• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Is there a place local that sells these knives? Indianapolis-area?

Thanks!

paddling_man (Fishers) has put several up for sale here in the past. I'd check with him before you do anything.

They have a presence at the Indy 1500 shows.

Then their forum over at Blade Forums would be your next stop.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Is there a place local that sells these knives? Indianapolis-area?

Thanks!

your best bet for anything local is the 1500 or just average owners selling them online. but the chances of local aren't great. your real best bet is blade forum or the busse store. check the first page for the links.

Last edited:

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    I have been hanging around Fort wayne's knife store Grindstone Cutlery for about 4 years now, and I have seen alot of busses come and go through mike's door, I rarley see one that catches my eyes, and to date only one one scrapyard knive. they violate every principle of a preformance knife, heavy, thick, and big. In general I don't like them. they may be tough, but I want a sharp knife, and alot of the time the swiss army farmer in my pocket can out cut most busse's

but I use a knfe the way it was made to be used, and pick up a hammer, axe, or saw when needed. But if you want one knife to take to the woods with you that you can beeat the hell out of, Busse is your knife. It can be used in place of a small axe, it can is a nearly industructable piece of steel so you can baton it through a cinder block if you need to. they are too thick to be sharp for long, and even when sharpened to the point of being able to shave they don't preform as well as other knives as far as cutting is concerned. the mantra with knives is thin=sharp. Now if you feel the need to own abusse great, I'd rather buy another glock. but the best thing you can do for it is find a guy that can sharpen, and get the edge laid back and ground to a convex edge, this makes it like an axe head and when chopping or cutting it will work better, and stay sharper longer. also get past the tactical cardboard for a sheath, I reccomend Mike billman at grindstone cutlery in fort wayne, but if you know someone better let me know I also look for the best and recomend them.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    paddling_man (Fishers) has put several up for sale here in the past. I'd check with him before you do anything.

They have a presence at the Indy 1500 shows.

Then their forum over at Blade Forums would be your next stop.

take adrive to fort wayne sometime and talk to mike billman at grindstone cutlery, he has rotating inventory, but it will give you the chance to see and hold one, plus you can look at his sheath work.

Glocker B-58

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Get a monster piece of steel, like an Ontario TAK or RTAK, make it the sharpest, and know you will have more knife than you can ever need.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I have been hanging around Fort wayne's knife store Grindstone Cutlery for about 4 years now, and I have seen alot of busses come and go through mike's door, I rarley see one that catches my eyes, and to date only one one scrapyard knive. they violate every principle of a preformance knife, heavy, thick, and big. In general I don't like them. they may be tough, but I want a sharp knife, and alot of the time the swiss army farmer in my pocket can out cut most busse's

but I use a knife the way it was made to be used, and pick up a hammer, axe, or saw when needed. But if you want one knife to take to the woods with you that you can beat the hell out of, Busse is your knife. It can be used in place of a small axe, it can is a nearly industructable piece of steel so you can baton it through a cinder block if you need to. they are too thick to be sharp for long, and even when sharpened to the point of being able to shave they don't preform as well as other knives as far as cutting is concerned. the mantra with knives is thin=sharp. Now if you feel the need to own abusse great, I'd rather buy another glock. but the best thing you can do for it is find a guy that can sharpen, and get the edge laid back and ground to a convex edge, this makes it like an axe head and when chopping or cutting it will work better, and stay sharper longer. also get past the tactical cardboard for a sheath, I reccomend Mike billman at grindstone cutlery in fort wayne, but if you know someone better let me know I also look for the best and recomend them.

OMG! you must be huffing glue! what type of cutting are you trying to say busses won't do that swiss army knives will? what is your idea of a "performance" knife?

Glocker B-58

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Utility as Perfection

full disclosure: I own a couple cold steel outdoor utility knives and like them.

