• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Am I the only one showing love for the sks? Ammo is cheap and it will never fail you

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    Ahhh, I ALWAYS forget I even own an SKS. The issue in my case is, I have a perfect Tula SKS. Like, beyond safe queen. May have to see if I could find a Chinese variant or something down here. That would be a good option

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    This is my last post in reply to you man if you want to continue you can pm me. I see no reason for personal communication on this.

The thread is camping/hiking rifle. Specifically said no to ARs in the original post. That's great It was also centered around SELF DEFENSE...not hunting...and I never said he should only use an AR... I said that his idea that a Bolt gun was a good SELF DEFENSE choice, when he has never used a Bolt gun was wrong. There is NOTHING about a Bolt gun that magically bestows the welder the ability to use it as a defensive weapon from the start. I told him a hand gun and mace is his best choice.

Specifically wanted a bolt gun. and if a guy came in and talked about going on a Hunting trip with an AR15 that he has never used...would you support that or try to explain an AR isnt the best choice for a novice on a Hunting trip??? Please answer this.

Why do you feel the need to belittle everyone who has different experience and opinion and that offers suggestions based on the parameters laid out?. For the same reason if I started telling people Bolt guns were crappy Hunting rifles you would speak up and start calling BS. Why cant you see that? Really man... If I said all scout rifles and all Savage Axis rifles jammed, were in-accurate and weighted 24lbs out of the box...would you say I was full of crap?? <--AGAIN ANSWER ME ON THIS. Would you call BS or not? I never belittled you. Again you keep saying I am attacking you when I am simply addressing your false claims... calling BS isnt belittling a person. Any jokes I may have tossed out were just banter.

No one has argued that ARs are not good and capable rifles, I quoted you stating such.

but they are not perfect for the asked purpose. The were DESIGNED and intended for the stated purpose... a self defense fighting weapon... Do you understand self defense is fighting...right?

Why would you care if he purchased a different gun when he has the Grail gun? I dont care what he purchased. I jumped in offered my experience and then read and replied to your false claims...YOUR FALSE CLAIMS...

Do you have capitalism? I believe in it...?

People are perfectly capable of defending themselves with other than AR's and that's fine. 100% agree...any rifle and any weapon and any thing can be used to defend ones life. It was part of the training I offered as a Professional.

there are regular classes teaching tactical and defensive scout rifle by some very operator individuals. Yup I regret never attending one... truly. And what does that have to do with YOU saying the AR is a crappy defensive rifle in the wilderness? I never said a well trained person with a scout rifle wasnt... in fact I made it clear the scout rifle used as a defensive rifle REQUIRES training.

A scout rifle is far more discrete than ar15s when hiking along side the less informed who only know an AR from the news. And from a Hunters point of view I can see that logic. From my point of view..I dont care what people think. They are not the ones defending themselves and their loved ones. I dont want a fair fight with a criminal... I want an unfair advantage and complete domination of the fight.... my goal is KILLING the threat...not looking cool, not caring what some bed-wetting liberal is thinking. If its legal to open carry a Long arm in the NF-SP, and I am doing it for SD...My AR15, SKS, AK47, AK74, AR9 is on my back. If I am Hunting white tail, I'll use my Savage.

Purple implied...

and again you twist this into something it was not.

You and others made false claims.
    I addressed your false claims.
    nothing else.
    I offered my thoughts to the OP without bashing any firearm... that is what YOU DID.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    So...what have we learned...

1- Military designations alter the physical aspects and design of machinery. Even though they are made by the same company, act in the same way, the mere fact the Military calls it something different alters the molecular structure of the atoms into a completely different thing...um..OK..?The M9 is NOT a 92FS, the M16 is not an AR15.

2- AR15s cannot be operated in the wilderness.

3- Since the US has never gone to war with an army of bears...the M16XX nor the M4XX nor the AR15 can be used for defend oneself while outside.

4- A bolt action carbine, for which the user has never trained with or owned prior to their camping trip is the best defesive firearm.

5- Bear spray is only good if you cant get to some other lethal weapon.

6- The 12ga shotgun can be used to go to war with a Nations army of Bears.

I'm outttttaaaa here... LOL
    This is the second time in this thread you have implied my own skills with a firearm. Where did I ever mention not having experience with a both action rifle? Most of my safe is filled up with both action rifles, that I am VERY accurate with, but they're collectible milsurp guns that I'd rather not get dinged up on a camping trip.

I could shoot the nuts off a rodent at 200 yards with my current AR, but would rather not trek around a mid-length piston driven system with a full sized rail, and I'd rather not have to mag dump a charging black bear in order to take it down.

If your so adamant about taking an AR15 hiking, then feel free to do so. I have no experience taking a firearm on an extended camping trip, where I know a lot of people here do. I DO know, however, what I do not want to take with me, and that is an AR15 for personal preferences.

Your original recommendation of a hand cannon seems to fall in line with a lot of people here as well, and is much appreciated. I've started looking more into 6-shooter magnums now

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    Please tell us ...... who do you advise ? who do you instruct ?

why does it matter? If I told you I instruct garbage men on how to clean trash cans, does that in some way alter my question of why you think a person doesnt require training to use a piece of equipment to save their life?

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    This is the second time in this thread you have implied my own skills with a firearm. Where did I ever mention not having experience with a both action rifle? Most of my safe is filled up with both action rifles, that I am VERY accurate with, but they're collectible milsurp guns that I'd rather not get dinged up on a camping trip.

I could shoot the nuts off a rodent at 200 yards with my current AR, but would rather not trek around a mid-length piston driven system with a full sized rail, and I'd rather not have to mag dump a charging black bear in order to take it down.

