• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Been searching for SS .22 revolvers, checking prices at Hoosier Armory b/c their site is friendly for comparisons.
    If I can't find a used revolver and might have to buy new.
    Here's what I find with the profile I'm looking for: .22LR; Stainless Steel, Single/Double action, cylinder swing out and all spent shells come out with one smooth motion, and etc."
    Taurus 992; 6.5 inch barrel; 55 oz.; 9 rounds; with WMR cylinder for $500
    S & W 617; 6 inch; 10 rounds; 44 oz; SS for $690
    Ruger GP100; 5.5 inch; 10 rounds; 42 oz.; SS for $627
    I'm in no hurry, and I enjoy "the hunt."
    I have been away from guns since about 1980, so I only have learned a little in the past few days, and this site has been helpful.
    Maybe at the Indy Gun Show I'll find a "plinker" that I can live with until I find what I really want.
    I would rather not get a semi and a revolver; I'd rather spend more for the right revolver.
    I have gotten some really good tips, if anyone wants to tell me to save my money and just get the Taurus, or tell me in the long run I'll wish I got the Ruger or even the more pricey S &W, feel free to offer up your opinions.
    Thanks!

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Beretta Neos. New around $250, comes with 2, 10 Round magazines. Easy to field strip to clean.

Very interesting read.
    Found out they come in a 6 inch and SS as well.
    Pricing I found was $300-$329 (higher for the SS).
    Research indicated you could buy the 6 inch and just buy the 4.5 inch barrel and swap them out, if you wanted different lengths.
    Intriguing gun.
    Yes, I am full of inconsistencies, since I keep saying I just want a revolver.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have a S&W 617 pre dash 6 shot with the 8" bbl but you wont like the price.

I thought the 617 was a 10 shot, but obviously, they come with different chambers.
    Love the thought of the 8 inch barrel, but I'm sure you're right about the price.
    I sometimes see prices higher for a used S & W than what I see Hoosier Armory is selling them for new.
    Puzzling.
    But, you tease, you should have rounded out my education and bombed me with the price.
    I suppose it isn't SS, and the price is not a quick $500, ha! I suppose it is $700ish.
    "Pre-Dash?" early model? 1991? I tried to look it up.
    What a beauty, being an 8 inch: WOW! You have a fine desirable tool to sell.
    I did find one with a 4 inch barrel for a price I would have paid, but it sold quickly.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I found a used Beretta Neos online for $250, and I called the private seller about it.
    He lives in Denver, so I got an education that you can't buy out of state w/o going through an approved gun shop.
    I thought perhaps if I went to the dealer where I bought my .38 in Westfield (Marksman Shooting) that it could be arranged, but no.
    This particular gun captured my imagination and reads well, w/o misfires, and I was willing to take a chance on it.
    Well, like I said, I enjoy the hunt.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I really like my Ruger 10/22 Lite. Those go used for ~$300-350.

I'm kind of jonesing for a North American Arm Pug now too. Not really want you are looking for but...

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I know it isn't a revolver or stainless but it's my ALL TIME favorite pistol. Never had a range day without it.

Ruger 10" target MKII.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Last night I spent the whole evening looking, and on Armslist, late I checked and there were 3 guns that had been put on there I responded to.
    I had to tell each one I didn't have a permit and if that was a problem I wouldn't qualify to purchase.
    They were:
    $300 S/W SS revolver, 9 shot, but only a 2" barrel. ( if that would be no fun as a target pistol, let me know, but I just liked the price)
    $250 S/W Victory (best price I've run across)
    $200 Beretta Neos (that someone recommended here, and price seemed good)
    We'll see if I get any response.
    Any input if I should pass on the revolver b/c of barrel length?
    If I have a choice, which should I choose between the Victory and the Neos?
    Appreciate any input.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I just got a call from the 54 yr. old guy selling the S/W Victory.
    It was $300, not $250 (got it confused, my mistake), and I was going to decline, but since I'm saving taxes, and he doesn't need the permit, I'm going to get it.
    Unless, of course I get advice that I'm paying too much. He says he has only put 20 rounds through it.
    I don't know how old it is.
    Haven't heard from any of the other 2 guys yet.
    This will give me something to play with until I can get what I want.
    Should I keep the Victory, or if the Beretta Neos becomes available, get it to replace it with.
    The Neos is only $200, so would there be enough difference to keep both for awile?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I just got a call from the 54 yr. old guy selling the S/W Victory.
    It was $300, not $250 (got it confused, my mistake), and I was going to decline, but since I'm saving taxes, and he doesn't need the permit, I'm going to get it.
    Unless, of course I get advice that I'm paying too much. He says he has only put 20 rounds through it.
    I don't know how old it is.
    Haven't heard from any of the other 2 guys yet.
    Should I keep the Victory, or if the Beretta Neos becomes available, get it to replace it with.
    The Neos is only $200, so would there be enough difference to keep both for awile?

I love my Victory. It comes with fiber optic sights that are very easy to see and the extra barrel length helps accuracy. That said, I've never shot one, so can't speak to that. I will say the trigger on the Victory is very nice and I find that very important in a target gun.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

I have a Neos as well as a Buckmark and a Ruger Mark II but I don't have any experience with the Victory yet. IMO, the Neos is a definite step below the other two in terms of trigger quality and overall accuracy. I would assume the Victory to be closer to the Buckmark and Ruger than the Neos so in that regard there really isn't a reason to replace one with a Neos. That said, the Neos is not a bad gun and if you really like it there is no reason not to have both.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I love my Victory. It comes with fiber optic sights that are very easy to see and the extra barrel length helps accuracy. That said, I've never shot one, so can't speak to that. I will say the trigger on the Victory is very nice and I find that very important in a target gun.

