• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I am just really confused as to why full grown adults are so interested in games...I have never sat down and watched a football game,if I had maybe I would understand.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    To all:

I'm glad to see you found "the error of your ways". Sometimes I think it's harder to admit you're wrong on the internet than in person. so :yesway:

Does anyone else have other constructive ideas? If not, and others agree, it may be wise to ask a moderator to close this thread. The last intention I had was starting unnecessary arguments.

:laugh:

A few months ago someone else stirred up a hornets nest and then begged the mods to make the barrage come to an end. - fat chance that'll happen.

Anyways, Costas "apologized", so, back to the pile! Go Colts!

Butros17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I am just really confused as to why full grown adults are so interested in games...I have never sat down and watched a football game,if I had maybe I would understand.

Football for me is a part of my life/upbringing. I played throughout school, pop warner, junior/senior high, two years collegiately. It's something I grew up watching with my father, and now my son with me. I love it.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    The way I look at it, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Sure, Costas views may be "off", but if you remember, his "views" came from someone else! He was reading an article word for word! So no, I will NOT boycott the NFL because a GAME ANNOUNCER went on an Anti-gun rant! Do you know how many NFL players own a firearm? ALOT! Take the entire Oakland Raider team for example! Many NFL players hunt, fish, and are VERY outdoorsy. I see no need for a boycott in this situation

Good ole' America. The land where you have the right to say anything you want, but everyone else has the right to hate you for it. 'Merica!

Butros17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    I agree everyone is entitled to their opinion. But when you voice that opinion through media without provocation/discussion of both sides of the issue it becomes propoganda. And that's what I have a problem with. Had Costas sat there and spent 3 minutes discussing how this was not a gun control issue and was the issue of a man with questionable state of mind and how he approves of everyone walking around with a cannon on their hip, I'd still not care for it. Cause I'm trying to watch football. Keep your chocolate out of my peanut butter.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    I agree everyone is entitled to their opinion. But when you voice that opinion through media without provocation/discussion of both sides of the issue it becomes propoganda. And that's what I have a problem with. Had Costas sat there and spent 3 minutes discussing how this was not a gun control issue and was the issue of a man with questionable state of mind and how he approves of everyone walking around with a cannon on their hip, I'd still not care for it. Cause I'm trying to watch football. Keep your chocolate out of my peanut butter.

Ahhh, never looked at it that way. A good very good analysis, I guess im just used to the whole "Guns are bad, mkay?" mindset. I get my thick skin from my mom's side, so I'm able to ignore a lot of situations like this. I just see no need for an entire NFL boycott when Costa's views aren't the same as the NFL as a whole

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Football for me is a part of my life/upbringing. I played throughout school, pop warner, junior/senior high, two years collegiately. It's something I grew up watching with my father, and now my son with me. I love it.

Well,I guess that is better than hours of video-gaming....I simply try to point out that Americans are very involved in things that are entertaining,and the focus is rarely on the real problems we have...+1 on the Father/Son time!

Butros17

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Well,I guess that is better than hours of video-gaming....I simply try to point out that Americans are very involved in things that are entertaining,and the focus is rarely on the real problems we have...+1 on the Father/Son time!

Oh I agree. As a nation of consumers, a great deal of Americans worry more about having what they want as opposed to wanting what they have. When there's millions of dollars changing hands for every video game, movie, and gadget and American children and their families are starving in every city of every state it's a sad state. Don't get me wrong, I too love a lot of the amenities that are available to me and work hard to be able to provide for my family all that I can; I try to keep in mind and teach my children the larger picture of appreciating what is available to them.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I'm glad to see you found "the error of your ways". Sometimes I think it's harder to admit you're wrong on the internet than in person. so :yesway:

:laugh:

A few months ago someone else stirred up a hornets nest and then begged the mods to make the barrage come to an end. - fat chance that'll happen.

Anyways, Costas "apologized", so, back to the pile! Go Colts!

My understanding is he almost apologized.

Reference: Bob Costas Says Gun Control Lecture Was a ‘Mistake’ But… | Video | TheBlaze.com

"While he has refused to walk back his remarks, Costas almost apologized for the rant during an interview for “The Dan Patrick Show,” saying it was a “mistake” to make such a complex argument when there wasn’t enough time to “flesh” it out.