If your so adamant about taking an AR15 hiking, then feel free to do so. I have no experience taking a firearm on an extended camping trip, where I know a lot of people here do. I DO know, however, what I do not want to take with me, and that is an AR15 for personal preferences.

Your original recommendation of a hand cannon seems to fall in line with a lot of people here as well, and is much appreciated. I've started looking more into 6-shooter magnums now

you have to admit this comment makes it sound like you dont own any bolt actions..."I'm missing a good bolt action rifle in my safe anyway"

Ok you have awkwardly designed ARs..I get that many of us do. Have you ever thought about a standard simple .300BO, or .300BO Pistol with a 10" barrel? Not saying it would be used on this trip, but the AR field is so wide open, you can design anything nowadays.

Revolvers are nice I had a great Dan Wesson with multiple barrels. Great to change out when you needed a different firearm.

The best defense against bears is... a walkman and speakers blasting your favorite tunes... Cougars dont like it either. What gets people killed in the woods is being quiet. Surprising a bear is a bad idea...LOL

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Ahhh, I ALWAYS forget I even own an SKS. The issue in my case is, I have a perfect Tula SKS. Like, beyond safe queen. May have to see if I could find a Chinese variant or something down here. That would be a good option
    I have been searching for a nice paratrooper for a hike/camp gun. Only ones I've crossed were way over priced. I don't want a beater, but I'm not paying unfired "d" model prices.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    why does it matter? If I told you I instruct garbage men on how to clean trash cans, does that in some way alter my question of why you think a person doesnt require training to use a piece of equipment to save their life?

Please quote any of my posts (on this thread, or any thread within this forum) that show that I said that, or implied that.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hmm.

If I was worried about big hungry critters attacking me and I couldn't reasonably be somewhere they are not, a reliable self-loading .308 would be my choice based on my skill set.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Doesn't sound like OP wants an AR style gun for a couple reasons (public perception, possible encounter with granola eating man bun wearing snowflakes, etc).

I asked what to bring up there for my 2nd trip.
    The police in AK recommend a pump shotgun loaded with Brenneke slugs.
    The hunters up there said big bore lever guns & 44 Mag (or larger) pistols in chest rigs. Ammo should be hard cast lead like Buffalo Bore brand.

They live there so I figured they knew what they were talking about.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Hmm.

If I was worried about big hungry critters attacking me and I couldn't reasonably be somewhere they are not, a reliable self-loading .308 would be my choice based on my skill set.

Wonder if there is any critter in North America that a well aimed shot from a .308 wouldn't neutralize?

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    This thread has been pretty entertaining. I’ve never run across a TRUE Eugene Stoner zealot before! I still worship at the altar of John Moses Browning, BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE PROPHET!

This has been almost as entertaining as the open carry/concealed carry and DST barfights that regularly erupt on INGO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Wonder if there is any critter in North America that a well aimed shot from a .308 wouldn't neutralize?

Ain’t very much that a man can’t fix with a double-eagle gold piece and a 30’06.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson
    Please quote any of my posts (on this thread, or any thread within this forum) that show that I said that, or implied that.

No you didnt yet you asked me for a bio in the thread because I said something like, as an Instructor I would love to know you (collective you, not you personally) say a person doesn't need training to be proficient. You are asking for a bio without referencing why I offered the title. If I said , As a janitor I want to know why you dont want to clean your bathroom? Would asking for a bio support the question? No it doesnt. If you want a complete bio of my 50+ years...please PM me.

JJFII

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2018
    Anderson

Its not the size of the round...its the TIME applied in aiming... its also a failed mindset of a Hunters "1 and done" vs a Survivors mindset of "pull the trigger until the threat stops moving". A limited capacity bolt action canon is a horrible choice for a novice when speaking about wilderness self defense.

The OP has now clarified he is not a novice with Bolt actions, but that is not the point I was arguing any way. Its just one of the points I bring up.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    No you didnt yet you asked me for a bio in the thread because I said something like, as an Instructor I would love to know you (collective you, not you personally) say a person doesn't need training to be proficient. You are asking for a bio without referencing why I offered the title. If I said , As a janitor I want to know why you dont want to clean your bathroom? Would asking for a bio support the question? No it doesnt. If you want a complete bio of my 50+ years...please PM me.[/QUOTE]

I'll pass. My almost 70 years tells me that the place for you is on my 'ignore list '.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Doesn't sound like OP wants an AR style gun for a couple reasons (public perception, possible encounter with granola eating man bun wearing snowflakes, etc).

I asked what to bring up there for my 2nd trip.
    The police in AK recommend a pump shotgun loaded with Brenneke slugs.
    The hunters up there said big bore lever guns & 44 Mag (or larger) pistols in chest rigs. Ammo should be hard cast lead like Buffalo Bore brand.

They live there so I figured they knew what they were talking about.[/

This is very true. Been backcountry hunting and fishing in AK on more than a dozen occasions and I learned to carry what the full time guides carry. Short 12ga pump shotguns with a good sling and/or a large caliber revolver in a chest rig. I’ve carried both but found too often I’d leave the shotgun off body when fishing and didn’t want the weight if going back miles from camp. Ended up primarily carrying a 454Casul Ruger Super Redhawk in a chest rig and that’s what I’ll carry again next time I go up.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I had to go back and read the OP again after wading through the mess. It sounds like the AR is out, based on your criteria. If it were me, I’d go with a shotgun or a lever gun. You mentioned bolt action, but my question would be what more preferable calibers you could get in a bolt than a lever, besides the .30-06 you mentioned. The shotgun might be too heavy, but probably the most effective choice. If weight is the bigger concern, then maybe the mare’s leg suggestion would fit the bill. Ultimately, you’re buying a new gun and getting out into the wilderness, so it’s going to be a good day regardless.

Top Bottom