• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nad63

Expert
    Oct 3, 2011
    Great weekend, Great instructors, Great shooters, Great video......what more can I say....
    My first KD Appleseed and it won't be my last. Putting into practice what you learn at 25 yards/meters at 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500 can be quite the eye opener. There aren't that many places to get this experience and when you couple it together with the level of instruction provided it just cant be beat.
    Congratulations again to the two chaps who obtained rifleman (Dirk & Paul) and to HOP who managed to shoot three balloons at 300 yds in 60 secs with four bullets after running 100yds (all that with open sights on a 10.5" AR!). Congrats on the orange hat too Dirk.
    For the rest of us the experience gained, the stories heard, friendships generated, information gathered is just as valuable if not more so.
    Thanks to all the staff for all the behind the scenes work involved to make this event happen and I'm looking forward to my next Appleseed and my next KD Appleseed.
    Nigel

Alpha Wolf

Plinker
    Oct 22, 2014
    Carmel
    I’d like to thank all of the instructors that came out to Camp Atterbury for the KD Appleseed. I really appreciate you taking your time to teach us more about our foundation as a country and how we used to live. I have learned a lot, and I learn more and more in detail about the topics from each event I attend.

The rainy and windy weather gave me another great experience with Appleseed. Somehow the first day of every event that I go to ends up raining or snowing! The cold weather makes me appreciate the warmth a lot more, and it also helps with my “riflemans bubble”.

I had an awesome time since I was able to improve my marksmanship and challenge myself in real world conditions. I was extremely happy when I scored Rifleman since I was striving for it since Marion County Fish and Game in Winter, 2013. Before Appleseed, I had no idea how to properly operate a rifle. I’m proud to say that Appleseed taught me the most about marksmanship, and taught me a lot more about our heritage.

Even though I wasn’t able to score Rifleman on my first AQT, I’m glad that I was able to back it up on the second AQT. When it started raining I realized I left my rain gear in my second bag, so I had to run to the parking lot and back. It really got my blood pumping and kept me warm!

My goal for 2014 was to get Rifleman, so my next goal would be to achieve KD Rifleman with iron sights instead since I was using a scope. I had an amazing time with everyone who came to Camp Atterbury and I am happy that I was able to meet all of you. I told a lot of my friends about my experience and I hope that I am able to bring them along next time.

-Paul

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I want to send congrats to my Brother-in-law Mark and buddy Brian.

Mark started doing Appleseeds about a year ago and gets better each time out. He's battled some equipment issues (extractor, scope mount, eye relief,...) and is really close to scoring rifleman. He nailed a couple of those evil balloons too.

Brian was a 1st time Appleseed shooter. He learns quickly and takes instructions very well. Shooting KD exposed a few equipment issues for him too (windage knob, loose mount). When things wern't breaking he was shooting some really nice groups using the Vortex SPARC. Once that gets sorted out I'm sure he'll be back & score rifleman too.

elvin

Plinker
    Sep 27, 2009
    Camp Atterbury IN Appleseed Known Distance October 18 19 2014

on the Appleseed site you indicate it is a rimfire kd. Any problem if I bring my unfired 5.56 out for the shoot? Cant wait for SundayDave

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Brian, keep me posted of events this year please! Once I get a home and get my guns back, I will be looking for Appleseed opportunities and other events to be able to shoot .22 and my AR.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    on the Appleseed site you indicate it is a rimfire kd. Any problem if I bring my unfired 5.56 out for the shoot? Cant wait for SundayDave

Welcome, elvin. You may be confusing a shoot scheduled for MCFG in Indy this year for an Atterbury shoot from last year.

MCFG range does not allow full rifle calibers while only those calibers are appropriate for a full distance Atterbury shoot.

Check back for Atterbury Appleseed KD events in 2015, they're not scheduled yet.

grunt soldier

Master
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county

are you talking about this event here sir?

Appleseed Schedule

I'll ask the shootboss for you as I'm not sure if the whole weekend will be 22lr kd event or not. It's not a KD like camp Atterbury where you actually shoot out to 400 yards. it's kd for 22lr where you shoot at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards to simulate what a centerfire round will do at distance like the atterbury shoot.

There will several camp atterbury dates this year and we are just still trying to hash them out and get them approved.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Okay, since there are a lot of intelligent people on this thread when it comes to sling use, I will post this here instead of starting a new one. I am putting together and AR-15 and will be using the Magpul MOE Fixed Rifle Stock. It has connections for QD swivels on the sides and a 1 1/4" loop molded in on the bottom. There is also two bosses directly under the stock at the rear for mounting a short length of picatinny rail. I want to set this up with the G.I. cotton sling with the clip end if possible but I don't think I can clip it on the molded loop. What options do I have for a proper attachment point?

I'd add a picture, but I don't have one of the stock, sorry.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    There's a bunch of ways to attach a sling to the front and to the rear. I'll get pictures later if you want.

