• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    The NFL didn't fire Hank Williams, ESPN did. It's doubtful that the NFL even had a hand in their decision. ESPN is a business they make decisions based on their best interests. NBC can do the same, but since it is supposedly a "liberal" station, I doubt much more than an apology will be issued; if that.

Thanks, that makes perfect sense and I should have put that together. I knew that Hank Williams was fired by ESPN, but didn't realize that ESPN operated totally independent of the NFL as far as Monday Night Football programming is concerned. And I suspect you're also right about liberal NBC not doing much about Costas - hopefully they at least tell him to keep his political tyrades to himself. It sucks that NBC will probably let Costas's behavior ride, but at least I can relax and keep watching football now. :D

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    If anyone with Colt's season tickets would like to support the boycott, I will lessen the pain by buying your tickets. At less than face value of course. I know you want to feel the pain of sacrifice still.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have decided to boycott the NFL with my dollar. No more attending games, no more buying merchandise. Please join me! Our rights trump sports!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCv_e0szq6c

If you're truly boycotting the NFL then you won't be watching any games. The lion's share of their revenue comes from TV.

So, you gonna watch Heidi instead?

It's not Costas wasn't even speaking on behalf of the NFL, if anything the blame falls on the network he appeared on. Most of the other networks carry NFL games, but it's ok to boycott Fox or ESPN based on what a NBC Sports Commentator stated? Kinda dumb if you ask me...:dunno:

Exactly. NBC's always been "soft" on sports - that why I hate watching them and Costas and his feel good (or feel bad) stories are the worst.

Personally, I don't want the NFL running the networks with an iron fist. The NFL should focus on football and let the networks deal with rogue anchors. Plus, who's to say the NFL didn't go to NBC in private and ask for reprimand of Costas and NBC told them to pound sand?

VidGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Muncie
    The NFL sells the rights to air its games to NBC.

NBC hires Costas to work these games.

You can't really hold the NFL to what Costas says. He doesn't work for them. He's not their spokesman.

Boycott if you like, but it's like boycotting Burger King because cows promote Chik-Fil-A.

Butros17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    The NFL sells the rights to air its games to NBC.

NBC hires Costas to work these games.

You can't really hold the NFL to what Costas says. He doesn't work for them. He's not their spokesman.

Boycott if you like, but it's like boycotting Burger King because cows promote Chik-Fil-A.

I boycott Burger King because it's nasty, and Chik-Fil-A needs no promotions....it's deliciousness does all the work.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think that was more of a Bob Costas thing than an NFL thing. It was very sickening to hear the ridiculous quotes from that article though. Sickening........

I understand that Costas and Whitlock do not work for the NFL, however, they're (especially Costas) representing them--either directly or indirectly. I feel that if they took issue (which I think we both agree that they should) with his words, they would come out and condemn them. Just imagine if he made a racist comment. The NFL would demand that NBC not have Costas broadcast during their games; I guarantee it. It's hard to watch football on television without hearing from a commentator. If the NFL cared about angering a large portion of their fan base (which the 80 million American gun owners comprise), they'd clearly attempt to rectify the situation.

College football all the way. Go Irish!

Much agreed. Go Irish! I'm sad they broadcast on NBC.

Can someone please explain to me how calling for an NFL boycott because of a few events is any different than media/politicians/haters calling for a gun ban because of bad things that happen with guns?

:popcorn:

There is a huge difference. I'm not supporting the NFL because I don't knowingly support anti-gun groups. The NFL obviously does not care about my rights, so why would I help them make money to further their agenda? I don't like Planned Parenthood, either (because they support abortion). I couldn't care less about the positive aspects of the organization. I love football, but my Second Amendment rights are more important.

If someone is anti-gun, I'd expect that they wouldn't buy one, wouldn't join the NRA (or INGO), or support pro-gun organizations. I'm not calling for a ban on professional football or wishing that Bob Costas/James Whitlock would be prosecuted. I support their right to say whatever they wants about the Second Amendment and gun owners. The anti-gunners are urging increased legislation prosecution; I'm urging a boycott. It's fundamentally different.

I'll reserve judgement until we see what the NFL's response is to Costas and if they allow any more Costas-style dribble in the future. If they fired Hank Williams Jr over his Obama remarks, but don't lift a finger about Costas, I will be strongly inclined to join the OP.

My only problem is one that most men probably wish they had too. I've turned my wife into a big football fan. She even stays up to watch Monday Night Football after I go to bed. I think I may have created a football monster! ;)

As I said before, I love football; it is, by far, my favorite sport. I happen to like guns more.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    The NFL has done it. They've approved the mainstream sports media to get away from sports, and into the gun control arena. There are numerous threads already on INGO that discuss these issues. If the NFL wholeheartedly disagreed with what Costas and Whitlock had to say, there would have been a retraction by now (Just look at what happened to Hank Williams, Jr. when he spoke out against our dictator). I have decided to boycott the NFL with my dollar. No more attending games, no more buying merchandise. Please join me! Our rights trump sports!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-R2KRFj6cbA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCv_e0szq6c

ESPN, FIRED Rush .....

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    ESPN, FIRED Rush .....

