• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I carry .357 magnum. I always wanted a .454 Casull.......... Then I saw .600 Nitro Express. The guy at the gun shop says that American Derringer Will bore you a derringer for any caliber you ask for.......... So, these are not good ideas?

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    There is an article in the latest issue of Gun Digest magazine on stopping power of the various calibers and how many rounds it takes to stop a bad guy. The author has put a lot of hours into the article. Being an ex L.E.O. and attending as many autopsies as possible.

He finds about a 5% difference in the Big 4....380, 9mm, 40, and 45 and they all took more than 2 rounds to put a man down.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    There is an article in the latest issue of Gun Digest magazine on stopping power of the various calibers and how many rounds it takes to stop a bad guy. The author has put a lot of hours into the article. Being an ex L.E.O. and attending as many autopsies as possible.

He finds about a 5% difference in the Big 4....380, 9mm, 40, and 45 and they all took more than 2 rounds to put a man down.
    So...basically shows what I've always thought about caliber, use what you want and what you like.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Which issue? July 15? I'd like to take a look at the article and see their methodology.

I looked at the June 30 issue online for the article on calibers and began discounting the author (Dave Workman) when said he alternated HP and FMJ in his 1911 because it addresses "both feeding and penetration concerns". Apparently cartridges that don't feed properly are ok if you only use them every other round. At least then you are only doing your malfunction drill every other round, right? Inadequate penetration is also fine as long as its every other round, you'll get him with the next one, right? There's plenty of good choices in .45 ACP that feed reliably and penetrate adequately, especially out of a 5" barrel.

When you have to have something new to say every few weeks on a topic that really doesn't see much in the way of advances on a monthly basis, well, this is the result.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Which issue? July 15? I'd like to take a look at the article and see their methodology.

I looked at the June 30 issue online for the article on calibers and began discounting the author (Dave Workman) when said he alternated HP and FMJ in his 1911 because it addresses "both feeding and penetration concerns". Apparently cartridges that don't feed properly are ok if you only use them every other round. At least then you are only doing your malfunction drill every other round, right? Inadequate penetration is also fine as long as its every other round, you'll get him with the next one, right? There's plenty of good choices in .45 ACP that feed reliably and penetrate adequately, especially out of a 5" barrel.

When you have to have something new to say every few weeks on a topic that really doesn't see much in the way of advances on a monthly basis, well, this is the result.

You saw that too? I won't read any more Workman stuff after that.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You saw that too? I won't read any more Workman stuff after that.

Ran across it trying to find the article Roscoe is talking about. I don't subscribe to any of the gun magazines any longer but can access gun digest in its e-version. I'm downloading the July 15 one now, once its my Kindle I'll see if its in that one.

**on edit**

Got the July 15 edition and don't see it in that one either.

Last edited:

EAS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    The biggest thing for me is mechanics. As long as they are good I'm accurate from .22lr to the Xdm .45 I carry. How that translates to a real life situation I don't know and I hope I never have to find out but I'll keep practicing.

Top Bottom