Can you share photos of the wear on your polymer frame after heavy use?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Hi there guys/gals,

I recently picked up my first polymer pistol, a brand new Kahr CM9. I've only put about 110 rounds down the pipe so far, so it's not even past the recommended 'break in' period yet, however I have noticed wear on the polymer that has me slightly concerned. I posted on KahrTalk, and the general consensus was that what I am seeing is not normal as others have claimed 1,000+ rounds and their polymer looks as good as they day they got it.

I'm not knocking Kahr, anyone can produce a bad batch and perhaps it's not even bad at all and I'm just concerned for no reason. I've not yet heard back from their Customer Service, but from what I read the company is experiencing a lot of 'growing pains' so I hope to hear back within the week. For what it's worth, the Kahr performed flawlessly when I took it out and had the opportunity to shoot it a couple weekends ago. I chose the Kahr over the Shield, and despite already having a trusty S&W I still want to love to the Kahr.

Anyhow, here are the photos of my several week old Kahr CM9 with 110~ rounds put through it.

iclSspO.jpg

T7S6G66.jpg

xmGUv1s.jpg

DwJw3ke.jpg

RqioJPe.jpg

It's really not that bad. But like I've said, only 110~ rounds threw it. My concern is how it would hold up after 500, 1,000, 2,500 or more rounds.

Comments I got were things like:

"Sorry as well. Have to say, I have a pm9 and yesterday passed the 4000 round mark and mine never, ever looked even close to that. Matter of fact never had any shaving/wear at all."

"PM9 - over 2000 rounds, no wear to speak of."

"I've never touched the polymer on my CM9 and it looks as clean the day that I bought it. I have well over 1k rounds through it. I send those pictures to Kahr Service and get an opinion from them. Your gun looks like a beaver was chewing on it."

"Same here-1000's of rounds thru my PM9 and the polymer looks as new as the day I took it home."

"That looks fairly boogered up for so few rounds...."

"...While it may be just a cosmetic issue I think yours looks worse than normal to me and I don't think it was from you hand racking the slide either....While the gun may shoot ok if it were mine I wouldn't do anything to either the frame or slide with sandpaper but would have Kahr send you a prepaid label and let them look at it....

Everyone is different but I expect a new expensive pistol to look like it and not like it's been through a torture test...I think something may be out of spec with that frame and would let the Kahr gunsmith look at it and even if they say it's fine and do nothing you will have documented the fact that it had abnormal wear indications when new..."

Etc.

I don't want this thread to read like a bad review. Kahr is a reputable brand, and I'll post the response to the email I sent them when I receive it.

So, I'm curious what some of your guys/galls polymer frames look like from your various brands and models of polymer framed pistols look like. This is my first polymer experience and not an ideal one, but I'm willing to see what Kahr says and either send it in for a replacement or ignore it and see what it looks like after 500+ have been down the tube.

Please post photos of your polymer frames and round count.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have a Kahr PM9 that I have fired several thousand rounds through and it still looks new. I have never seen any Kahr look anywhere near as bad as yours.

Everybody lets a bad product out the door. Some companies more than others as they are still human and as the saying goes, to err is human.

Kahr has a reputation for making first class products, but as I said, they are built by humans. Kahr also has a great customer service reputation, and I would suggest you give them a call.

Edited to add that I missed where you tried to contact them. Did you call or email? Regardless, keep calling and emailing as they need to be aware of your problem.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    I have a Kahr PM9 that I have fired several thousand rounds through and it still looks new. I have never seen any Kahr look anywhere near as bad as yours.

Everybody lets a bad product out the door. Some companies more than others as they are still human and as the saying goes, to err is human.

Kahr has a reputation for making first class products, but as I said, they are built by humans. Kahr also has a great customer service reputation, and I would suggest you give them a call.

Yep, I am certainly not knocking them. I am confident they'll do right by me. I am going to wait a couple days to see if I get a response to my email. If not, I'll give them a call. The gun is still under warranty. Too bad I'll lose my Talon Grips when/if I am instructed to send it back :'(

I loved how well it shot and performed the first time, trigger is very nice and the sights take a bit of getting used to but I was getting warmed up to them by the time the day was over. Considering this is a candidate as a new carry piece I simply want to ensure I've got a quality piece that isn't impacted by any error from manufacturing.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I don't have a kahr, but I had a poly pistol (my first handgun) that I put over 200 rounds through and I never saw anything like that!

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Hi there guys/gals,

I recently picked up my first polymer pistol, a brand new Kahr CM9. I've only put about 110 rounds down the pipe so far, so it's not even past the recommended 'break in' period yet, however I have noticed wear on the polymer that has me slightly concerned. I posted on KahrTalk, and the general consensus was that what I am seeing is not normal as others have claimed 1,000+ rounds and their polymer looks as good as they day they got it.

I'm not knocking Kahr, anyone can produce a bad batch and perhaps it's not even bad at all and I'm just concerned for no reason. I've not yet heard back from their Customer Service, but from what I read the company is experiencing a lot of 'growing pains' so I hope to hear back within the week. For what it's worth, the Kahr performed flawlessly when I took it out and had the opportunity to shoot it a couple weekends ago. I chose the Kahr over the Shield, and despite already having a trusty S&W I still want to love to the Kahr.

