• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    If we had a different National Anthem, the NAACP and the NFL could work on literacy issues.

I'd like to nominate, "The Theme from Schoolhouse Rock" because learning needs to take place here.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Wait...there may be an unknown stanza to that or some racist backstory we're not aware of yet.

That controversial stanza is not in NA. The NA, as it is played and understood is not racist. Slavery is a part of our history...we should not celebrate it but remember it so that we don't repeat it. The SPB (as it's universally recognized) does not celebrate slavery but sings of what is good (among the bad) of America.

If that part was still in the song, I'd be more sympathetic. It's not, so can we go worry about some real issues that are actually affecting all of our lives instead of this contrived tempest in a teacup?
    Is there another unknown stanza in which FSK changes is previously held views and realizes "land of the free" and "home of the brave" applies to all Americans? I'm sure being held prisoner on a boat that's blasting away with cannon fire at the fort with a REALLY HUGE American Flag could be a significant emotional experience.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Is there another unknown stanza in which FSK changes is previously held views and realizes "land of the free" and "home of the brave" applies to all Americans? I'm sure being held prisoner on a boat that's blasting away with cannon fire at the fort with a REALLY HUGE American Flag could be a significant emotional experience.

The ideals, even if they weren't executed to perfection by humans, was there and is there. Just like with our Declaration of Independence and Constitution...they were conceived of and written by flawed human beings. It's up to us to build upon what they've laid the foundation for. All of this tearing down because those that started the construction project weren't perfect sets us back and divides us. I reject the notion that the NA, as known and sung, is racist. This entire thing is there to separate and tear down.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    A little backstory and context on the third stanza of the song, which did not make the cut as part of the Anthem.

storybreak stars<\/title><path d="M5.146 9.01l-.19-3.623 3.057 1.985.693-1.197-3.213-1.67 3.213-1.638-.693-1.197-3.056 1.953L5.147 0H3.76l.158 3.623L.893 1.67.2 2.867l3.214 1.638L.2 6.175l.693 1.197 3.025-1.985L3.76 9.01m21.386 0l-.19-3.623 3.057 1.9

ETA: not sure why the link looks like that, but it will take you to the article.

I read a similarly well written article a few weeks ago totally refuting this one stating that the slaves in this stanza referred to the hired mercenaries the British employed. Back to square one. Since this stanza is NOT the National Anthem what's the problem?

I hoped to find the original article as it was written over 10 years ago but this one delves into it also: http://ijr.com/2016/08/684228-natio...-to-justify-kaepernick-is-really-bad-defense/

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What do they suggest replacing it with?

There's a lot of directions I would like to go with this. Most of them would get me labeled with the overused descriptor of the moment.

Instead of playing this for laughs, I'll add something non-anthem that is worth watching.

[video=youtube;TRUjr8EVgBg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRUjr8EVgBg[/video]

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Whyizzit we don't have an NAAWP? National Association for the Advancement of White People? Interesting, ain't it? You read these pages and you can see that all white people don't view other white people as brothers in arms. Sure, if push came to shove, basic liberties would be defended...but they would be defended for any race or ethnic group probably just as diligently. Doesn't mean we are going to like that other white boy just because he's white.

So, to expect white boys like me to admire your National Association of Gay Asian Long Haul Truck Drivers, or American Society of One-Armed Latino Paperhangers, is probably a mistake. I personally won't give you the time of day and won't listen to your grievances, even though some of them might be legitimate.

When you say you represent all of the X's in America, and many of those X's are low-lifes, drug dealing, murdering gang members, etc., I can't respect you for that association/affiliation. And I can't respect that "group", even though you may be an upstanding righteous individual.

Somehow I think we lose sight of that.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I read a similarly well written article a few weeks ago totally refuting this one stating that the slaves in this stanza referred to the hired mercenaries the British employed. Back to square one. Since this stanza is NOT the National Anthem what's the problem?

I hoped to find the original article as it was written over 10 years ago but this one delves into it also: The National Anthem Does Not 'Celebrate Slavery': The Meaning of Lyric Used to Defend Kaepernick
    Here is one from the Kapernick thread
    'Star-Spangled Banner' critics miss the point - CNN

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I hope this Derby nobody looks up the original lyrics to My Old Kentucky Home...Or for Texan's who "The Yellow Rose of Texas" was and what she did to insure Santa Anna would be "wore out" the day the Battle of San Jacinto started....

I kind of like this version of My Old Kentucky Home....

[video=youtube;dog0hf2XaGQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dog0hf2XaGQ[/video]

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

I hoped to find the original article as it was written over 10 years ago but this one delves into it also: The National Anthem Does Not 'Celebrate Slavery': The Meaning of Lyric Used to Defend Kaepernick

Then that's incorrect. During the war of 1812 the British did use hired mercenaries, those were the "hirelings." Slaves were promised freedom if they entered British Service. So the stanza is correct, and not redundant, when it references "hirelings and slaves." Further, following the loss of War of 1812, many slaves fled to Canada, where they were granted freedom. So Key, the author of the poem/song was ironically speaking of freedom, while encouraging the death of those fighting for it themselves.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Sorry about the slavery thing and all.
    Hindsight?
    That part of the world is looking like a major **** hole to me.
    Have to spread the rep around more. Damn

Kinda my feelings exactly

Pretty much every people has been enslaved at one point or another

It appears, that amongst some there is a belief that freedom is overrated as long as your descendants live in a more modern place. I can't speak for everybody, but I'd rather be free in a hut, than a slave in a mansion.

Top Bottom