• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Believe or not "that movie" can end well, if you take the proper approach with maturity and mindset (for example out east: OCed a M4 and the previously mentioned IN example: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../86880-second_amendment_march_aar_thread.html ) In Indiana, it is a perfectly legal thing to do.

There is a rights side of things, but lets take the pragmatic approach, you want to carry a gun for self defense, you foresee that you may face a situation where you would be required to use deadly force to protect your life (and/or that of a third party). You are preparing for the gravest of circumstance, you are preparing for lethal confrontation, and selecting your tools accordingly. You may carry a light to identify a threat; you may carry OC, stun gun, knife to handle threats not requiring the power of a firearm; you may equip yourself with training on using your tools and carrying the proper mindset and mental skills with you; and making it to the carry issues section you've also likely decided to carry a firearm. When choosing that firearm, are you going to carry the best tool for the job?

How many times have we heard:
    "My handgun is what I use to fight my way to my long gun."
    "All handguns suck!"
    "The best defense is a good offense"
    "Make yourself a hard target"
    "I carry a handgun because I can't carry a rifle."

Well in Indiana you CAN carry a rifle (just not on DNR land outside of hunting season without a permit while hunting).

Some of those statements come from seasoned and respected trainers as well.

How often does someone new to firearms ask what to get for home defense, and the prevailing answer is a long gun? What are the reasons for that? Does one control better than the other? Does one have better ballistics? Is one more likely not to enter into the neighbors house? Do people advocate that one may cause the threat to end upon sight without shooting more often with one than the other?

If you knew 100% you were going to be in a gunfight tomorrow would you pick up your EDC handgun, or the Carbine (AR, M4, AK, SKS,etc.)/shotgun you keep on hand for home defense?

Does a handgun or a long gun have a better chance and bringing a lethal threat to an immediate stop (given that the amount of time to pull a trigger is fixed which will require fewer rounds and less time to stop the threat)? Will it be a handgun or a long gun that will let to stop that threat from a greater distance more consistently?

LEOs, when you know you are entering into an armed encounter and you have time to make a decision, do you enter into the situation with your sidearm only, your shotgun or your patrol rifle?

You want to open carry (if you could manage it I'm yet to see anything in the IN code about CCing a long gun as well), if you're doing this as a deterrent, think about those that OC handguns all the time and others with thoughts on their mind condition white or nefarious don't see the handgun OCer because of body posturing; ohh you're doing it to educate the public, well then, when the public is in condition white do they notice the handgun all that often? How much education is accomplished then? Open carry is a decision made for easier access to the firearm? Maintaining control of a sling-ed rifle requires a hand on the gun at all times, to assure proper muzzle direction and weapon retention, is it easier to lift what is already in your hands or remove the handgun from the retention holster? Which gets up on target faster?

So you're carrying for self defense, and you're going to select the weapon that carries greater mechanical limits, to save face; because humans are social creatures and peer pressure says not to do it, because people will see that it is obviously a gun and that's not a comforting thought. People don't like to think about the fact that something bad could happen to them, or that like it or not it could all end tomorrow. So doing something that is legal in Indiana, for a morally sound purpose (self defense), but the folkway of possessing a firearm outside of the idyllic hunting setting of killing Bambi for sport that the mainstream movies portray, is going to necessitate your making the choice of an inferior means of protecting yourself.

I've heard of one and only one arrest related to the open carry of a long gun, it was in WI, before they had their CCW system, which meant no firearms within 1500ft of a school; an LEO doing traffic enforcement of the 20mph school zone stopped someone OCing a handgun and AR15 on a bicycle, 1000ft from the school, thus violating the gun free school zone laws. The arrest wasn't because it was a long gun, but that it was the person carrying didn't know the laws and take actions to abide by them before proceeding.

I'm certainly not going to judge anyone for making the choice not to in bending to social pressure, I know I've done it, and will do it again, and it's something that happens pretty much every time I carry concealed instead of openly. Carrying still leaves me better equipped than going without altogether, and I trust that my powers of observation and decision making are going to be the biggest factors in getting my butt home safe and sound at the end of the day.

There is also the consideration that many times, if I were to carry my AR, the .223 round would not have an effective backstop in many situations and the distance beyond the target lacking sufficient backstop that I need to account for is about 2.5 miles instead of 6600ft (based upon DNR hunter education tables comparing 9x19 from a handgun to .222 from a rifle). Also a lack of holster makes protecting the trigger guard inherently more difficult and in day to day activity could become a cumbersome task in a hurry.