Anyhow, here are the photos of my several week old Kahr CM9 with 110~ rounds put through it.

iclSspO.jpg

T7S6G66.jpg

xmGUv1s.jpg

DwJw3ke.jpg

RqioJPe.jpg

It's really not that bad. But like I've said, only 110~ rounds threw it. My concern is how it would hold up after 500, 1,000, 2,500 or more rounds.

Comments I got were things like:

"Sorry as well. Have to say, I have a pm9 and yesterday passed the 4000 round mark and mine never, ever looked even close to that. Matter of fact never had any shaving/wear at all."

"PM9 - over 2000 rounds, no wear to speak of."

"I've never touched the polymer on my CM9 and it looks as clean the day that I bought it. I have well over 1k rounds through it. I send those pictures to Kahr Service and get an opinion from them. Your gun looks like a beaver was chewing on it."

"Same here-1000's of rounds thru my PM9 and the polymer looks as new as the day I took it home."

"That looks fairly boogered up for so few rounds...."

"...While it may be just a cosmetic issue I think yours looks worse than normal to me and I don't think it was from you hand racking the slide either....While the gun may shoot ok if it were mine I wouldn't do anything to either the frame or slide with sandpaper but would have Kahr send you a prepaid label and let them look at it....

Everyone is different but I expect a new expensive pistol to look like it and not like it's been through a torture test...I think something may be out of spec with that frame and would let the Kahr gunsmith look at it and even if they say it's fine and do nothing you will have documented the fact that it had abnormal wear indications when new..."

Etc.

I don't want this thread to read like a bad review. Kahr is a reputable brand, and I'll post the response to the email I sent them when I receive it.

So, I'm curious what some of your guys/galls polymer frames look like from your various brands and models of polymer framed pistols look like. This is my first polymer experience and not an ideal one, but I'm willing to see what Kahr says and either send it in for a replacement or ignore it and see what it looks like after 500+ have been down the tube.

Please post photos of your polymer frames and round count.

:rolleyes:......Chuk 'at thing......an' git'cha a Glock.......:twocents:

ANY of'em........:):

Ain't 'at bad?.........?..........?..........:rolleyes:

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Yep, I am certainly not knocking them. I am confident they'll do right by me. I am going to wait a couple days to see if I get a response to my email. If not, I'll give them a call. The gun is still under warranty. Too bad I'll lose my Talon Grips when/if I am instructed to send it back :'(

I loved how well it shot and performed the first time, trigger is very nice and the sights take a bit of getting used to but I was getting warmed up to them by the time the day was over. Considering this is a candidate as a new carry piece I simply want to ensure I've got a quality piece that isn't impacted by any error from manufacturing.

:rolleyes:......Uhhhh......ya better.......consider a'nuthern........:):......ser'ously.......:):

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Well yeah, not this particular one. But if they replace it I'll be happy. Obviously this appears to be a defect that isn't present in all Kahrs.

Just like S&W Shield's in .40 have been blowing up in people's hands recently, just like Springfield Armory has recalled pistols... no one is immune from sending out a bad piece. ;)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    No Kahrs here, but plenty of Glocks and I've never seen any wear like that, and I've got a lot more rounds through most of mine.

Looks like the dog chewed that thing up.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Its hard to tell from the pictures, but the front of your frame rails DO look like they are chipped/broken. Is that true, or is it just a bunch of dust that I'm seeing that makes the surface look like a shattered wreck?

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Here's a shot of the frame of my G19. I've owned this since 1989 and have put 1000's of rounds through it. As you can see no wear just some dust.

45 x 11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2014
    Southwest IN
    I used to own a Kahr... I didn't put all that many rounds through it before parting with it (not at all the gun's fault, it just wasn't to my personal taste), but it didn't have any noticeable wear at all. I've never seen "normal wear" anything like that. Keep us up to date on how things progress.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Ugh....

I don't own a Kahr, but have multiple tupperware weapons. All of them are XD's, XDM's, and an XDS. Some of them have over 10k and one is on it's third barrel, NONE of them look like that. I'm sure you'll be getting a new one.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Kahr makes a solid pistol. They fit tight and there can be some rub at first and things but nothing like you have here. I would say you will be sending it to Kahr and they will make it right… Hopefully in a timely manner

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Hello. I saw your thread on KahrTalk too.. You seem to have some extra flashing but I see no horrible wear...

Here's the same areas on my Wife's CM9, 370 rounds no wear, just fuzz and some stray powder and dirt I missed cleaning...

siup.jpg

pl3o.jpg

6ic4.jpg

Last edited:

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Hello. I saw your thread on KahrTalk too.. You seem to have some extra flashing but I see no horrible wear...

Here's the same areas on my Wife's CM9, 370 rounds no wear, just fuzz and some stray powder and dirt I missed cleaning...

siup.jpg

pl3o.jpg

6ic4.jpg

:wow:.......At's......normal look'n ta you?.......:dunno: (3rd pic......)

Top Bottom