• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If I was part of a squad and had a platoon backing me up, along with the resupply capabilities of the US Marine Corp, I would be less concerned about having back up sights in the event of an optic failure. Unfortunately, I do not have that level of support.

For civilians, it's not even so much a worry about batteries dying or an optic failing in the moment. If SHTF, how difficult will it be to procure a new one? Basic supply chain disruptions can make the prospect of getting one from a retailer difficult. Even if you have a backup at home, who is to say you'll be near your home when it fails.? A backup in the safe is useless if you've been run out of your neighborhood and can't get to it.

Also, it's not just about the optic failing. There are other factors that can make it inoperable. Your rifle could fall off the back of a truck. If you find yourself in an actual gunfight, God forbid, it could get shot and damaged. There many scenarios that would lead one to need backup sights. Why not keep them on the rifle. They weigh basically nothing, and the cost is not so prohibitive that I can't afford to slap some on the gun as an insurance policy.
    This is it right here! +1
    I hope we never get to that point in this country but it's not looking good.
    A spare bolt and grease is another great thing to keep in your grip or stock compartments. And a mini snickers bar so you dont turn into rosie o'donnell;)

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Ok, I want BUIS for my rifle. I see the need for them, and my rifle is being setup for home defense and SHTF purposes. Having picked up an Aimpoint PRO this weekend, I still want a good pair of BUIS.

I just couldn’t make up my mind if I want folding or fixed.

I look at having BUIS like carrying a gun. Better to have it and not need it VS not having it and needing it.

I like the Strike Industries Sidewinder II back up sights. They can co witness or be 45 offset. You can try both and see what you prefer.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    If I was part of a squad and had a platoon backing me up, along with the resupply capabilities of the US Marine Corp, I would be less concerned about having back up sights in the event of an optic failure. Unfortunately, I do not have that level of support.

For civilians, it's not even so much a worry about batteries dying or an optic failing in the moment. If SHTF, how difficult will it be to procure a new one? Basic supply chain disruptions can make the prospect of getting one from a retailer difficult. Even if you have a backup at home, who is to say you'll be near your home when it fails.? A backup in the safe is useless if you've been run out of your neighborhood and can't get to it.

Also, it's not just about the optic failing. There are other factors that can make it inoperable. Your rifle could fall off the back of a truck. If you find yourself in an actual gunfight, God forbid, it could get shot and damaged. There many scenarios that would lead one to need backup sights. Why not keep them on the rifle. They weigh basically nothing, and the cost is not so prohibitive that I can't afford to slap some on the gun as an insurance policy.
    ^^^THIS^^^

IMO some kind of optic sight with illuminated reticle is "plan A" since trouble usually happens in low light but Murphy's law hasn't been repealed and anything you plan on having for defense should have BUIS.

I have a fixed FSB on my rifle and it's cowitnessed and doesn't bother me. I like having a folding rear BUS to keep things from getting too busy. As for a front BUS, if it folds, I think it should be attached to the gas block instead of the hand guard. The purpose of a free floated barrel is that it's unaffected by whatever vectors you put on the handguard, so if the sight is on the hand guard, you're planning to miss

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I prefer to leave a set of BUIS on any firearm outfitted with a red dot.

That way, if I have to replace the red dot with something else I can quickly register the new dot into place using the BUIS.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

Buy excellent equipment and one doesn't need to carry excess backups and unnecessary gear...
    Ounces turn into pounds and pounds slow one down...
    Ruckup with all your gear and head out for a simple 5k jog/walk.... And you will learn to dump whats not needed.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Because backup sights are SOOOOOO heavy.

:rolleyes:

For real weight savings, my tax-free SBA3 pistol brace is good piece of kit that allows me to carry a shorter, lighter weight weapon with enhanced shootability. Nice to have when my carpal tunnel syndrome is acting up.

:)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Folding sights. I use Magpul MBUS Pro steel flip-up sights on my ARs. If you have fixed iron sights, what's the point of an optic? Co-witness is too cluttered up, I want a good dot/reticle OR a good iron sight picture, not both at the same time.

I've got one AR with only Troy fixed sights with an HK style front with luminescent vertical stripe, no electronic optic. Kind of a backup carbine, I don't see a reason to put an optic on it. The only way I'd put an optic on a gun with fixed sights is maybe with a scope above the iron sight plane on a quick-detach mount for use in case of emergency. Even lower 1/3 co-witness is annoying to me.

I know I am in the minority here but I liked my carbine with DD fixed sights and AimPoint. I installed a Trijicon front sight post and same plane rear aperture. Just pickup the carbine and everything worked. Look over the sights and dot was there. Look through the sight and dot was there. Dot not turned on sights were there. Going from a dark room into the sunlight and sights were there. Everything was just there. I ended up trading that rifle to a friend. It was not because it didn’t work.

