Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The way laws work is, "Ignorance is no excuse."

However, I suspect there is no law against a concealed carry at a bank:
    Concealed Carry In Bank Supported And Encouraged By Management | Gun Blog

No bank should be allowing it if federal law does not and this one does.
    It may be a deterent to would-be robbers to know a bank allows it.

Many who make large business deposits of cash have concealed carry permits.

His point is that laws don't allow us to do things, they restrict us from doing things. In the absence of a law, an activity is not restricted - like carrying in a bank in Indiana.

The Texas bank that posted their sign obviously knows there is no Federal restriction on the activity but their residents can only carry concealed.
    Open carry is illegal there so the sign may be the only crime deterrent they have available.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I never take my gun into the bank. Of course I always go through the drive through. To me banks and guns do not mix. I do not want someone to see a gun and think I'm going to hold the place up. It's a personal decision for me.

JohnLloydScharf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    No law in Indiana that says we are barred from carrying in a bank. In addition, signs DO NOT carry force of law in this state.

(IANAA---extra rigmarole)

I am not certain how that would work. You gun rights become privileges the moment you cross my threshhold.

If a property owner restricts firearms possession on their property and you cross the line, then I suspect it would be criminal tresspass, if you survive the attempt.

Luckily, I am a "reasonable man."

Gunpowder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Marshall County
    Go ahead and let me know how this turns out. You can and will be arrested in federal building and property if you carry into them. If you find doubt in this go to the post office and read the signs. There is a USC about it otherwise they would not be able to fine and arrest people in the post offices. If you want to know the USC go to your local Post office and the sign should have the code on it.

A page or so back an ordnance was posted pertaining specifically to post offices. That is what the post office is apparently referring to. Not Federal buildings in general. I will have to check the local USDA office next time I am in there but I have never seen anything posted.

AJMD429

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    No... last week the Prez of the bank FLIPPED when a guy came in with a pocket pistol... the handle was sticking out of his pocket.. police called.. (they knew the guy) "Oh HIM!! HAHA he's harmless" but the bank prez said "YEAH HE WILL BE WHEN HE GETS HIS $##$@ GUN BACK IN HIS CAR!!"

I once was fortunate enough to be the determining vote as to what bank a group of two dozen doctors did business with. I'd just noticed an area bank with a "no guns" sign on the door, so proceeded to spend the next week 'negotiating' with some VP-type individual to iron out the details of how our accounts would work, what package of business checking we'd need, and what sort of line(s) of credit the others may want to pursue. At the last minute, I suddenly 'noticed' the decal, and let them know in no uncertain terms I'd never do business with a bank that expected my family members or employees to be rendered helpless whenever in their facility. He tried all sorts of 'compromises', saying it wouldn't apply to the drive-up window, and even that "it's not really enforced if we know you", and I just stood firm on the principle that even posting such a sign was an affront to my sensibilities.

Of course in the meantime, I'd already set up our accounts at a bank where I knew the higher-ups were assuredly pro-gun.

Any place willing to throw their customers or employees to the wolves like that is NOT a place to be trusted... :noway:

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    As someone who's walked into a bank armed, as a private citizen, I can say that there is no reason not to.

In the state of Indiana, just because someone wants to restrict my rights, does not mean they have the legal authority to do so. However, as has been argued and proven many times on here, if someone in a business asks me to leave, and I don't, then I'm guilty of trespass. Not just because they don't like me having a gun. Company policies are not law.

My rights do not become privileges, period.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    So are we talking about carrying in a bank, on federal property, or OC vs CC? :dunno:

I wanna jump in but im not sure where we are at right now

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Pretty sure it was OC vs CC.

Which side do you want? :D
    I'm assuming your on the OC side so ill take CC.:rockwoot:

Your a show off who is only trying to make up for his lack of manhood. Also you have no tacticool.....or is it tactical advantage over the criminals. Your asking to be harassed by police and you make the sheeple pee themselves for your own amusement.

did I cover it all :D

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Your a show off who is only trying to make up for his lack of manhood. Also you have no tacticool.....or is it tactical advantage over the criminals. Your asking to be harassed by police and you make the sheeple pee themselves for your own amusement.

That's ridiculous. :rolleyes:

I do too have tacticool.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm assuming your on the OC side so ill take CC.:rockwoot:

did I cover it all :D

You are hitting all the selling points!

