• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    I should have known that some great pics would show up in this thread and tempt to break my "no more busses until you move into your new house" rule.

GReat pics paddling man

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Platinum Member

Actually, Jerry won't mind. How's this for an INFI testimonial!

A buddy-o-mine is on his local PD Tac Team. The AI (After Incident) investigation is over and the story is now clear to be discussed.

During dynamic entry training he was accidently smacked by one of his team members with a .40, close range. Get this.....he was wearing his favorite Busse (old Badger 5/16") John Wayne Green Beret Style inverted on his vest in an Okuden rig. The .40 smacked the Busse and Okuden Sheath dead center of the blade profile. Ready for the finale.........

The sheath is cracked and I think has a hole from the last time I saw it, but the Badger sustained only slight coating removal, PERIOD!

Probably saved his life (I forgot to ask if he had his armor on), that is rest of the story Paul Harvey and it definitely taint no BS. Can anyone truly love their Busse as much as he must?

I'll get in touch with him and get a pic. He is not a forumite. Just one of the many who specifically demanded an Okuden rig for his biggest knife investment. What a Busse payback eh!

Out.

attachment.php

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    And this was from the 1500, late summer of '05.

All Busse. (edit when I came back for a pic link. The one on the far right is a Swamp Rat Ratweiler. Geez. My mouth got away from me. ;))

can-o-whupa2.jpg

can-o-whupa1.jpg

There are knives and there are knives. I do carry folding slicers. If it is a big fixed blade, I better be able to pry a car door off with it. :)

Last edited:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I should have known that some great pics would show up in this thread and tempt to break my "no more busses until you move into your new house" rule.

GReat pics paddling man

Next stop, Blade 2009, Substance-P. :yesway:

Cliff Stamp... he was a regular BFC with a science (or pseudo-science) rap before he was banned because he "didn't play well with others."

Knife Review : straight handled Battle Mistress from Busse Combat

Knife review : Ratweiler from Swamp Rat Knives

www.knifetests.com Home

Last edited:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Hey! I remember seeing those Morseth kit knives! I bet he got it from AG Russell! They were all A2 steel before WWI but, unless you Dad got the kit when he was REALLY young, I'm assuming this is one of the laminated ( high carbon hard layer and soft iron layer with) imported by Brusletto? Brusletto stopped making laminated steel years because it was found to be too brittle and the failure rate was high.

Like I said, if it's good enough for you, that's awesome. Being from your Father, it's something that should be given to your kids one day. :yesway:

If you own and appreciate blades based on owning some "decent samurai swords" and cooking knives, you should really try to get to the annual Blade Show in Atlanta : it is the Shot Show for bladecraft. You could meet Paul Chen in person. :D

If you ever want to test drive a Busse, let me know. We may be able to work out a schedule. :D

A couple of light work knives.
    IMG_0955.jpg

A David Wesner along with a Busse.
    wesnerandhh.jpg

Another of my Wesner in A2
    PA300399E.jpg

P1200210.jpg

Probably you're best bet for a walk thru with this one!
    HH2.jpg

HH1.jpg

Swamp Rat, actually here.
    ratdaddylefromdick.jpg

A little light batoning...
    wood.jpg

Here are some leftover Brusletto kits - what the Morseth kits actually used - thought you might be interested. It could be a fun project for you and the kids.

The steel Pop got, not kits (The hilt was a part from a RCA record player and the handle wood came out of split firewood from our farm in TN.) (he would tell you the story for hours) was a batch of only 12 blanks that was found buried in a warehouse somewhere from many many years ago. I do not remember the dates, the way he would tell the story about where this steel came from took hours, how they were part of specially ordered and tempered lot that got over looked or never got picked up or something like that, honestly I got tired of listening to it to tell the truth, he would literally talk about it for hours. What I do know is that there was something exceptionally special about these 12 blanks. He only made 12 knives using these blanks before he passed away. My brothers and I each got one knife and mom still has the rest. If you know something about this magic steel as pop made it out to be I would be curious to hear about it. I do know this I have used this knife a lot over the years and have never had to sharpen it. It will still shave the hair off your arm....

