• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    My AR15 came with a folding rear BUIS, and an A2 style fixed front sight, so I have the worst of both worlds :): I'm leaning towards switching out the fixed front sight and gas block, but then I'd want to switch out the hand guard too. And it's not like I would just stop there, so that's a longer term project.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Every single gun I own (well 99%) i buy or build because they are capable of "going to war". That's just a minimum quality threshold that any gun should pass imo.

+1

All my firearms could potentially be used for defense, so I outfit them accordingly. I never run just a red dot that the batteries might fail and make the gun usless at distances past 2ft.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I bought really nice flip-up tritium sights for my 'premium' AR build that I did a few years back.

They're pretty cool, and I don't regret buying them. I had an EOtech on the rifle at the time, and they co-witnessed nicely.

I run an Aimpoint PRO now, and I see little need for backup sights...still have them installed, tho.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I bought really nice flip-up tritium sights for my 'premium' AR build that I did a few years back.

They're pretty cool, and I don't regret buying them. I had an EOtech on the rifle at the time, and they co-witnessed nicely.

I run an Aimpoint PRO now, and I see little need for backup sights...still have them installed, tho.

That's the hope. Kind of like carrying a spare tire. You may never need to use it but when you do you are glad you have it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm leaning towards switching out the fixed front sight and gas block, but then I'd want to switch out the hand guard too. And it's not like I would just stop there, so that's a longer term project.

Oak, this is what's happening to me. First I was just going to replace the fixed stock with a collapsable one. After that I decided I wanted a different lower, then thought I may as well get a matching upper. Then I decided on a matching handguard. Which will lead to optics choices, which was where I thought I was starting,lol.

Fortunately, my barrel, BCG and the rest of the components are good to go.

flnt38

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    personally i have a set of daniel defense fixed sights on my rifle with a aimpoint comp ml 3 2 moa dot in a lower third cowitness mount. i do not worry about lining all three up when shooting and the front sight post does not bother me in the lower third. i can see where absolute cowitness could be in the way. if my dot were to go out a little tighter cheekweld lines the irons up with no issues. your likes may be different from mine but i wanted to be able to transition from dot to irons without having to flip up sights or take the optic off.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    personally i have a set of daniel defense fixed sights on my rifle with a aimpoint comp ml 3 2 moa dot in a lower third cowitness mount. i do not worry about lining all three up when shooting and the front sight post does not bother me in the lower third. i can see where absolute cowitness could be in the way. if my dot were to go out a little tighter cheekweld lines the irons up with no issues. your likes may be different from mine but i wanted to be able to transition from dot to irons without having to flip up sights or take the optic off.

The setup you describe works really well. I liked my DD fixed BUIS when I had a rifle setup that way.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Oak, this is what's happening to me. First I was just going to replace the fixed stock with a collapsable one. After that I decided I wanted a different lower, then thought I may as well get a matching upper. Then I decided on a matching handguard. Which will lead to optics choices, which was where I thought I was starting,lol.

Fortunately, my barrel, BCG and the rest of the components are good to go.
    See, I know what's going to happen. My AR is my first ever AR, and so I bought the best that I could afford on my humble budget, so that I could also get a reasonable rds for it too. Of course I then had to add a front vfg and a light. Now it has a sling. Now I'm looking at a different stock. And a different hand guard. If I'm looking at a new hand guard I really should switch out the gas block and front sight. So that means I need a new front BUIS. Then I'll need a new sling mount for the front of the rifle. And I'm sorta looking at a new muzzle device. And a new trigger might not be a bad idea.

So, I'm starting to think I just should have bought the parts and built my rifle :): But, back then I didn't have the experience or knowledge, so an off the shelf rifle was a good call, and she's been reliable for me.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I don't even buy them. Buy a quality optic and it won't break.

Exactly....
    The Marine Corps learned that irons are much more easily damaged than a quality scope.
    They dont teach irons at basic or 300 series soi for a few years now.
    They haven't bought carry handles or rear rail sights since 2016...

General James Mattis, former commander of the 1st Marine Division, said, “The ACOG mounted on the M16 service rifle has proven to be the biggest improvement in lethality for the Marine infantryman since the introduction of the M1 Garand in World War II.”

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Exactly....
    The Marine Corps learned that irons are much more easily damaged than a quality scope.
    They dont teach irons at basic or 300 series soi for a few years now.
    They haven't bought carry handles or rear rail sights since 2016...

General James Mattis, former commander of the 1st Marine Division, said, “The ACOG mounted on the M16 service rifle has proven to be the biggest improvement in lethality for the Marine infantryman since the introduction of the M1 Garand in World War II.”

If I was part of a squad and had a platoon backing me up, along with the resupply capabilities of the US Marine Corp, I would be less concerned about having back up sights in the event of an optic failure. Unfortunately, I do not have that level of support.

For civilians, it's not even so much a worry about batteries dying or an optic failing in the moment. If SHTF, how difficult will it be to procure a new one? Basic supply chain disruptions can make the prospect of getting one from a retailer difficult. Even if you have a backup at home, who is to say you'll be near your home when it fails.? A backup in the safe is useless if you've been run out of your neighborhood and can't get to it.

Also, it's not just about the optic failing. There are other factors that can make it inoperable. Your rifle could fall off the back of a truck. If you find yourself in an actual gunfight, God forbid, it could get shot and damaged. There many scenarios that would lead one to need backup sights. Why not keep them on the rifle. They weigh basically nothing, and the cost is not so prohibitive that I can't afford to slap some on the gun as an insurance policy.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Ok, I want BUIS for my rifle. I see the need for them, and my rifle is being setup for home defense and SHTF purposes. Having picked up an Aimpoint PRO this weekend, I still want a good pair of BUIS.

I just couldn’t make up my mind if I want folding or fixed.

I look at having BUIS like carrying a gun. Better to have it and not need it VS not having it and needing it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    LM, funny how threads morf, isn’t it? They often drift but there is usually good information and normally the original question does get answered.

I would prefer folding so they are out of the way and less susceptible to damage.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Ok, I want BUIS for my rifle. I see the need for them, and my rifle is being setup for home defense and SHTF purposes. Having picked up an Aimpoint PRO this weekend, I still want a good pair of BUIS.

I just couldn’t make up my mind if I want folding or fixed.

I look at having BUIS like carrying a gun. Better to have it and not need it VS not having it and needing it.

An AimPoint Pro with factory mount works fine with fixed BUIS. I liked the Daniel Defense fixed sights with the AimPoint Pro. But how about not overthinking this, just get a good set of flip ups (Troy, MI, MagPul Pros, etc). Then just leave them up. Now you can have your cake and eat it to.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    An AimPoint Pro with factory mount works fine with fixed BUIS. I liked the Daniel Defense fixed sights with the AimPoint Pro. But how about not overthinking this, just get a good set of flip ups (Troy, MI, MagPul Pros, etc). Then just leave them up. Now you can have your cake and eat it to.

I do like cake!

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Folding sights. I use Magpul MBUS Pro steel flip-up sights on my ARs. If you have fixed iron sights, what's the point of an optic? Co-witness is too cluttered up, I want a good dot/reticle OR a good iron sight picture, not both at the same time.

I've got one AR with only Troy fixed sights with an HK style front with luminescent vertical stripe, no electronic optic. Kind of a backup carbine, I don't see a reason to put an optic on it. The only way I'd put an optic on a gun with fixed sights is maybe with a scope above the iron sight plane on a quick-detach mount for use in case of emergency. Even lower 1/3 co-witness is annoying to me.

Top Bottom