If I come across someone openly carrying a long gun, sure it's their right; but if the head is attached to the shoulders and not off at the Gecko mall, who am I to question as anything more than a personal decison that person made? Whatever weapon you do happen to have should the worst ever happen is going to be the one you need to count on to get yourself out of that situation, be it a long gun, and EDC handgun, a BUG, a knife, your fists, OC spray, your words, a flashlight, a rolled up magazine; you're going to need to make the best of it; what you chose to bring to the table for your defense as far as I'm concerned as a some stranger on the internet is up to you. But if you do end up in a situation that is confrontational, on TV news, with Law Enforcement, with the general public at large; please remember that if they see you have a gun, you do in some way or another represent all gun owners, and whether that generalization is fair or not, it helps the rest of us if you're professional and level headed even if they don't agree without or try to get under the skin of of the MWAG.

Well that would be a different deal, if they were dressed to hunt, it was hunting season, etc.

That WOULD be normal.

I would be ok in that situation as well, because my brain would say "Those are hunters, its hunting season, all is OK."

I think my brain would say "Code Blue" if it WASNT hunting season, they werent wearing camo, and they had non-hunting guns.

But my brain is a little paranoid about being the least armed guy in the room. ESPECIALLY around my home, where all my earthly possesions are, my kids, wife etc... I got a lot to protect here.
    So if they're hunters it's ok, if they carry long guns for self defense, it's not ok and you're not okay with it because your gun is smaller?:rolleyes::): It's this sporting only, hunting only line of talking that helped edge IL into the state of "reasonable" gun laws that it is. If you've got a lot to protect (and it sounds like it's valuable to you), would it be logical for you to chose the best tool available to you to accomplish that task? Or are you saying that it would be better to go by the lowest denominator and have everybody reduce their firepower so that others don't feel paranoid, so those without guns should have the rest of us disarm? And knives? and sticks? and baseball bats? and water guns? (ok that last one was for the city of Tampa FL) Now if you see others, armed with long guns, and you equipped yourself to feel comfortable and started carrying a long gun yourself, and this process repeated itself over and over, would it then eventually become normal? If it becomes normal, would fear of the objects reduce; even while a healthy respect was maintained? If an armed society is a polite society, then is a well armed society a very polite society?

Last edited:

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Probably get flamed for this one but here goes......... I am a proud gun owner. Got a closet full of them and I carry just about everywhere I go. Mostly concealed but sometimes open. I believe in using our rights and standing up for them IN THE RIGHT WAY. This type of thing(especially those videos) is,IMO, not the right way. As a described gun fanatic even I would be a little nervous with my family in town seeing a guy walk down a busy street with an AK. Unfortunately there is just too much crazy in the world anymore and too many stupid people shooting innocents. That type of weapon has no use as a defensive round. And heres the thing...... There are millions of people who don't even think about guns. They are not against them but aren't really for them either they just don't think about them. These are the people we need to win over. The antis are already anti and we are already pro and neither side is going change their views so these middle guys are the ones that matter. If I would be nervous seeing this what about them? They look at that and the first thing a bunch of them will say is "Look at that. He shouldn't be allowed to do that, there oughta be a law!" And we just lost another one folks. When your pushy about something all it usually does is push people away.

you are entitled to your opinion. but next time, please hit enter every other point you are trying to make.

the uneducated population in this country of ours associates gun with "bad". only way to fix it, is to educate the uneducated. that is a bandwagon not too many have the care, time, or desire to hop on.

the "there oughta be a law" comment made me laugh.. screams liberal as if it were a new fad. (i dont want a gun so no one should have one..) :laugh:

either way. good post with points youd like to see discussed. have a good one.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Has anyone addressed the other side of OC'ing a rifle? If this ever becomes "normalized," then the ante will be raised. People complain about the militarization of police, and rightfully so. Would police be overstepping their bounds if because of the increase of OC'ing rifles we started conducting traffic stops with ARs strapped across our chests? That's not a idea I relish the thought of, but convince me why it shouldn't be that way if everyone starts carrying rifles across their back?

Hell, the average rifle round will go "through and through" my pidley Impala, should PDs starts handing out APVs to officers to gain a lil more protection?

