Breaking: Per SCOTUS, Same-Sex Marriage is now law of the land.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Churches should get out of the marriage business. Let Justices of the Peace conduct them.

Why? Marriage existed as a solemn set of vows made before God before there even was such a thing as organized government. And certainly people were getting married before government got involved.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Justice Kennedy in his opinion said that churches CAN deny same sex couples, it's the states that must not deny the right. So they can go to a courthouse for a marriage license but a church will not be forced to perform them.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Can a Baptist sue a Catholic Church for not holding/performing a ceremony? Nope. Cases may be filed my good man, but they won't see the inside of a court.

They don't have to go to trial. A wealthy group can come along and sue a church, dragging out litigation until the church folds, either morally or as a legal entity.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Good. If the .gov is going to give benefits to OSM, SSM should receive the same benefits. It was an atrocity to not afford those benefits in the past.

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    You underestimate the power of the screaming masses. Media will latch onto those cases and make them an issue.

We will see. That's just where I see it going.

You have a valid point about screwing masses! Let me rephrase... The cases SHOULD NOT see the inside of a court.

This whole thing could've been avoided by creating "civil unions" for the LGBT community, that allowed them the same rights as married couples. Redefining marriage as "not" only between a man and woman just sucks. I firmly believe that gays who commit to each other as lifelong couples deserve to file joint taxes, have the same insurance abilities et al, I just don't believe it's a "marriage."

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I don't think so. The lawsuits will come.

No church should be forced to do anything they don't want to do. I'm willing to put a lot of money on a bet that people will try. We'll see.

I'm not confident that people will care. This will be the next big issue.

Same sex marriage has been legal in Indiana for over a year now. How many lawsuits have we seen? That's right....none. It's only an issue to the butthurt among certain sects. There are plenty of people who actually are willing to officiate at a same sex marriage that it's not a problem. I really don't see people lining up to get married by some southern baptist hater.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Semantics. This was about equal rights. Who cares what you call it.

Feel free to make up a new word for marriage between a man and woman if it makes you feel better.

You have a valid point about screwing masses! Let me rephrase... The cases SHOULD NOT see the inside of a court.

This whole thing could've been avoided by creating "civil unions" for the LGBT community, that allowed them the same rights as married couples. Redefining marriage as "not" only between a man and woman just sucks. I firmly believe that gays who commit to each other as lifelong couples deserve to file joint taxes, have the same insurance abilities et al, I just don't believe it's a "marriage."

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound

The court has held in the past that separate but equal is not equal at all.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Same sex marriage has been legal in Indiana for over a year now. How many lawsuits have we seen? That's right....none. It's only an issue to the butthurt among certain sects. There are plenty of people who actually are willing to officiate at a same sex marriage that it's not a problem. I really don't see people lining up to get married by some southern baptist hater.

It's like going to an anti-gay baker and suing them when they won't make your cake. There are those vindictive enough to seek out these places, knowing they'll be turned down, and create a case out of it. Some people aren't interested in just finding a more accepting venue.

It happens. It will happen. That's my opinion.

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    They don't have to go to trial. A wealthy group can come along and sue a church, dragging out litigation until the church folds, either morally or as a legal entity.

A church doesn't even need a lawyer to fight this, and there will be plenty willing to tell the litigants off pro bono. No non profit church will fold over denying a same sex ceremony.

Top Bottom