• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The legislature did get HP rifle passed and did screw up in doing so. They got it to pass based on "limits".
    Initially, they called out 5 cartridges.........but did not list them by specific name.
    That then opened the door to more cartridges (based on the two calibers of the initial list )

So this yr they straightend that up.
    And somebody in the DNR took a line from that and claimed PCR was off the table for public land.

IMHO they are wrong. The lawmaker politely took one on the chin, accepted blame.........and restated that PCR removal from
    public was NEVER the intent.

The legislature screwed up last yr, not this yr.

The DNR interpretation is not honorable.

Last edited:

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    no such thang as high-powered rifles............................
    language does matter, except of course when you are trying to create a "niche" of retarded hunters debating something called pistol center-fire.

Bottom line:

HUNTING FOR DEER INDIANA: legal weapons: center-fire rifles larger than .22 caliber.

Public lands or private lands?

WHY is there such a fierce desire to keep Rifles away from deer hunters on public land?

Huh, hunters on public lands are too stupid to use such weapons?????????/

maybe? but they sure don't know how to complain to the right people to fix it.

P.S. Game commissions in western states have the power to end seasons on limited "sheep" tags by simple public notice.

IDNR, can't find their way home after work LOL..........just a joke for those who take offence, I am sorry.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Maybe some hunters on public land are too stupid to be trusted to use a HP rifle............heck, most of them can't seem to understand how a law came about or what it means.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Folks who are stuck on technical terms from Indiana hunt guide such as: "high-powered Rifles" as distinct from "center-fire" Rifles amuse me...................ha,
    You know what amuses me? People that are so dense that even when others, smarter than them, try to educate them and still can't seem to get through to them.

The state, through legal code and administrative rules has chosen to break down centerfire cartridges into smaller sub-groups through well-known definitions. Your refusal to accept those definitions doesn't make them go away, or make them mean something different. They are legal definitions and therefore you must adhere to them. What part of this are you struggling with?

And somebody in the DNR took a line from that and claimed PCR was off the table for public land.
    The problem is that there is NO IC that dictates PCRs are legal on public property, that was previously a NRC decisions through administrative rules. IC trumps administrative rules, so when new IC is written that does not distinguish between "pistol caliber rifles" (as termed by NRC) and "rifles" (as written in the Indiana Code), but fails to define what "rifle" means in that specific section of code NRC/DNR must defer to the definition of a "rifle" elsewhere in the code. Rifle, as defined elsewhere, encompasses the PCRs previously allowed by NRC admin rules. And therefore, the code, intended to permit high-power rifles on private property, inadvertently prohibits rifles on public property, without distinguishing a difference between the PCR and "rifle".

IMHO they are wrong. The lawmaker politely took one on the chin, accepted blame.........and restated that PCR removal from
    public was NEVER the intent.
    I think this is where you're wrong. Typically, intent of a law, regardless of how it is written, is something that is decided in court. While individual officer discretion can be used to decide on citing a person, when giving general guidelines to and entire department of LE, there is less room for discretion. As I said earlier, the DNR could have chose to go with intent, but they decided to take the more conservative approach and go with "as written" and let the officer discretion and courts figure it out. That may sound like a terrible way of doing it, and it may get a lot of people butt-hurt, but it's also the best approach from a strictly legalistic point of view. It's covering the bottom of everybody involved with the hope that if a person is charged, the courts will take the law as intended.

The legislature screwed up last yr, not this yr.
    You're correct, they screwed up last year and DNR is just now figuring it out...
    Maybe some hunters on public land are too stupid to be trusted to use a HP rifle............heck, most of them can't seem to understand how a law came about or what it means.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    what I failed to understand is they can restrict the caliber you can use on private land? So if i owned 100 acres and went out hunting i couldnt use any caliber i wanted? is DNR really going to show up on my land and try to enforce caliber restrictions?

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    what I failed to understand is they can restrict the caliber you can use on private land? So if i owned 100 acres and went out hunting i couldnt use any caliber i wanted? is DNR really going to show up on my land and try to enforce caliber restrictions?