A person can do the same thing with a quality set of flip ups. Just leave the sights in the up position.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I know I am in the minority here but I liked my carbine with DD fixed sights and AimPoint. I installed a Trijicon front sight post and same plane rear aperture. Just pickup the carbine and everything worked. Look over the sights and dot was there. Look through the sight and dot was there. Dot not turned on sights were there. Going from a dark room into the sunlight and sights were there. Everything was just there. I ended up trading that rifle to a friend. It was not because it didn’t work.

A person can do the same thing with a quality set of flip ups. Just leave the sights in the up position.

Vert, are these the fixed DD sights you use: AR-15 Iron Sight Set (Rock & Lock)?

And does your Aimpoint sit on a riser? If I replace my LVPO with a rds, I want it tall enough that I don't have to scrunch my head down so far. In my mind it seems like the optic would be tall enough so I wouldn't have to and irons I may have to lower my head probably to where I do now with the current set up.

The offset irons are a possibility. They do look cool and flipping rifle is impressive and all that, but I would think keeping it in the same orientation would be best.

[h=1][/h]

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Vert, are these the fixed DD sights you use: AR-15 Iron Sight Set (Rock & Lock)

When I had that carbine the front sight was a fixed And part of the gas block. The rear sight was a Daniel Defense fixed BUIS. AimPoint Pro was the factory mount in basically a 1/3 cowitness.

And does your Aimpoint sit on a riser? If I replace my LVPO with a rds, I want it tall enough that I don't have to scrunch my head down so far. In my mind it seems like the optic would be tall enough so I wouldn't have to and irons I may have to lower my head probably to where I do now with the current set up.

Red Dot will need to be on a riser. The factory AimPoint riser works fine, just make sure everything is tight. Most red dots come with a riser.

The offset irons are a possibility. They do look cool and flipping rifle is impressive and all that, but I would think keeping it in the same orientation would be best.

The offset BUIS work fine. They would be my choice if I had a scoped rifle. I thought about setting up some sort of multi purpose AR with low power scope and adding the offset sights. I ended up going a different route.

There is really no right or wrong here, just what works for you. Regardless my personal feeling is that actual working guns should have some sort of iron sights or at the very least not require batteries. I don’t think you need to break the bank either, polymer MBUS along with an affordable Chinese red dot (Riton, Vortex, Sig Romeo, Holosun) will serve most people well.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Vert, are these the fixed DD sights you use: AR-15 Iron Sight Set (Rock & Lock)

When I had that carbine the front sight was a fixed And part of the gas block. The rear sight was a Daniel Defense fixed BUIS. AimPoint Pro was the factory mount in basically a 1/3 cowitness.

Red Dot will need to be on a riser. The factory AimPoint riser works fine, just make sure everything is tight. Most red dots come with a riser.

The offset BUIS work fine. They would be my choice if I had a scoped rifle. I thought about setting up some sort of multi purpose AR with low power scope and adding the offset sights. I ended up going a different route.

There is really no right or wrong here, just what works for you. Regardless my personal feeling is that actual working guns should have some sort of iron sights or at the very least not require batteries. I don’t think you need to break the bank either, polymer MBUS along with an affordable Chinese red dot (Riton, Vortex, Sig Romeo, Holosun) will serve most people well.

Thanks. I'm putting too much thought into this right now. Once I decide if I'm going to move from the LVPO to the dot, I'll pick my dot and THEN decide on back up sights. :)

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Thanks. I'm putting too much thought into this right now. Once I decide if I'm going to move from the LVPO to the dot, I'll pick my dot and THEN decide on back up sights. :)

Its hard to keep up with happenings in these types o threads. I had to look back. But seems you have a Leupold 1-4 scope. I can’t see your rifle but my guess is leave it alone and mount a set of 45 offset sights. Problem solved, keep it simple. A carbine needs a good trigger, a good set of sights, a sling and if possible a light. Everything else is just cosmetic or ergonomic, not that there is anything wrong with looking awesome.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Its hard to keep up with happenings in these types o threads. I had to look back. But seems you have a Leupold 1-4 scope. I can’t see your rifle but my guess is leave it alone and mount a set of 45 offset sights. Problem solved, keep it simple. A carbine needs a good trigger, a good set of sights, a sling and if possible a light. Everything else is just cosmetic or ergonomic, not that there is anything wrong with looking awesome.

It's a decent rifle and I'm in the process of upgrading the upper, lower and handguard. I have an okay enough barrel and a good trigger. The upper and lower were Anderson and the handguard UTG. Fine for plinking which was my original intent but now I want something more SHTF. I also swapped out the fixed stock for a B5 SOPMOD unit and added a nice sling.

I might just follow your advice. I was thinking by swapping the optic I have for a dot, I'd pick up a few bucks on the exchange, reduce the weight and possibly gain faster target acquisition. But I would possibly lose some longer range capability.

Good thing I'm working on optimizing my pistols for me right now and the upper I want is on backorder!:)

Top Bottom