:):Cold Steel makes great machettes, and knives for wanna-be ninjas who don't recognize the development of firearms.
    Anyone who shoots himself doesn't need a Glock to be stupid. Blaming the gun is why the NRA spends so many millions protecting Constitutionally gauranteed rights.
    Any person who cannot safely handle a Glock shouldn't be left to breathe without medical monitoring.:patriot:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    :):Cold Steel makes great machettes, and knives for wanna-be ninjas who don't recognize the development of firearms.
    Anyone who shoots himself doesn't need a Glock to be stupid. Blaming the gun is why the NRA spends so many millions protecting Constitutionally gauranteed rights.
    Any person who cannot safely handle a Glock shouldn't be left to breathe without medical monitoring.:patriot:

this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.:dunno:

Glocker B-58

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.:dunno:
    Great. The Glock references are regards
    "if obama had a gun it would be a glock because it's just like him, not born in the USA and people blindly follow it no matter how many times they shoot themselves in the foot."
    Sorry, this conjures every argument that blames the firearm. To repeat the NRA mantra, "guns don't kill people..." and etc.
    This statement is counterintuitive, in that the gun (Glock) is much smarter than those who own one (or more), and are thus responsible for self-inflicted injuries. You can't have it both ways.
    As for knives, a big-steel knife has all the components of a utilitarian survival knife. Too much money is being spent on very beautiful tactical knives with features most people will never use. Most of us are not knife fighters. Those of us that are would never spend $100 on a knife.
    Maybe we shouldn't, either.
    Hope this is more sensical.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    They can make some stout blades! ;)

For those unfamiliar, this is a debate that has continued ad nauseum on Bladeforums for over a decade. The debate between the houses of belief that a one-tool-does-all (“hard use”) blade is their temple and the opposite side who are of the Mora / SAK (swiss army knife) camp.

Jeremiah’s stance, which isn’t uncommon or wrong – just different, is that a knife should be a knife… as they traditionally see one. A small slicer. Ie., will cut soft or fine material expediently with little resistance but cannot handle any torque without snapping. The “performance” crowd of that group – not Grandpa with the slipjoint – typically subscribe to a scandi grind. They also carry an axe… (I’ll ignore the fun opening of an “axe to grind.” ;)) The oft repeated phrase of “I’ll use the right tool for the job” certainly has some merit.

The reverse of this are the folks who subscribe to the “hard use” knife category. Busse folks aren’t alone in this… many, many fall into this group like Fehman, Becker, TOPS, etc. The argument for those of the “hard use church” follows something like this: A blade with enough strength and resiliency to do double or triple duty. Chopper, prybar, hammer – whatever life throws at you – without fear of being in a remote location and your tool catastrophically failing. I fall within this group. Folks in this group also carry a secondary small blade or folder for fine slicing.

No right way or wrong way… just a different way to get the job done. I feel that some of my big blades, while not fine slicers, will do every other job: pry, chop, split wood, etc.. It can slice in a pinch – it just doesn’t excel there. I went this way because I feel that small blades (and I won’t be carrying an axe, prybar, hammer, et cetera in the woods) can fine slice but, even in a pinch, can’t perform the role of a big blade.

• For the record, my thickest Busse is .320”… my thinnest? .123”. They do make fine slicers and ultra sharp convex blades too. It’s just not what is often seen or spoken of.
    • If you are looking for a Busse, stick to direct-from-the-shop or secondary market individual. There are no “dealers,” other than the Company Store, all others are direct as I detailed in the link. If you buy from a knife shop, they either paid the same thing as you – the individual – or bought second hand as well. Again, no "authorized dealers."
    • Busse stopped including sheaths sometime ago due to customer preference. If you're looking for leather for your Busse, check ArmorAllLeather (Dwayne) or Kenny Rowe. Both are recognized to be some of the best in the industry. Alternately, Chuddy Bear has been putting out great work at an awesome price. For kydex, consider Okuden or Buy Brown.

I'm not trying to "sell" these blades. Sure, I've had some on the exchange here but I dropped them on INGO as an afterthought. I changed some direction in the collection and move some... all were actually sold on Bladeforums along with some customs from other manufacturers.

I never planned or expected to be the ambassador for Busse on this forum. I'm hear to talk firearms. All of the discussion thus far is sorta "been there, done that" on BFC. Still, Josh asked these questions (moved from the sale thread where it's appropriateness was suspect) and over here.