A good endorsmenet!

I have a Neos as well as a Buckmark and a Ruger Mark II but I don't have any experience with the Victory yet. IMO, the Neos is a definite step below the other two in terms of trigger quality and overall accuracy. I would assume the Victory to be closer to the Buckmark and Ruger than the Neos so in that regard there really isn't a reason to replace one with a Neos. That said, the Neos is not a bad gun and if you really like it there is no reason not to have both.

That is exactly the kind of feedback I need.
    I'll pass on the Neos and concentrate on a revolver.
    Noone has given me any feedback on the 2" S/W SS revolver I found, on whether I should hold out for the longer barrel.
    It was $300 which seemed to be a great price for a S/W revolver SS.
    I'll know more and get a better feel for it after the Indy Gun Show.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm with two70 here.
    That Victory looks very promising, and the early reports about it indicate that it's about on par with the Browning Buckmark and Ruger MKx guns.
    I'd certainly consider it superior to the Neos for range use.
    Were it mine, I'd take it to the range with several different types of ammo to narrow down what shoots best, testing for accuracy and reliability, then once I was satisfied with the accuracy/reliability of the pistol, I'd buy a few bricks of the ammo that does best out of it, then pick up at least a half dozen spare magazines.
    I envy the task before you.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm with two70 here.
    That Victory looks very promising, and the early reports about it indicate that it's about on par with the Browning Buckmark and Ruger MKx guns.
    I'd certainly consider it superior to the Neos for range use.
    Were it mine, I'd take it to the range with several different types of ammo to narrow down what shoots best, testing for accuracy and reliability, then once I was satisfied with the accuracy/reliability of the pistol, I'd buy a few bricks of the ammo that does best out of it, then pick up at least a half dozen spare magazines.
    I envy the task before you.

I picked up the Victory after school.
    I can't "play" with it b/c I have a prom to go chaperone this evening.
    I looked at the Neos at Cabelas gun shop this evening, and from talking to the man who seemed very knowledgeable, I'm happy with the Victory.
    The Neos I looked at was a 6" also: looked wonderful, but I liked the heavier feel of the S/W.
    I'm happy to have paid $300 with no tax.
    I talked with the seller about not having a permit and how that was limiting what I could buy, and he said he did a search on me, which he said was easy, ha!
    Right, boring school teacher. I told him if he went to my Facebook he would simply find a religious nut.
    The other 2 guns weren't even listed on Armslist this evening, so maybe they sold already.
    I'm not going to buy a 2 inch revolver; I was told that would be no fun for target shooting.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I looked at the Neos at Cabelas gun shop this evening, and from talking to the man who seemed very knowledgeable, I'm happy with the Victory.
    The Neos I looked at was a 6" also: looked wonderful, but I liked the heavier feel of the S/W.
    I talked with the seller about not having a permit and how that was limiting what I could buy, and he said he did a search on me, which he said was easy, ha!
    Right, boring school teacher. I told him if he went to my Facebook he would simply find a religious nut.
    The other 2 guns weren't even listed on Armslist this evening, so maybe they sold already.
    I'm not going to buy a 2 inch revolver; I was told that would be no fun for target shooting.

I hope you enjoy your Victory as much as I enjoy mine :yesway:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

Just be sure to always transport it in the trunk or otherwise inaccessible while traveling with it and you'll be within the bounds of the law.
    Of course, if you get your LARRY (License to Carry), you can carry it up front with you or even on your person, which is what I would advise.
    I took drove my dad to the doctor today and took him all over Indy this morning, the whole time with my self-defense carried IWB.
    It's a beautiful thing not having to sweat being legal.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I hope you enjoy your Victory as much as I enjoy mine :yesway:

1. I'm glad to have gotten the S/W with so many having recommended it here and talking with dealers.
    2. I have a 4 day weekend but I have so much going on, I might have to put off "testing" it out.
    3. My next thing is finding out what brand of ammo to buy that isn't too cheap as to clog and dirty everything up.
    4. I haven't even started researching that.
    5. I don't know if I can go to Walmart and by it cheaper. I was told different brands to use and told not to get less than a 40 grain and stay away from Aguila rounds.
    6. I was told:
    PMC, Masters, Federal, Winchester

Just be sure to always transport it in the trunk or otherwise inaccessible while traveling with it and you'll be within the bounds of the law.
    Of course, if you get your LARRY (License to Carry), you can carry it up front with you or even on your person, which is what I would advise.
    I took drove my dad to the doctor today and took him all over Indy this morning, the whole time with my self-defense carried IWB.
    It's a beautiful thing not having to sweat being legal.

1. I intend to get my permit this summer after school is out.
    2. When I got it back in the late 70s, it was an afternoon job to go here and there to get fingerprinted, get a cashier check and the like.
    3. I assume there is more hoops to jump through now.
    4. Is going to a gun shop where you have bought a gun a helpful way to get assistance, or do they not have anything to do with it.
    5. I hear you can do much of it online, getting fingerprints at certain places.

Top Bottom