Can you polish an idiot mark out of a SS 1911 slide?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    She forgot that she bought me one just like this for Christmas a couple years ago. Still... 59 cents is 59 cents! I might need to modify the angle of the fork as I think it'll keep happening despite me learning to not be an idiot (recent edumacation).

I'll try some Flitz &/or a Dremel SIC polishing wheel. I've been pretty impressed with those little felt polishers.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It'll polish right out...

zGLy8MO.jpg

Go see AllemM stat

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    This thread got pretty spicy..

But on the original topic, I'm pretty sure I could polish just about anything at this point. I started with a turd (see my Mansfield thread). The level of polishing is what will drive a person insane though. You can put a quick buff and pull out the scratches with some sandpaper and finishing file... Looks good, then you try a little polishing compound... wow looks real good, then you get your dremel out and some red compound.... looks really good, then you break out a wheel and cut it down to white.... Loooks realllly good, then you have to hand polish out the areas the wheel won't touch... then you have to explain why you are spending so much time in the garage listening to music, drinking beer and polishing your 5" slide.

Moral being if the scratch is purely superficial and not a crack or other catastrophic damage to the metal part (or plastic even) you can polish it out.

DBrasco

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2019
    Queens
    It sure did get spicy!!
    I can say I’ve seen scratches like this get buffed and polished out, those don’t SEEM to bad but I didn’t see it in person. I’ve not seen idiot scratches like that on the slide, someone really had problems.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Fill the scratches with some JB weld. Give it a couple of passes on the 60 grit grinding wheel. Hit it with some spray lacquer and all is good.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Go see AllemM stat

I can assure everyone that bwframe’s 1911 has made it to AllenM for a bit of love. It was cleaned up and checked by the master and had a bit of time in the mill for some ball cuts on the front of the slide. It now resides in my range bag where it gets a steady diet of full mags and still shoots lights out.

Top Bottom