If you are interested and want more info, ask. The market is small for expensive knives of any manufacturer/guildsmith and the current economy makes it even worse. I won't trash your decision to carry/use any specific type of blade or gun. However, blanket statements of "absolute truths" are typically never true.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    OMG! you must be huffing glue! what type of cutting are you trying to say busses won't do that swiss army knives will? what is your idea of a "performance" knife?

My idea of a preformance knive is a falkniven, chris reeve, AL Mar, FArid, Microtech, Spyderco, Condor, Boyle, and Kellam come to mind.

the victornox farmer does a considereably better job with fine detail work. Things like stripping bark, making traps, cutting rope, other detail work. BUsse's tend to be too thick, too big, and too long to do much of this work. the thing with a busse it it only really preforms when choping. and a preoperly sharpened machete or ax do a better job. somtime we need to go out the the woods and play, I'm sure I can make you a believer.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I am certainly not going to get into a debate about the quality of the knives, as many here have used them and I have not. They sound like a fine tool and I would love to own one.

I will say that if the steel described in the INFI page on Busse's website existed, and it does not, the creator could retire in a life of luxury because there would be 100s if not 1000s of industries willing to shell out large quantities of money for it. A steel like that would revolutionize the way things are built.

There can be no material that has everything. If you want high hardness, you generally give up impact resistance (it becomes more brittle). If something is 62HRC, it cannot bend to 35 degrees at point of bend and spring back, especially while being corrosion resistant and able to hold an edge.

What better material would there be to build a bridge out of? A hard, corrosion resistant, flexible, tough steel would solve so many problems. The only steel that is even remotely capable of some of these properties are the very experimental and exotic amorphous steels, and even these act like glass if you hit them.

I really don't mean this in a snide or condescending way. Just don't believe everything you read. If the knife meets your criteria and you are happy with it, or you trust reviews of it, then fantastic. The problem is there are just enough buzz words and metallurgical terms in that description to sound authentic.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    My idea of a preformance knive is a falkniven, chris reeve, AL Mar, FArid, Microtech, Spyderco, Condor, Boyle, and Kellam come to mind.

the victornox farmer does a considereably better job with fine detail work. Things like stripping bark, making traps, cutting rope, other detail work. BUsse's tend to be too thick, too big, and too long to do much of this work. the thing with a busse it it only really preforms when choping. and a preoperly sharpened machete or ax do a better job. somtime we need to go out the the woods and play, I'm sure I can make you a believer.

well big busses weren't designed for detail work thats why they have small busses(for which I will not pay the $$$ for). and for the record I'm not a busse kool-aid drinker I have other brands I like and EDC, but a big busse for me is a great multi tasker and would trust more than a cold steel machete. and I don't think you'll make me a believer out in the woods I've had more than enough survival training for me to know what works and have chosen my kit. I'm not trying make this into a debate but your making blanket statements about knives you admittedly don't like or use. edit: plus your not gonna get anywhere near the warrany that busse has with other comanies.

Last edited:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I really don't mean this in a snide or condescending way. Just don't believe everything you read. If the knife meets your criteria and you are happy with it, or you trust reviews of it, then fantastic. The problem is there are just enough buzz words and metallurgical terms in that description to sound authentic.

I don't believe everything I read thats why I went XD:D

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    well big busses weren't designed for detail work thats why they have small busses(for which I will not pay the $$$ for). and for the record I'm not a busse kool-aid drinker I have other brands I like and EDC, but a big busse for me is a great multi tasker and would trust more than a cold steel machete. and I don't think you'll make me a believer out in the woods I've had more than enough survival training for me to know what works and have chosen my kit. I'm not trying make this into a debate but your making blanket statements about knives you admittedly don't like or use. edit: plus your not gonna get anywhere near the warrany that busse has with other comanies.

