Camp Atterbury July 23—Jul 24: 500 yards of rifle challenge! Who's going?!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'll double check with a real doctor but just spoke to a nephrology / dialysis nurse with 25+ years experience. Trying to hydrate prior to about 24 hours will cause your body to lose sodium and potassium and throw your body chems out of whack. You can only retain so much fluid for so long before the bady starts to purge the excess fluid.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'll double check with a real doctor but just spoke to a nephrology / dialysis nurse with 25+ years experience. Trying to hydrate prior to about 24 hours will cause your body to lose sodium and potassium and throw your body chems out of whack. You can only retain so much fluid for so long before the bady starts to purge the excess fluid.

So what you are saying is, Slim needs to drop the gallon jug and grab a bag of chips and a bundle of bananas now before it is too late?

On a similar topic, my wife and I have survived many a long and grueling weekend on a hot range by snaking on breakfast bars every 90 minutes and eating hearty peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with a bag of chips for lunch.

DAve

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    She's right. That's why you have to increase your electrolytes (what plants crave) as well.

Your body can only balance so much fluid/salts. You get to a happy median over time. If you're one of those "I drink a bottle of Dasani each day between my Diet Cokes" your fluid level maintains fairly low. Adding a WBGT of 107 for 12 hours to that normally low supply will result in losing more than you can retain, even if you're drinking all day. Your body will toss out what you're taking in because it's out of whack.

Getting it artificially inflated a few days before will allow you to retain more water.

my wife and I have survived many a long and grueling weekend on a hot range by snaking on breakfast bars every 90 minutes and eating hearty peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with a bag of chips for lunch.
    This is exactly what I do as well. I'll add a nice Mexican Coke and/or Ale 8 one. Tuna/crackers is a good substitute for the peanut butter dodgers. Nothing like 100 degree tuna!

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    If anyone would like to bring a pop up feel free. We will set em up off to the left so we can have some shade at lunch.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    If anyone would like to bring a pop up feel free. We will set em up off to the left so we can have some shade at lunch.

I'll have one in the car.

Also ... Just curious, how much water do each of you plan on carrying on your person (single day)? For those that have been to Atterbury in the summer previously, how much have you carried in the past? ... was it enough?

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Half to 3/4 a gallon. Half of which was frozen. One 12oz bottle of something sugary with lunch.

It it was enough for me.

The he very first time I went, whoever had mowed had exhibited genius. They had mowed the tops of the berms, and between 500 and the road. So if somebody looked at it while driving by, job looked done. It rained that morning and turned hot with the sun. We walked back and forth in wet grass waist high. I wish I had brought less of everything except water that time.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I'll have one in the car.

Also ... Just curious, how much water do each of you plan on carrying on your person (single day)? For those that have been to Atterbury in the summer previously, how much have you carried in the past? ... was it enough?

My first Atterbury experience (about 95 degrees), I put 3-4 16oz bottles of water in my bag for Saturday morning, and replaced them with fresh ones from a cooler during the lunch break. It wasn't enough. Later in the afternoon, I was DRY. Couldn't concentrate, my vision wasn't as sharp, I was super sluggish, and my performance showed it. I came back Sunday with a few bottles in my bag, and lots more in a cooler that I left at the 400 yard line. Every trip back, I'd drop off the empties, and grab 2-3 more cold bottles. The day went much better. I probably drank 10-12 16 Oz bottles throughout the day. I'm a bigger guy, and go through a lot of water. Your mileage may vary, but I'd bet you're more likely to see your scores suffer from dehydration than from a full bladder.

Gatorade works wonders, but it makes me sick if it's all I drink. Drink at least as much water as gatorade...I do 1 per 2 or 3 waters.

Leaving a cooler at the 400 yard line is the way to go in my opinion. You carry less on your person, drink more, and what you drink is colder. Dunking your hat in the cooler before heading back out does wonders, too.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    My recommendations on hydration when you are out on the big ranges like Atterbury:

--Take a gallon jug of PLAIN water with THREADED cap, and get it cool/cold before you go to the range. Drink all of it. (more on that in a minute)

--Take one 32oz Gatordrink. If it is to be a long day (like 12 hours, or if it is extremely warm), maybe take 2 Gatordrinks, but go easy or you'll be in the crapper instead of on the firing line.

--Take a salty-ish snack like peanut trailmix, in addition to your normal rations of whatever-won't-make-you-sick-on-the-range.

--If you HAVE a Camelback or similar, they are handy to take to the pits and keep water cool longer, but also have a tendency to cause people to run out before they knew...so take an extra Gatordrink to the pits with you. It's a South-facing range, and the pits can be extremely hot in the afternoon, with no way to get out and no water.

Don't forget that warm water or Gatordrink hydrate your brain and eyeballs just as well as cold, so even if it's 100-degree water, DRINK it if you are thirsty; also, drink more than you feel like you "want" when you are already thirsty. TRY to plan to be drinking a cup or so of water every few minutes, even if you don't 'feel' ike you need to, so that you stay AHEAD of the curve of dehydration. If you can already have to pee by about 10:00 am, and then at 1-2pm, you're doing well.

If you don't pee at least twice on a regular hot range day at CAJMTC, you are wayyyyyy cutting into your ability to shoot well, and make good decisions at 500+ yards with regards to condition corrections. I say this from years of experience on that range, and with a few tremulous scores at 600 yards (end of the day for us) to back up my own stupidity in the past.

Favor center,

-Nate

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Robby, you mentioned umbrella...thx for the idea. After 45 hours working outside this week already, I am definitely bringing it. Yep....I'm that guy. :)

2f0ez2r.jpg

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Would I be able to access a small cooler to replenish my carrying water at some point before lunch? I have a 2 liter camel back and a 1/2 gallon collapsible carrier on a shoulder strap but I don't wanna get dehydrated. Its hard to come back from that once you get behind the curve.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Would I be able to access a small cooler to replenish my carrying water at some point before lunch? I have a 2 liter camel back and a 1/2 gallon collapsible carrier on a shoulder strap but I don't wanna get dehydrated. Its hard to come back from that once you get behind the curve.

Leave it in your vehicle and grab some refills at lunch, or better yet, leave it at the 400 yard line. Saturday morning, you might be going slow enough to drag it everywhere with you. One AQT's start, leave it back at the 400 yard line, and refill every time you go back (several times).

Top Bottom