Last edited:

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    I always appreciate a good blade.
    However, If I spent that kind of money on a knife, I would be afraid to use it and risk losing it in the field.

I think I will continue to use my home built blades.
    They are made from heavy duty saw blades and I got plenty more I can build if I lose/break one.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Smart man. Very, very smart man. ;)

You might want to slide over to the Scrap Yard site. They just released a mid-sized last night. Resiprene-C mudder grips and SR101 like your SR. Good price and a great bladed based on the old discontinued Swamp Rat Bog Dog.

What combo did you buy in the NMSFNO?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    olive drab with black micarta handle. and I must be reading your mind because I was looking at scrapyards before I read your post and pondering the street scrapper 4 in INFI steel:rockwoot:

edit the only one I see with mudder grips is the street scrapper and scrap muk, which knife are you suggesting again?

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    1) - good choice. The OD wears well. Mag or standard grips? If you want top check out the difference I can bring examples of both and meet you. There is always a chance to change your order if you do it quickly. Amy (Amy-0) is really great that way. ;)

2) - INFI - S4. You'll have to work hard to find one. It was the second release from SYKWs almost three years ago and they sold out in about 20 minutes. I bought two and sold one later. The remaining is just too darned useful. They go for $175 - $250 in the secondary market now.

The one SYKW has right now is the Scrapper 5.

S5BrnBrn.jpg

It was a redux of the Swamp Rat Bog Dog... the one pictured on the bottom. FYI - The Street Scrapper 4 (S4 or SS4) in INFI is pictured above it.
    BandicootStreetScrapperBogDog.jpg

Final trivia for you: The SS4 blade shape is a redux of the Busse Meaner Streets profile.

two-mrs-1-hi.jpg

Last edited:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    1. couldn't tell you for sure but I think magnum handle.

2. I'm stupid and just now looked at the knives that are actually in stock at scrapyard, which sucks because now I'm sad I can't get the sc4. I wanted a smaller 4" knife and busses are too much $$$ IMO at that size so that was a great find, I thought. if you hear of one let me know. I'm on blade forum right now too. I have never actually posted so I'm kinda iffy about trying to buy on there.

edit: and another thing I've looked everywhere and can't find any info on the nuclear meltdown treatment, I know it's good but thats all please enlighten me.:bowdown:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    I have never actually posted so I'm kinda iffy about trying to buy on there.

Lots of folks there and occasionally folks do get taken. Very, very rarely on the Busse sub-forum exchange. If you are interested in one the the sub-forum exchange, let me know who the seller is... very few are bad apples or even folks who get their panties in a wad. You should be able to be with impunity.

We ban pretty liberally over there for shenanigans. :ar15:

Hey, what is your sign-on?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Lots of folks there and occasionally folks do get taken. Very, very rarely on the Busse sub-forum exchange. If you are interested in one the the sub-forum exchange, let me know who the seller is... very few are bad apples or even folks who get their panties in a wad. You should be able to be with impunity.

We ban pretty liberally over there for shenanigans. :ar15:

well iffy in the sense that they won't want to sell to me.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Pop used to talk a lot about the original Bowie knife. He said it didn't actually look much like the copy's you see today that it was shaped more like a kitchen knife. He also said what made the knives so strong was the steel that was used to make them. He told me they used the broken bands off of wagon wheels and that the steel was hard tempered from thousands of miles of cold hammering in the form of rolling over rocks and such on the long trail to the west...Just a tid bit that came to mind I don't really know if this is fact or not sometimes pop liked to screw with people and sometimes it was hard to tell when he was bullshitting lol....

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Anything is possible; that even sounds likely.

Indians do a GREAT job with khukuris out of old truck leaf springs. Cheap steel, but springy and pretty decent as a hard use, big blade.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Anything is possible; that even sounds likely.

Indians do a GREAT job with khukuris out of old truck leaf springs. Cheap steel, but springy and pretty decent as a hard use, big blade.

My uncle in Brown County used to make knives out of those. When Pop got that special steel Elmer showed him the basics while making his knives from leaf springs. After pop was done Elmer was like **** Glen just keep makin them with this stuff pop acted like he had been mortally wounded or insulted lol he never made another knife after the 12... Pop was hard ass about some things. :D

Top Bottom