Yes, they can and do. That is why we are having this debate. Prior to the PCR's being allowed, we could only use shotguns, Muzzle-loaders and certain handguns, whether on Public or Private Land.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009

Here he goes again...claiming that hunters are going to aim for the brown spot 1000 yards away....

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast

Piggyback off of Hawkeye, I was equipment checked 2 years in a row deep into a private property. When I was a kid they used to check the wound for consistency with the reported weapon at the check in station. I saw nothing of the sort last year, my first year hunting back in Indiana, but the online deer check in did have me report the weapon type, caliber, and location of harvest. I wouldn't chance hunting with a caliber outside of the regulations on any property. Conservation Officers in my area also like to hit people with littering fines for just being near debris that was obviously not brought in by the person in question. I'm not a jerk to any LEO, but I've never met a C/O in the field that was even borderline polite in Indiana. This powerhungry mentality may have changed as I have not dealt with one in probably 8 years, but I don't trust any C/O to make a judgement call in favor of the hunter. Ignorance is not a defense and leniency is not in the IDNR C/O playbook.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    again showing my ignorance, but if i was on my own property, and took down a deer, why would i report it? Why not just drag it home, process and eat it. Move on with my life......

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I've never been sold on the cutting down of cartridges to 1.8" . The gun is still capable of shooting the correct cartridge .

Conservation Officers carry a "gauge" which specifically measure 1.8 inches just like they carry a magnet to detect "steel (iron)" shotshells which are legal for waterfowl.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel

If a neighbor who is not "pleased" with you or someone you brag to about using a "prohibited" gun call the IDNR TIP line YOU will soon learn how much power IDNR conservation officers have with respect to search & seizure.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    again showing my ignorance, but if i was on my own property, and took down a deer, why would i report it? Why not just drag it home, process and eat it. Move on with my life......

it's called "fair chase" and is beyond the legal area..........................................but that's why I would rather PROTEST and burn my licenses than comply................................

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    By the way.............I have great respect for INDIANA Conservation Officers.
    They are hard-working honest sportsman just like us.
    They love their work and can add a lot of great information for you.
    A conservation officer who was part of Hunter Education class that my young daughter and I were taking actually took time and "read" the exam questions to her.

He also recommended a great spot to hunt ducks. I ran into him again because of a neighbor dispute when I was hunting waterfowl on a pond where I had permission but my dog retrieved a goose on adjacent land. The incident went very well without any trouble.

Conservation Officers are professionals. Repect them, respect the law and the experience will be rewarding for all.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Conservation Officers carry a "gauge" which specifically measure 1.8 inches just like they carry a magnet to detect "steel (iron)" shotshells which are legal for waterfowl.

Yeah, the gauge used to be a yellow index card with a "go, no go" graphic on it.
    Had a CO hassle a guy w legal length case. Card was wrong.
    Green pants never had the idea to actually measure the card's graphic before use.
    CO runs issue past superiors, comes back and says he now carries a dial caliper.
    I suggested he have it certified by his dept's metrology office.
    He said he didn't need to.
    Whatever.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Non toxic shot is also mandated for dove on F&W areas.
    Magnet aint gonna pick up bismuth though.
    Hopefully you do realize that some of us have been at this stuff a while and don't need the spoon feed.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    Non toxic shot is also mandated for dove on F&W areas.
    Magnet aint gonna pick up bismuth though.
    Hopefully you do realize that some of us have been at this stuff a while and don't need the spoon feed.

Yep, steel shot size 7 & 6 is $5.99 at Wally world and when I dove hunt my "aim" ain't good enough to use bismuth at about $3 or $4 bucks a toss.
    Track of the Wolf.com has brass shotshells that you can reload without tools and recommend that if you use bismuth shot to carry the label with you for such occasions.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    BTW, the kiss arse CO post was a bit much.
    Evidently you haven't met all the states current and or former CO's.
    They're people just like us........and some of them aint cool.
    Most are... thankfully.
    Granted, I'm not up on Catholicism, but I don't think one joins the DNR on way to becoming a saint.

Top Bottom