Costas said he has received “tremendously positive” feedback as well as “considerable backlash” following his comments. He blamed some of the backlash on a coordinated effort by the “gun lobby.” He told Patrick that he was informed by a producer he would have about 1 minute and 15 seconds to talk about the Belcher case. He chose to use that time to read from sports columnist Jason Whitlock’s column, which blames guns for the tragedy.

“My mistake is I left it open for too much communication,” he said. He then blamed the criticism that followed on a lack of time to thoroughly discuss “football culture, the gun culture, domestic violence.”"

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I think I'm even more offended by his apology than his original statement.

From Bob Costas Says Gun Control Lecture Was a ‘Mistake’ But… | Video | TheBlaze.com :

Bob Costas:

"People should be able to own guns for their own protection. Obviously, those who are hunters,” Costas added. “The access to guns is too easy in some cases. I don’t see any reason why a citizen should be able to arm himself, as they can in some states and some cases, arm themselves in ways that only the police or the military should able to — to have a virtual militia purchased by mail order or purchased at gun shows. Why do you need a semi-automatic weapon? What possible use is there for a citizen to have a semi-automatic weapon?”

Costas is just another anti-gunner, with the same uninformed rhetoric. He clearly doesn't understand the meaning and reasons behind the Second Amendment. Even if he disagrees, I wish he'd at least understand why the Second Amendment exists and why people have a right to protect themselves from the government. Furthermore, I wish that he'd learn the process of ordering a firearm off the internet and what a semi-automatic firearm is. I've found that a lot of antis throw out a lot of gun terms (e.g., "assault weapon," and "semi-automatic") for which they do not know the meanings.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    OK, here's a thought:

For those of us that may want to be involved but may not want to watch the games (I feel certain based on other posts in the thread that I'm not the only one who doesn't watch much football or TV in general), how about someone who does post a list in-thread of who the advertisers are for tomorrow, Sunday the 9th, so we all know to whom we should address our complaints?

I'll further suggest that the letters be written cordially and that they and the phone calls be exceedingly polite, specifying that you, the consumer, have no quarrel with the NFL nor even with the companies, but that as long as Mr. Costas is employed by the station and given a place to broadcast his drivel, you will not partake of their products. It's not quite the same as Jim Zumbo, as the latter was somewhat on "our side" prior to his attack upon gun owners, but the analogy still holds true. Let his remarks come back to haunt him where they will hurt Mr. Costas the most: in his wallet.

My :twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Now, I will boycott the NFL if they abolish kickoffs like they've been considering recently.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    My thoughts on Bob Costas :noway:

Dear Bob 'Anti Gun' Costas,
    Maybe, it is Time for YOU to Sermonize on Banning the NFL, 'Culture of Violence'. THREE Murders this week alone Committed by NFL Players and one did NOT use the dreaded Firearm. How about Michael Vick, who Sadistically tortured and Murdered 'Mans Best Friend' and who has returned to the NFL to reap Millions and sung songs of Praise by Liberal Sportscasters such as Yourself. It Seems that I Remember another NFL Player who Murdered TWO Innocents with a Knife and was found NOT Guilty because of his Celebrity and a Racially Biased Jury. This NFL List goes on and on and We could always include the NBA, if We get Bored. I'm sick & tired of the excuses that liberals make to remove Responsibility for One's Actions and Blame an Inanimate Object. Is it Time to BAN the NFL as a Culture of Violence ? What Say You ?

Corbinator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    It's America people ! I proudly served for 8 years in the United States Army to help protect and defend our freedom ! Yes , even the freedom of speech ! Let the guy express his opinion even if it does not line up with your beliefs . It is one of the cornerstones of this great nation.

Football ...... Where do I start ? I have coached for nearly 14 years and have seen countless young men and women find a sense of direction and discipline through the daily grind of practice. I have seen many youngsters spend their formative years working towards the goal of being an NFL superstar. In the end they all learned self respect, discipline and a work ethic often lacking in their peers. So boycott if you want it is your right . As for me I can't imagine taking a single Sunday off ! GO GIANTS

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    If I boycotted everything that annoyed me, I'd be off the grid living alone in an underground bunker, sending this post by smoke signals. Wait, that sounds like half of you here. ;)
    1. I will watch the Colts and other games this afternoon. Later, out of guilt, I will flay myself with a leather strap.
    2. I will not buy an Ar-15 to keep up with the civilian arms race. I will go straight to an M1 A1 Abrams tank and sharks with lasers on their heads.

Top Bottom