I understand. They also fired Hank, Jr. for things he said during an interview on the Fox News Channel. The NFL is a customer of the networks, and they pay billions of dollars for their services. ESPN obviously thought that the comments made by Rush and Hank, Jr. would disappoint their customer (the NFL). If you boycott the NFL, and given that you watch the games on TV, versus watching them lives, you're also hurting the networks. That's my logic.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    I understand. They also fired Hank, Jr. for things he said during an interview on the Fox News Channel. The NFL is a customer of the networks, and they pay billions of dollars for their services. ESPN obviously thought that the comments made by Rush and Hank, Jr. would disappoint their customer (the NFL). If you boycott the NFL, and given that you watch the games on TV, versus watching them lives, you're also hurting the networks. That's my logic.

I think this topic has you a bit confused.

The NFL doesn't pay the networks anything. It's the other way around. The networks all bid for the rights to telecast the games and the NFL rakes in billions. That money is then divided up between the league, the owners, and the NFLPA.

If you really don't like what Costas said (and no one does), a much better plan would be to purposely watch the games and make a note of what companies are advertising on NBC while the game is on. Go to the Internet, find the customer complaint (or similar) section on their website, and write to complain! Better yet, call their 800 number and complain. Do it several times.

If every gun owner who didn't like his remarks were to do this simple thing, and tell the advertisers that we will no longer buy their product until Costas is gone, and then back that up by actually not buying them, I assure you Costas would be gone in less than 2 weeks. Guaranteed.

So....instead of a rant on a gun forum about something totally unrelated to the problem, tune in on Sunday night, make a list, and then start contacting. If enough people do so, they can move mountains.

Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    NFL…what's that?

Oh ya, its one of those "professional" sports that those crybabies get paid way to much to play. I've been boycotting those for about 15 years.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I dont care what Costas and Whitlock said, they have the right to their opinion. Im not boycotting something I like because someone who is in a round about way affiliated to them says something I dont like.

Are you going to boycott Walking Dead becuase some actor on an AMC show says something you dont like? Seems to me we would be boycotting everything if we followe this rationale about everything.

Those who call for boycotts probably dont like what they wont others to boycott anyway.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I understand that Costas and Whitlock do not work for the NFL, however, they're (especially Costas) representing them--either directly or indirectly. I feel that if they took issue (which I think we both agree that they should) with his words, they would come out and condemn them. Just imagine if he made a racist comment. The NFL would demand that NBC not have Costas broadcast during their games; I guarantee it. It's hard to watch football on television without hearing from a commentator. If the NFL cared about angering a large portion of their fan base (which the 80 million American gun owners comprise), they'd clearly attempt to rectify the situation.

But, Costas didn't say anything racist. If he did the NFL wouldn't have to lift a finger - the network would self-censor and terminate him.

There is a huge difference. I'm not supporting the NFL because I don't knowingly support anti-gun groups. The NFL obviously does not care about my rights, so why would I help them make money to further their agenda? I don't like Planned Parenthood, either (because they support abortion). I couldn't care less about the positive aspects of the organization. I love football, but my Second Amendment rights are more important.

If someone is anti-gun, I'd expect that they wouldn't buy one, wouldn't join the NRA (or INGO), or support pro-gun organizations. I'm not calling for a ban on professional football or wishing that Bob Costas/James Whitlock would be prosecuted. I support their right to say whatever they wants about the Second Amendment and gun owners. The anti-gunners are urging increased legislation prosecution; I'm urging a boycott. It's fundamentally different.

You haven't answered my question: Are you, Rus, going to stop watching all NFL games?

You got it all wrong. The NFL is a 'supplier of content', they sell television rights to networks and networks sell ad time to retailers (and anyone else) by promising that you, along with millions of other people, will watch the games. This is where most of the income stream is (my guess is over 80%). Ticket sales, web content, logo licensing makes up the rest.

So, I ask you, are you going to stop watching the games on TV? Because, if not, then you're a hypocrite for calling for a boycott but still partaking of that which you purportedly boycott.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    To all:

I am a man who can admit when he is wrong, and I have been wrong about a number of things that I have said, particularly in my two most recent posts on this thread. I obviously had some confusion regarding how the network-NFL agreement work. I tired to do some research before posting, but it looks like that research was poorly done. In hindsight, I think it would have been a better idea to suggest a boycott on NBC or other media outlets. I have to admit that I am rather embarrassed for the hastiness and anger in which I created this thread. I hope that anyone whom I angered or offended can forgive me, and that we will be able to go forth with positive discussions regarding all aspects of gun ownership--which is why we are all here in the first place.

I would have liked to have responded to every poster who commented on the thread, but in the interest of time, I hope this will suffice. I have read every post on the thread, and have learned from them. If you posted, whether in agreement or disagreement, I thank you.

Despite my erroneous line of thinking on several issues, I am still upset about the comments made by Costas and Whitlock. I feel the need to do my part in protesting the issue properly. I had, as another member asked, planned on boycotting the entire NFL--including watching all games. I'm still considering it, although, it seems I may be protesting the wrong entity. I think an injustice was done to all gun owners, and the issue is more serious, IMO, than others are making it out to be.

Does anyone else have other constructive ideas? If not, and others agree, it may be wise to ask a moderator to close this thread. The last intention I had was starting unnecessary arguments.

Thank you.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom