• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dan1856

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2017
    Fishers
    Folding is the way to go. I use the magpul folding BUIS on a couple of ARs. I have a 9mm AR that I use in Steel Challenge. With the setup I can shoot both PCC Optic and PCC Iron, just remove the red dot and I can shoot iron sights.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    A couple sets from a machine shop. Last time I looked, they were no longer listed. And I think I looked at Troy as being pretty much identical.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Make sure you have a backup sighting system. Doesn’t have to be either. 45 sights, 45 red dot, side laser, QD and understand how to engage out to 100 on a flat rail. Just think through contingencies and you’ll be fine.

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I've gotten away from fixed sights with the exception of a M16a4 clone that still has a carry handle.

I used to be a huge fan of the Daniel Defense fixed set, but I saw a drop test where the Magpul BUIS set actually took a fall from 4' onto concrete better than the DD set. The plastic seemed to absorb the impact and not bend like the aluminum.

Now, if you must have fixed sights, the old LMT steel ones were darn near bulletproof.

FWIW, I think if you go with an etched reticle and quality scope you can skip the irons, especially on a secondary rifle. If you are battery dependent, I think you should probably toss a set of Magpul BUIS on there. They weigh almost nothing and can be found cheap.

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Folding steel sights. I bought one set of Magpull and wasn't impressed.

I have the Magpul metal ones and like them (the offset version). My only reservation with them is they don't lock open like the Troy, but the detent is pretty strong and their quality is good. They are also far more low profile when folded than the offset Troys. I was leery about trying them since I normally don't stray from the Troy BUIS, but after putting them through their paces I can say that I'd buy them again.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I use folders on my rifles with a standard variable optic. I only have red dots on my AR pistols and have a few with folding sights and a few with fixed. I don't have a problem with the fixed being in view of the fixed sights. I have both lower 1/3 and absolute co-witness. Either way does not bother me.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I have the Magpul metal ones and like them (the offset version). My only reservation with them is they don't lock open like the Troy, but the detent is pretty strong and their quality is good. They are also far more low profile when folded than the offset Troys. I was leery about trying them since I normally don't stray from the Troy BUIS, but after putting them through their paces I can say that I'd buy them again.

I've got Magpul Pro MBUS (steel) as backup sights and really like them. They are a lot less bulky than the Troy flip-ups. I like the fact that the front sight is adjustable for elevation without a tool.

Not a fan of the polymer Magpul MBUS, although they would likely do in a pinch. Worth the extra money for the steel ones to me, for the reduced bulk and better durability.

Top Bottom