Breaking: Photo Of The New FBI Glock 17M Leaked (IMPD Source)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    Just talked to a buddy on impd and they already took his back. He said on officer drew from holster and the slide stayed in the holster.

Was that in the process of removing from holster for actual use, i.e. point it at a bad guy? Or was it just during dry fire drills? I mean it's not good in either case but I couldn't imagine needing my gun and only getting 1/2 of it from the holster.

I'm in the software industry and we always joke about never taking rev 1.0 of a software product. Maybe the same kinda thing applies with firearms?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Meh, ISP had to send back their new P227's. Not the same problem as the Glock but it was enough that they couldn't use them until it was fixed.

Oh, I know.

It was a dig at the fan boys vs. the guns themselves.

I'd wager that every manufacturer has had massive recalls.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    ISP issued new magazines for the 227's; they even called the recent retirees and traded ours out. I never got a straight answer as to what the problem was, just three new magazines.

Of course, I was grateful they included us in the recall.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Word is the spring under the slide lock (the one you hold down to disassemble) is now a coil spring instead of a leaf spring. It is letting the lock work down as the gun is manipulated or rattled around in a holster. The result is the gun is ready to field strip while sitting in the holster.

Good on the department for making the right call, ignore the Glock rep's advice, and recall the pistols for now.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    Meh, ISP had to send back their new P227's. Not the same problem as the Glock but it was enough that they couldn't use them until it was fixed.

Not looking to argue, but we (ISP) did not send our guns back. Sig exchanged our original mags with new magazines. I was never told what was wrong with them, but I never had a malfunction with either the original or the replacement magazines. I have had a few problems with a 14 round magazine I purchased, but not many.

The 227 is a great gun, but hard to carry off duty.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I sooo wanted one of these, until I saw they had the G4 mag release! Now I has a sad.:(

It looks somewhat rounded. I like the Vicker's Tactical mag releases for the Gen 4's anyway.

I was told that one of the reasons they are doing the switch is to round off the top edges of the slides because some officers had the slides ripped off their guns. The reason cited was because the slides were square on top and easy to grab and twist. I tried it on my 19 and couldn't dislodge it however. ...

You just need to pull harder... ignore any sounds you hear when you do so...

M=modified

That's what I had assumed, but yeah you just Denny'd that.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Word is the spring under the slide lock (the one you hold down to disassemble) is now a coil spring instead of a leaf spring. It is letting the lock work down as the gun is manipulated or rattled around in a holster. The result is the gun is ready to field strip while sitting in the holster.

Good on the department for making the right call, ignore the Glock rep's advice, and recall the pistols for now.
    How is that even possible? Because you have to pull the trigger for the slide to release. I could understand if they draw the weapon and then pull the trigger the slide may come off during dry fire. Also if you fired that round the simple action of the slide chamber another round would lock the slide back up.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Not looking to argue, but we (ISP) did not send our guns back. Sig exchanged our original mags with new magazines. I was never told what was wrong with them, but I never had a malfunction with either the original or the replacement magazines. I have had a few problems with a 14 round magazine I purchased, but not many.

The 227 is a great gun, but hard to carry off duty.
    I thought I was told by an ISP Sgt there was another issue besides the mags. Oh well, either way, my point is that fielding an untested firearm is always a gamble. BTW, I like shooting the 227.

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    They already have had issues with them "breaking" and are sending them back... If anyone can break a new gun - it's metro. LOL

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How is that even possible? Because you have to pull the trigger for the slide to release. I could understand if they draw the weapon and then pull the trigger the slide may come off during dry fire. Also if you fired that round the simple action of the slide chamber another round would lock the slide back up.

I have no idea, but it happened to enough of them and was repeatable enough that it was obviously enough for the range staff and officers involved to issue a recall and send them back to Glock for further evaluation.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    It looks somewhat rounded. I like the Vicker's Tactical mag releases for the Gen 4's anyway.
    I've never had a problem manipulating the old tiny one, that I even grind smaller! Gen4 is as big as a golf ball, and the Vickers, a ping pong ball sized one! I prefer, and can manipulate, under pressure, a Gen3 that has been ground to a smaller nub! Just my :twocents: after many years of Glock "perfection"!(first Glock was a 1988 G19) just sayin'!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

I see. Makes sense now.

Seems (to me) a critical part to change in order to keep cost down so you can keep your vig the same, but that's the gun business.

Good for IMPD, I am speculating that an INGOer(s) was involved, for not letting the grass grow. IMPD likely helped many other departments by taking this approach.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Dang. If the issue is just the little coil spring, hopefully its a quick fix. I would think they could either fit the old style leaf spring back in or a newer version of coil spring with a stiffer spring rate (larger wire diameter). Glad they found the problem now.
    Kinda sucks for me I have a deal worked out to buy a G27 from a friend (his off duty gun) after he is issued the new g17m. I'm not exactly in a rush to get the deal done. I just don't know how long before my wife realizes I have cash set aside for another gun.

Top Bottom