No one's saying you don't have the right to carry a rifle, you certainly do, and as far as I know there's no danger in anyone losing that right. If Indy explodes in rioting, and some guy decides that he needs to carry his rifle to protect his and his neighbor's property/family, I won't give him a second look if he's carrying a rifle across his chest; heck, I'll probably ask him if he needs an extra box of 556 (trust me, I have plenty). However, I don't understand the notion of "I'm doing this because it is my right to do so," simply to make a point. It is also your right to walk around with a "I hate black people" shirt, just as equally protected under the BoRs as 2nd Amendment Rights. But doing so, unless your attending a Stormfront rally, isn't exactly the smartest thing in the world to do. There's a time and a place for everything.

:twocents:

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    picture.php

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Kutnupe, I thought I had touched on it. IMO a handgun says "defense" while a rifle says "offense." Its not that I think carrying a rifle is wrong, and if I had or felt the need to I certainly would, but not for me (on my person) at this time (doing my regular daily activities).

Police escalation would take a massive shootout such as the Miami 87 FBI, North Hollywood etc where cops were all severely out gunned. But the fact is most cops DO carry rifles and shotguns in their cars. SWAT guys carry rifles when they are called out decked in their military gear.

Perhaps its time for citizens to escalate?

BTW a handgun round will just as easily go 'through and through' a car. Literally the only safe place is behind the engine block. I have seen it myself and it is very sobering how easily cars are penetrated when you are used to Hollywood's armored impenetrable cars.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    So if they're hunters it's ok, if they carry long guns for self defense, it's not ok and you're not okay with it because your gun is smaller?:rolleyes::): It's this sporting only, hunting only line of talking that helped edge IL into the state of "reasonable" gun laws that it is. If you've got a lot to protect (and it sounds like it's valuable to you), would it be logical for you to chose the best tool available to you to accomplish that task? Or are you saying that it would be better to go by the lowest denominator and have everybody reduce their firepower so that others don't feel paranoid, so those without guns should have the rest of us disarm? And knives? and sticks? and baseball bats? and water guns? (ok that last one was for the city of Tampa FL) Now if you see others, armed with long guns, and you equipped yourself to feel comfortable and started carrying a long gun yourself, and this process repeated itself over and over, would it then eventually become normal? If it becomes normal, would fear of the objects reduce; even while a healthy respect was maintained? If an armed society is a polite society, then is a well armed society a very polite society?

I never said any of that. You are weaving words to support your point that nobody ever said.

I never said "Its Not OK" or talked about making laws.

All I said is, if people with guns show up in my neighborhood, I will be reacting, not acting like its "normal".

Because as of this moment, its not.

And it would be an awefully trusting sheeple thing to do, to just keep going on like nothing is up, when guys with AKs show up.

Because not everyone carrying a gun is doing it because they love guns, are a gun collector, and post on INGO.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but if you show up at my front door with a rifle, I will most likely go out the back and flank you with my own, and a VERY elevated heart rate.

There will be some yelling, and I am not going to be comfortable till you are on your stomach, the rifle is kicked away and you are explaining the hell you are, why the hell you are on my porch, and how you promise to never, ever do that again.

Because if I dont know you, and you went thru the the trouble to make it all the way up my driveway with a rifle, like it or not Sweetie Pie, you are a POTENTIAL threat to my family.

I have learned that there are some VERY trusting individuals on this board, who think that everyone with a gun is a good guy...... but I am not among them.

The burden of proof is on YOU to prove that you are not a "bad guy" if you show up heavily armed to my home. Not me. Several times in my life I have seen the heart of man, and its not pretty.

And if there are 4 or 5 of you, if the balance of power is tipped THAT FAR in your favor, you had best believe I will be doing my best to "tip it back".

I cant imagine I am the only person who feels this way. Maybe I am just paranoid.

But, if I am, I am ok with that.

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    I used to like carrying my AR in the back window of my truck...got the hard core stare down from every LEO I crossed paths with. LOL but none of them ever said anything. I cant imagine the uproar of walkin the street with it

1nthechmber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    It's nice to know there is interest in the subject,although didn't expect so many panties in a bunch,and rude comments about my grammar!... :)

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It's nice to know there is interest in the subject,although didn't expect so many panties in a bunch,and rude comments about my grammar!... :)
    Ahh don't sweat it. Panties tend to get bunched around here from time to time.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Looks like you got accurate, if brief, answers within the first six posts.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Looks like you got accurate, if brief, answers within the first six posts.
    ^This^ If the OP just wanted an answer to his question then he got it right quick.

It's an impossible task and the price to pay for posting something on an open internet forum and expect to just get an answer and that's it.

Usually after posters see that the answer has been given and there is no more to add then that's the time when the round of opinion posts start to kick in.

That's how it works, no big deal

Top Bottom