally flabbergasted that the smaller lighter LCRx out-shot the GP100.
    Totally embarrassing at only 20'.
    faPvLbj.jpg

I was so upset that I shot each at only 12' with the LCRx on the right of the center target, and the GP100 on the left of the center target.
    Hard to see, but the GP100 did put 2 rounds through nearly the same hole near the "+" I drew, but I thought the grouping of both was poor.
    No excuses: I know it's all me and my eyes and hands. :ugh:
    YEmmaYH.jpg

Top Bottom