I have like ontario Machete's alot, they tend to outcut a lot of other things in the big knife market. the only things I like about thebusse is that the overall knife will take a beating, but I have seen chips, and nicks in the edge, which if not sharpened out will lead to strees fractures. I also realize. that few companies have a busse Warranty. I was just trying to put another thought out there to be considered. there are some knives in ther line up I like. but I'm just not buying them. and I try not to make uninformed statements. what I know about the Busse knives comes from playing with them, beating on them. and using them. Many of my friends own and have them. BUt they tend to use other things more. Like the Kershaw Outcast, the Falkniven F1, or A2's. but the title of the thread was a question. which ended with are they worth it? I think I pretty effectivley pointed out the good and bad with them? didn't I .

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I am certainly not going to get into a debate about the quality of the knives, as many here have used them and I have not. They sound like a fine tool and I would love to own one.

I will say that if the steel described in the INFI page on Busse's website existed, and it does not, the creator could retire in a life of luxury because there would be 100s if not 1000s of industries willing to shell out large quantities of money for it. A steel like that would revolutionize the way things are built. The steel does exist. If you have a opinion that the properties of the steel are suspect and all a marketing ploy then get your own analysis of it done but do not call a manufacturer a liar in a public forum without your own research to back it up. Also Jerry has the steel made just for him and he is a knifemaker who enjoys doing it and has made plenty of $$ doing only that.

There can be no material that has everything. If you want high hardness, you generally give up impact resistance (it becomes more brittle). If something is 62HRC, it cannot bend to 35 degrees at point of bend and spring back, especially while being corrosion resistant and able to hold an edge. Have you ever heard of differental heat treat? How about Cryogenic treating of blades? Both these things are part of the process of what goes into a Busse. Do a little research and come back and talk about it.

What better material would there be to build a bridge out of? A hard, corrosion resistant, flexible, tough steel would solve so many problems. The only steel that is even remotely capable of some of these properties are the very experimental and exotic amorphous steels, and even these act like glass if you hit them. Bridge steel is not meant to do the things knife steel does and vice versa. I've got first hand EXPERIENCE that Busse blades will hold an edge and can be smacked with 20oz framing hammers and survive.

Over 20 years ago, when I went thru the 2d EVER S.E.R.E. instructors course run by the late Col. Rowe at Ft. Bragg, I had a tool/ knife fail me. I swore then that I would get the best tool I could afford. I spent a bunch of $$ looking for the right tool. In about 1997 I got my first Busse and haven't had one fail me yet. I retired in 2003 with over 21 years as a Grunt and even after that a Busse went with me on 2 trips to the sandbox as a contractor. They are the ONLY blade I will bet my life on.
    Sorry for the rant but there are some things that get to me.
    :twocents:

Bob

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    ahead of time:

i'm not a busse fan. i know a thing or two about designing and constructing a knife which will do its intended job. cold steal and cliff stamp suck nuts on a dingleberry filled homo.

having said that:

busse makes bad ass knives. they don't float my boat, but i've never seen one fail under uses not designed to break them. that alone is impressive. and as to their following..... they are ravenous! (pokes paddling man.. ;) ). some are overboard, but we all got our overzealous fanboys! gotta have em, man, its the internet! you can always spot those guys... with they're pretty safe queen knives.... never put the edge to anything but felt. in a word:

then you have the guys who KNOW whats up. not the internet hype, or blind hero worship, or any of the other BS.

like PADDLING MAN! hahahahaha. you gotta use this stuff to know WTF your talking about. and not use it outside of its design parameters and then say "what a POS."

a busse is not a SAK. SAK is not a busse. you wanna get a splinter out, get a SAK. you wanna make big tree small trees, use the busse. to compare the two and then kick the BUSSE in the dick is retarded.

as to cost.... i won't even get on the boat. quality products are MADE, they don't appear out of thin air. and the warrenties aren't absorbed by the warrenty fairies. if you think they are too expensive, thats fine. you probly don't need one anyway. but don't dictate to people who MIGHT need them, that they are wrong in the choise to spend their money on them.

a knife isn't always a knife. yes, virginia, then are ****** knives out there that are over priced. like those $15 fixed blades at walmart. THOSE are over priced. busse is expensive, but your not just buying a knife. your buying tools which are backed by an entire system and staff. try THAT with a chicom fis=xed blade made out 783mm66JT44.12 ST "steel" from "Tiawan".

Top Bottom