• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If Abbot were a true patriot he would secure the border using the Texas National Guard. Invaders would be turned back by authorizing the use of deadly force to repel them. Instead he does publicity bs like this.

Yes, I'm sure Abbott is going to order the Texas National Guard to shoot women and children. It's what patriotism demands.

:rolleyes:

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    The purpose of Congress with regards to federal law, which is written and enacted by Congress, is determined by the Executive branch of the federal government through enforcement, and later through the Judiciary branch if necessary. It is not determined by opinion of state and local officials, as they have no enforcement power regarding said law.
    Isn‘t marijuana federally illegal? It seems that the opinions of state and local officials are overriding that law.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Isn‘t marijuana federally illegal? It seems that the opinions of state and local officials are overriding that law.
    For about the third time...state and local officials have no authority, nor duty, to enforce federal law. There is no "overriding" involved. That's not how the law works. There does not have to be agreement between state and federal laws, but when there is conflict between the two, federal law is supreme. However, it is up to the feds to enforce the federal law.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I think that there's an additional complication contrasting immigration/visa laws from drug/firearms/whateverBesidesImmigrationLaw.

Suppose a person violates federal gun laws. The state, say IN, has a law that says violating federal gun laws is a violation of state gun law, which explicitly references the federal law (i.e. there can't be conflict because the state law is inheriting its language from the feds via reference). Okay.. That will be in accordance with the federal law and would apply to US citizens & foreign nationals equally.

But if we look at immigration law, we're specifically discussing how the US federal government is interacting with foreign nationals. So while a foreign national is given the same restrictions of say state law deferring to federal law on firearms. If we're discussing immigration law, then that law explicitly deals with how the United States interacts with foreign nationals. I haven't had time to read the entire opinion of H v D referenced on the previous page, but I conjecture that puts the role of enforcement more squarely on the feds and restricts the role of state & local authorities to basically be "telling the teacher."

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    The way I see it is those folks are now here and can travel freely. They are not locked up or restrained. They get on those busses by their own free will and go sightseeing. Nothing illegal until they miss their hearing?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yes, I'm sure Abbott is going to order the Texas National Guard to shoot women and children. It's what patriotism demands.

:rolleyes:

We've been told we're about to have food shortages by the Resident of the White House, yet we're flooded with illegals coming here to take our resources. At what point in time do we decide they're an existential threat deserving of such a defense? I don't think the Guard would be indiscriminately killing anyone, but securing the border, even with armed guards, is beyond a necessity at this point.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    View attachment 193504

Who knew that a little state-sponsored kidnapping, with a side of light human trafficking, could solve our immigration issues?

Buses seem kind of expensive, though. There's got to be a more efficient way to do this.
    Couldn't we just put them on some trains or something?
    Except it's voluntary, so not kidnapping. It's also not human trafficking as it does not meet the definition of such.

Simple enough. Immigration enforcement is the purview of the federal government. Regardless of whether the person agrees to the journey or not, a state that is transporting them across state lines is literally committing interstate trafficking of illegal immigrants. The state government has no authority to do this.

1907. TITLE 8, U.S.C. 1324(A) OFFENSES

Domestic Transporting -- Subsection 1324(a)(1)(A)(ii) makes it an offense for any person who -- knowing or in reckless disregard of the fact that an alien has come to, entered, or remains in the United States in violation of law, transports, or moves or attempts to transport or move such alien within the United States by means of transportation or otherwise, in furtherance of such violation of law.

The feds have released them and allow them to travel between states. So doing this is not "in furtherance of such violation of law". TX is simply assisting them in following the feds rules. Now if they hadn't been arrested/detained and released you might be right.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The feds will get the courts to rule that they can't do this. It's as simple as that. Now it will be up to the States to follow that ruling or not. I'm all for the relocation idea to put the heat on DC but that will be the way it will go down.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm not sure how serious you are, but immigrants highly align with Republicans on almost all issues, except immigration.

Very unclear post. Half right, they align with republican values, but I have seen much polling showing they do not support illegal immigration. You were unclear when not distinguishing legal vs illegal immigrants. I know no republicans against legal immigration.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    We've been told we're about to have food shortages by the Resident of the White House, yet we're flooded with illegals coming here to take our resources. At what point in time do we decide they're an existential threat deserving of such a defense? I don't think the Guard would be indiscriminately killing anyone, but securing the border, even with armed guards, is beyond a necessity at this point.
    Nobody is saying that we shouldn't have border security. I was just responding to the sentiment of "using deadly force to repel them." Yeah, we all know what that means.

As far as food shortages go, we're quite a long way from shooting each other over the last box of Twinkies. If we get anywhere near that point, it won't really matter where the other guy was born.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    As far as food shortages go, we're quite a long way from shooting each other over the last box of Twinkies. If we get anywhere near that point, it won't really matter where the other guy was born.
    Does the sand get in your eyes when your head is so deeply buried in it?

Not a matter of where he was born, it is the mouth that is the problem…

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Does the sand get in your eyes when your head is so deeply buried in it?

Not a matter of where he was born, it is the mouth that is the problem…
    If we are so desparate in this country that we don't have enough resources, or are anywhere near that point, then why are you so worried about the color of your neighbor's mailbox? Pinning an illegal immigration argument to a supposed food shortage in this country is laughable. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to secure the borders without resorting to such nonsensical arguments.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Nobody is saying that we shouldn't have border security. I was just responding to the sentiment of "using deadly force to repel them." Yeah, we all know what that means.

I don't know about you, but I'd prefer to address the problem before we get to the last box of Twinkies. Resources are going to get scarce and I'd rather have less people to take the available resources.

If we are so desparate in this country that we don't have enough resources, or are anywhere near that point, then why are you so worried about the color of your neighbor's mailbox? Pinning an illegal immigration argument to a supposed food shortage in this country is laughable. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to secure the borders without resorting to such nonsensical arguments.

They are illegal immigrants. That by itself is more than enough reason to keep them from coming here and to ship them back out if they do make it here. There are plenty of additional reasons, such as the fact that many of them are criminals (aside from being illegal immigrants) and many are involved in human trafficking. The fact that they consume resources that would better go to citizens of this country is just blatantly apparent, at least to most.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I pin illegal immigration on one thing, it is illegal. Full stop.

Top Bottom