If I understand you correctly, you have a rifle length MOE. That might put it the standard front sight base loop too far forward for you. I use a carbine length MOE w/ a sight base mounted swivel sling loop on one of my Appleseed guns. I've also used: a QD socket attached to a MOE using a T nut, a plastic Magpul Picatinny rail with a Picatinny/loop or Picatinny/QD socket.

The metal clip part of a GI sling is the hook & goes at the rear of the butt stock. All my stocks have QD sockets. I clip the hook onto a 1-1/4" QD loop and insert that into the QD socket of my butt stock.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    There's a bunch of ways to attach a sling to the front and to the rear. I'll get pictures later if you want.

If I understand you correctly, you have a rifle length MOE. That might put it the standard front sight base loop too far forward for you. I use a carbine length MOE w/ a sight base mounted swivel sling loop on one of my Appleseed guns. I've also used: a QD socket attached to a MOE using a T nut, a plastic Magpul Picatinny rail with a Picatinny/loop or Picatinny/QD socket.

The metal clip part of a GI sling is the hook & goes at the rear of the butt stock. All my stocks have QD sockets. I clip the hook onto a 1-1/4" QD loop and insert that into the QD socket of my butt stock.

Oops, sorry. I should have said I was working on the rear of the rifle. I have a JP handguard and I can stick a swivel on anywhere under the handguard. Though you now have me thinking how to do that. It is a rifle length hand guard, 12.5" I believe. 18" barrel, rifle length gas system. Since I can mount the swivel anywhere under the guard, where should I be looking. Maybe you could give me a number of inches from the receiver?

The QD sockets on the stock are on the side. Is that an issue? I am used to the loops being on the bottom of the stock.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I use that stock as well as an acs. I use QD attachments for the rear. I also use an axiom stock on two 10/22 with qd sockets installed inthe same area. It's not an issue for me (Though I wish it was easier to add a swivel and use the j clip back there)

I actually used the j clip at the front swivel for quick detach point, but it will bite into the back of your hand even with a glove. I recently switched to a rail on the moe guard, with a qd attachment as far forward as I could get.
    I'm lazy, and like to QD the sling at the front, leaving the loop on my arm. sorry. :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I use that stock as well as an acs. I use QD attachments for the rear. I also use an axiom stock on two 10/22 with qd sockets installed inthe same area. It's not an issue for me (Though I wish it was easier to add a swivel and use the j clip back there)

I actually used the j clip at the front swivel for quick detach point, but it will bite into the back of your hand even with a glove. I recently switched to a rail on the moe guard, with a qd attachment as far forward as I could get.
    I'm lazy, and like to QD the sling at the front, leaving the loop on my arm. sorry. :)

So if I am following you, having a qd on the side of the stock towards the rear is okay? I can easily unhook it when I need to loop it around my arm. What if I want to do a hasty sling? Will it still work being in that high on the side location?

I have a swivel and a qd for the front. Just need to figure out where I like it on the guard.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    So if I am following you, having a qd on the side of the stock towards the rear is okay? I can easily unhook it when I need to loop it around my arm. What if I want to do a hasty sling? Will it still work being in that high on the side location?

I have a swivel and a qd for the front. Just need to figure out where I like it on the guard.

Right. standing is the only time I use hasty mostly, The side qd isn't a problem. for me (slim build) it's almost ideal as it sits higher up on my chest.
    The loop is the same as with a j clip, only you twist/put the qd to the outside of your arm. Just like the j clip, there is no interference.

A wiseman (ol huff) once told me the ground is your friend. The further forward you can get the front swivel, the lower to the ground you can get, and be more stable. I put it to the test, and cleared my first redcoat with that advice (no surprise he was right)

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Everyone's position will be slightly different. Getting too low hurts my neck. The Appleseed instructors should check to see if you are comfortable in the shooting position. Stress = strain = tension = muscling the shot. Remember NPOA. Relax into the sling. Yellow House Jake told me shooting was a lazy man's sport. Don't tell my wife that. :):

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Right. standing is the only time I use hasty mostly, The side qd isn't a problem. for me (slim build) it's almost ideal as it sits higher up on my chest.
    The loop is the same as with a j clip, only you twist/put the qd to the outside of your arm. Just like the j clip, there is no interference.

Assuming being right handed, which side of the stock do put the QD on?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Assuming being right handed, which side of the stock do put the QD on?

Yes, I am right handed. Left side. So in hasty, the sling straps across my chest and into the side of the stock.
    As in this ACS:
    MAG.209-3.jpg

grunt soldier

Master
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I think You guys might be over thinking this. You see that slit in the stock towards the bottom. run a small piece of 550 cord through it. then simply take and hook on to it with the open hook end. your golden.

I personally don't like my sling on the side of the rifle. It's better than nothing but I believe it puts a cant on the rifle.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think You guys might be over thinking this. You see that slit in the stock towards the bottom. run a small piece of 550 cord through it. then simply take and hook on to it with the open hook end. your golden.

I personally don't like my sling on the side of the rifle. It's better than nothing but I believe it puts a cant on the rifle.

You are so right, Patrick! I do tend to over think things a lot. Bring a piece of cord to the next Appleseed for me!:)

Top Bottom