• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    S&W shield. Can get one new after rebate for barely over $200. Nothing even comes close in my opinion until you hit $400-500.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Dmac22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2020
    COLUMBUS
    Without a doubt I would grab a Canik TP9SF One. This is a solid hard use handgun and can be had in the $250-300 range. I think it’s a step up from most if not all in the sub $300 category. The only ship with 1 mag and in a cardboard box I believe to keep the cost lower than their traditional tp9sf with a case and multiple mags.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    Lots of deserved love in here for the Canik. I wasn't considering one and then I took one in trade. It's an Elite Combat model and it certainly deserves all of the raving people do about them.

I'm no fan of Turkey itself, but I have to be fair with my observations. The darn thing works.

I had a box of Winchester USA Forged ammunition that I had purchased before I knew it was complete garbage. That one box was tried in several different handguns. It malfunctioned in all of them including an HK USP, an HK P30, a Browning Hi Power, a Taurus G2C, and a Ruger Security 9.

The Canik ate it and asked for more. I'm not in a hurry to send more money to Turkey but I wouldn't hesitate on another used one if the opportunity came up.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I bought one of these and later sold it to my brother. He was still using the S&W revolver he carried for the Fort Wayne PD back when he was still healthy. I convinced him there was an advantage to having 17+1 rounds in the mag as opposed to the six-shooter, even if he could shoot the eyes out of a flea at 25 yards. (He was an excellent marksman, though.) It is a fantastic piece of equipment and sells for under $300. I purchased mine a couple years back for >$250, and subsequently sold it to my brother. It is still going strong.

Sars?lmaz - B6

It is available here, and elsewhere.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/9627008...xternal-Hammer-Polymer-Frame-Black-Finish.htm

It is a very, very good firearm, in my opinion. It is also available with a stainless steel slide and in a compact version, B6c.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Alfordsville
    2500 rounds through the Taurus g3 now and I'm very happy with it.
    I have to admit the G3 has my interest. I'm not a Taurus fan by any means but I'm not a Taurus-basher either.
    I believe Taurus is capable of producing a good gun but I'm also sure they have turned out some horrible ones as well.
    Thanks for your update on how yours is working out.

spencer5650

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 22, 2013
    Bedford
    I like the looks of the new Glock clone from PSA. Haven’t seen one in the wild yet but if they’re as good as they seem for about 300.00?

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I've put a few hundred rounds through my Ruger Security 9 since I bought it 3 weeks ago, including a Handgun 101 class here in Evansville. Accuracy was good enough for me and handled PMC and Browning training/practice rounds just fine. I can recommend it, just wait for the next sale.

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    I agree with others about a Full size Duty Weapon. Glock 17,19, 45, all fine firearms. I also like Sig 226, 320-Full size. If OP likes a Taurus... so be it. Easier to find Duty Gear for the above, off duty carry holsters isn't an issue either.
    My advice is get a decent retention holster, it may save your life in an altercation. Whats your life worth?

Back in the old days, a 357mag Revolver was commonplace in the Security Officers holster. Spare speedloaders/case, and a decent flashlight(Maglite, 3 C, or D cell) doubled as a Flashlight/Baton. We carried handcuffs in case of need. Used the flashlight more than anything else. (like these smaller LED ones now, batteries last and brighter. The maglights were just heavy!)

Security Companies seem only concerned about you on your post, rather than your personal safety. Thats why they are hired out. Good to decide yourself, and follow their requirements. We had Quals twice a year, and some firearms were caked full of crud from the last shoot. Clean your firearm, mags, use fresh ammo. Again, it's your life. Good luck.

thetj84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    My sccy cpx2 has grown on me. 200 rounds and no issues. The trigger fishtails a little, but nothing concerning.$209 at rual king.

rmw250

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 28, 2014
    Kokomo
    Both the Ruger Security 9 and the smith and Wesson SD9VE are both good budget options. The SD9VE paired with an $30 apex trigger kit makes for a good shooter with a nice trigger. As stated above, PSA is coming out with their glock clone here in the next week or two and is compatible with all gen3 parts and accessories

Top Bottom