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    One branch of my bank (Huntington at 34th and High School Road in Indy) has a metal detector in the vestibule and the tellers won't open the inner door if you try to bring a gun inside. They will make you return it to your car.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    One branch of my bank (Huntington at 34th and High School Road in Indy) has a metal detector in the vestibule and the tellers won't open the inner door if you try to bring a gun inside. They will make you return it to your car.
    Does the main door lock behind you if you set off the detector?

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

There are red/green lights on both doors and they have to buzz customers in so my reasoned guess is yes, they could trap you in the vestibule...

I only asked a "what if..." regarding carry in there. I haven't "tested" their entry system yet (maybe I should FTFOI).

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    There are red/green lights on both doors and they have to buzz customers in so my reasoned guess is yes, they could trap you in the vestibule...

I only asked a "what if..." regarding carry in there. I haven't "tested" their entry system yet (maybe I should FTFOI).
    I see. Test if you like. Be interesting to see what they do.

I asked because there was a thread on here stating that if you set off their alarm both doors would lock. Obviously this would present them (Huntington) with a long list of problems. I plan on carrying (OC) into my bank today. Navy Federal Credity Union. OOOhhh scary! It even has Federal in the name!

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I am not certain how that would work. You gun rights become privileges the moment you cross my threshhold.

If a property owner restricts firearms possession on their property and you cross the line, then I suspect it would be criminal tresspass, if you survive the attempt.

Luckily, I am a "reasonable man."

No.

Your gun rights are still "rights" whether on private property or not (your rights are still your rights even if they are infringed by the government). The only issue is if one right (property owners rights) overrides another (gun rights).

You can't 'make' me disarm. You can only tell me to disarm if I want to come onto your property since your right to control your property trumps my right to be armed THERE. IOW, I voluntarily choose to suspend the exercise of my rights to gain the benefit of access to your property. The object of the objection isn't important. You could do the same if you just didn't like my haircut.

You have to give me 'notice' first that I'm not allowed on your property prior to it being a crime.

There is general agreement that a simple "no guns allowed" sign is not sufficient 'notice' to deny someone entry. Just as a sign that says "no shirt, no shoes, no service" is grounds for a criminal trespassing arrest if it is ignored.

Also, It's lucky for YOU that you are 'reasonable'. You can't legally shoot/kill someone just because they come onto your property, gun or not.

The above is for a private property owner. Businesses that are "open to the public" are under additional legal restrictions not required of a private individual. You are allowed to dicriminate on the basis of race, creed, religion, etc. A business is not.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    No.

Your gun rights are still "rights" whether on private property or not (your rights are still your rights even if they are infringed by the government). The only issue is if one right (property owners rights) overrides another (gun rights).

You can't 'make' me disarm. You can only tell me to disarm if I want to come onto your property since your right to control your property trumps my right to be armed THERE. IOW, I voluntarily choose to suspend the exercise of my rights to gain the benefit of access to your property. The object of the objection isn't important. You could do the same if you just didn't like my haircut.

You have to give me 'notice' first that I'm not allowed on your property prior to it being a crime.

There is general agreement that a simple "no guns allowed" sign is not sufficient 'notice' to deny someone entry. Just as a sign that says "no shirt, no shoes, no service" is grounds for a criminal trespassing arrest if it is ignored.

Also, It's lucky for YOU that you are 'reasonable'. You can't legally shoot/kill someone just because they come onto your property, gun or not.

The above is for a private property owner. Businesses that are "open to the public" are under additional legal restrictions not required of a private individual. You are allowed to dicriminate on the basis of race, creed, religion, etc. A business is not.

Seriously?

:ingo:

ProLibertate

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0

Nope. It's against the law under the fire code.
    You can lock people out, but you can not lock people in.

It would be cool if they could lock a would-be robber in the sally port though...

EDIT: I know someone is going to ask how I know, want links, and 2 forms of I.D... so I'll just throw it out there...
    Before PNC bought out National City Bank, they employed several off duty officers for security in their local branches. Several of the branches have the sally ports you're talking about. The inner doors could be locked down from the inside. The outer doors could be locked to keep people from entering, but they could still be opened from the inside, even when locked.
    When I asked whether or not we were capable of locking someone inside, they're reply was that it was against fire code.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom