• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Even scoped, I'll be lucky to find paper at 300+, sitting or standing.

Matt

Standing @ 100 yards
    Sitting/Kneeling @ 200 yards
    Prone @ 300 yards
    Prone @ 400 yards

Scoped does not mean more accurate in this type of shooting. Your ability to see the exact details of the target does not matter. Your ability to execute the steady hold factors, obtain and trust your NPOA, and break a clean shot is much more important.

You'll be fine. Even if you're not on paper, you'll be closer Sunday afternoon than you will be Saturday morning

nad63

Expert
    Oct 3, 2011
    I swear I posted it earlier when Nigel asked but I don't see it anywhere. I have qualified KD numerous times with a 14.5 inch set up and irons or scoped.

This is last instructor atterbury just a few months ago I took my shorty 13 in ar and had no problems with it and the red dot( aimpoint micro 2 moa) I went 8-9 for 10 on 3 and 400 almost every time. It's no problem for these modern rifles. My seated position was however was quite sad and pathetic lol.

Don't yourself short I heard all your positions were sad and pathetic!
    Just kidding. Will you be in attendance at this one on the 18th?
    Regardless I will be there with my 14.5 inch set up and a positive attitude, zeroed and ready.
    Nigel

grunt soldier

Master
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Don't yourself short I heard all your positions were sad and pathetic!
    Just kidding. Will you be in attendance at this one on the 18th?
    Regardless I will be there with my 14.5 inch set up and a positive attitude, zeroed and ready.
    Nigel

Lol your probably right sir :) but I showed up and learned some things. That's the important part. I was suppose to be there both days but we are so short at work its possible I won't make it Saturday but I'm definitely in on Sunday.

rosejm

Master
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I'm so upset that I didn't know about this until today. Not to late to sign up, but I've made another commitment for that entire weekend.

Does this happen yearly (bi-annually), or is this more like hens teeth and unicorn tears?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Oct 9, 2010
    ... Scoped does not mean more accurate in this type of shooting. Your ability to see the exact details of the target does not matter. Your ability to execute the steady hold factors, obtain and trust your NPOA, and break a clean shot is much more important.

You'll be fine. Even if you're not on paper, you'll be closer Sunday afternoon than you will be Saturday morning

Scopes definitely have their place in making field shooting more accurate. It is not just about seeing the target. It is about observing the steadiness of your position, and how little things affect the movement of your POI against that target. I'm a big believer in shooting irons, but I won't mislead a newcomer, with the exception of shooting standing offhand, scoped is more accurate in terms of seeing how your use (or non-use) of the steady hold factors affects steadiness of the gun. Something small, like "dragging wood" with your trigger finger, or not having your arm directly under the gun (ie, NPOI issue, crosshairs don't settle down the same way every time), can move a shot from the V-ring to the next one out, or from the black to the white. That stuff can be hard to see with irons on a shortie gun.

Again, I'm very pro-irons for this type of shooting, but if a person is taking a shortie setup, I think they will learn the fundamentals more easily in the compressed 2-day period if they put some glass on it, see those little changes and get to that "A-ha" moment sooner. Just trying to help.

(And motorcycle guy - if your gun hits in the center of the 1" square at 25 yards 3 times out of 3 from prone, that alone will likely get you on paper at 300. If you build your sitting position the way your instructors show you, get your breathing and cadence under control and squeeze, you will be surprised how bad you'll whoop up on that 300 yard dog target...you'll see!)

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I'm so upset that I didn't know about this until today. Not to late to sign up, but I've made another commitment for that entire weekend.

Does this happen yearly (bi-annually), or is this more like hens teeth and unicorn tears?
    Keep an eye on the official Appleseed schedule. Click on any state on this page to view the current schedule of that state ... Appleseed - Search States for an Event

We're just now starting to put together 2015 Indiana Appleseed Schedule. I'm sure there will be at least one KD at Atterbury and maybe Evansville. If not, there will be other KD Appleseeds in the surrounding states that you can also join.

nad63

Expert
    Oct 3, 2011
    No confirmation yet & well past 48hrs

So am I in or not :dunno:
    Well I sent my paperwork in on 10-6-14 at 8.42 am and I have yet to receive my confirmation e-mail. I got my confirmation from Eventbrite but not from 'in@appleseedinfo.org'
    Deadline approaches and I'm in Limbo.
    Nigel

brianheeter

Marksman
    Nov 24, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just for the record ... When is the absolute latest time for sending in the information to Appleseed (personal and rifle information)?

For me it's 11:59 pm today. I will get stuff finalized and send it on to another, more senior, Appleseed Instructor who submits the forms. I don't know what his deadline is.

brian

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I ran into a gal last weekend that works on base and she said if we're going to Atterbury just don't go the weekend of the 18th. :):

She said there is going to be some kind of big wig General / change of command type of thing going on that weekend.

I would suggest watching your speed when driving through base and DO NOT think about bringing any undocumented weapons on base.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    I ran into a gal last weekend that works on base and she said if we're going to Atterbury just don't go the weekend of the 18th. :):

She said there is going to be some kind of big wig General / change of command type of thing going on that weekend.

I would suggest watching your speed when driving through base and DO NOT think about bringing any undocumented weapons on base.

I know on the 18th they are having a media event with GEN Dennis Via, Commanding General of the Army Materiel Command at Crane He's the four star general that Crane falls under, probably going to visit atterbury too.

nad63

Expert
    Oct 3, 2011
    Ok got my primary gun zeroed. 25 yd, 50/200 & 25m all within the last week! Ok with the 25m zero for the upcoming shoot and looking forward to compiling my own 'dope'. Note that's a 25 Meter zero (82 1/4 ft) not 25 yards. Hard to believe that 7ft 1/4inch is crucial but I believe it is. I am really stoked for next weekend but see irony in a 25 METER zero shooting on a YARD range and my sight adjustment is in millimeters!. Hopefully I have the inch/MOA holdover figured out also (yeah right!)
    Looking forward to it :)

Notalentbum

Expert
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Just curious, will we be keeping rifles cased between stations or slinging over shoulders?
    Still haven't figured out my lunch yet. Energy bars aren't gonna cut it for me.
    Is there a restroom close by the range or are we going commando?

maybe dumb questions but want to be prepared!

Top Bottom