• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    So, OP, I must've missed where in your story where someone contacted the local LEO...

Please tell me that someone had enough brain cells to do this?

Yes, I was sitting in my truck. :):

I let it go. Probably should have called, but it was late, and he left. The guy who lives there knows exactly who it is, and if he wanted him arrested, he would get arrested.

If he would have broken the door or window, yes, I would have called for some officers to pick him up. If he walked toward our vehicles, he would have gotten light up, or at least held at gunpoint.

Maybe I didn't do enough. I did what I felt was enough. I knew at what point I was going to intervene. It never reached that point.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I don't get it. If you really thought that, why would you just sit there in your car?

I had my gun ready. I wasn't sure what he was doing. I suppose I should have disembarked on the passenger side and gotten some cover, but I knew once he pointed anything at me, he was going to have a lot of lead flying in his direction. Yes, I was a sitting target, and that's bad. I also didn't want to do anything to make him snap, perhaps he was waiting for me to do something to intervene. Exiting my vehicle may have been that catalyst.

Hindsight. This is why we discuss these things, so we can learn. I don't think I did everything 100% correctly, but it happened to work out. Made me reconsider my EDC. Made me think more about tactics.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I had my gun ready. I wasn't sure what he was doing. I suppose I should have disembarked on the passenger side and gotten some cover, but I knew once he pointed anything at me, he was going to have a lot of lead flying in his direction. Yes, I was a sitting target, and that's bad. I also didn't want to do anything to make him snap, perhaps he was waiting for me to do something to intervene. Exiting my vehicle may have been that catalyst.

Hindsight. This is why we discuss these things, so we can learn. I don't think I did everything 100% correctly, but it happened to work out. Made me reconsider my EDC. Made me think more about tactics.

I am NOT LEO, but YES, I agree..... Everyone can learn, and most can teach .....

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I am NOT LEO, but YES, I agree..... Everyone can learn, and most can teach .....

It's easy to sit here now and discuss what I should have done. It's different when it's actually happening.

I just hope this better prepares me for the next time, when maybe it goes a different direction, and the outcome isn't as good.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

You lived.
    No one killed
    No one robbed
    No one hospitalized.

Sounds like enough stuff went right.
    Never hurts to review your actions though.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    Just went out today to replace my mag-lite xl50 which was 200 lumen because the switch was starting to get all wonky and would have to smack it a few times to get it to work right. Found this little gem at wallyworld for $29 not bad looked all around couldn't find any other at this price that was made this well
    IMG_20150928_132031.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's easy to sit here now and discuss what I should have done. It's different when it's actually happening.

I just hope this better prepares me for the next time, when maybe it goes a different direction, and the outcome isn't as good.

I've learned way more from making mistakes and having to extricate myself from those mistakes than from doing it right the first time. I was just talking about this with a retired LEO and he said "if we could put veteran brains in rookie bodies, we'd have a lot of Bad--- cops."

You survived, you learned, effectively you won.

Now, I get to tell a flashlight story. I took my family to the movie theater and a big storm rolled in and knocked the lights out. I was pretty smug because I had my flashlight on my ankle and I knew I'd be able to light my way to the bathroom or whatever. Then every a-hole under 30 in the place pulled out their smart phone and used their cellphone flashlight app. It was brighter in there than before the lights went out. Stupid technology stealing my thunder... :D

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I carry a shirt pocket Preon 2 or Thrunight penlight 24/7. It's amazing how many times throughout the daytime that I've missed these "admin" lights when I have forgotten them. 180 lumens of the penlights light up the night very well and I wouldn't be without the dual duty light/kubaton. A Surefire Fury rides in the support hand front pocket in the darkness though, for "lighting up" anyone out to 100 yards.

Pretty cheap versatile tools that you don't miss until you really do. Just as stated in the OP.
    Even $100 is cheap when it might be life and death?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I've learned way more from making mistakes and having to extricate myself from those mistakes than from doing it right the first time. I was just talking about this with a retired LEO and he said "if we could put veteran brains in rookie bodies, we'd have a lot of Bad--- cops."

Now, I get to tell a flashlight story. I took my family to the movie theater and a big storm rolled in and knocked the lights out. I was pretty smug because I had my flashlight on my ankle and I knew I'd be able to light my way to the bathroom or whatever. Then every a-hole under 30 in the place pulled out their smart phone and used their cellphone flashlight app. It was brighter in there than before the lights went out. Stupid technology stealing my thunder... :D

Shoulda had either a Surefire P2X Fury or a Surefire Peacekeeper.
    You would still have had the lumens advantage, and by a wide margin. ;)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

You were just too late to the scene.

Back in the 1990s, the rhino was at the movie theater near Lafayette Square, but he can't remember the movie. Anyway, during the show some guy started thrashing around and making weird noises, so rhino went to see what was happening. He was having a seizure, so the helpful pachyderm went to the lobby to tell them what was happening and to ask them to call and ambulance. Someone else had the same idea, so rhino told them to go ask for the call and went back to stay with the guy.

The movies didn't stop and the theater people didn't turn the lights on. The ambulance came with paramedics and still the movie played and no house lights. Seriously?

Anyway, the paramedics only had those tiny penlights they used to check pupil response, but they couldn't see well enough to evaluate the guy. Still no house lights.

Then rhino whipped out his Underwater Kinetics UK4AA and provided the necessary illumination. He also blocked the wheels on the stretcher so it wouldn't roll down the aisle (why they didn't lock the wheels I do not know) when the guys were having trouble assisting the guy and juggling everything in the row of seats. Then rhino led them to the lobby with his light and they were gone! He returned to his seat and watched the rest of the movie.

Yeah, no one could ever possibly need a flashlight during the daytime, right?

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Your office doesn't have emergency exit lights? Pretty sure that's against building code.
    They do, they are just weak and there isnt enough of them to really light anything up. Lots of big rooms and the power went out before dusk so people stayed. Batteries began to die in the emergency lights when it became dark.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    They do, they are just weak and there isnt enough of them to really light anything up. Lots of big rooms and the power went out before dusk so people stayed. Batteries began to die in the emergency lights when it became dark.

Yep
    Indiana law requires emergency lights to stay illuminated for 90 minutes minimum.
    I know, because I have to test this annually where I work, an annual required test.
    I'll be shutting off lots of circuit breakers next month for this one. ;)

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I've always told myself that I should carry a light. I know I should, and I had something happen last night that made me actually do it.

I went out with some friends and my girlfriend last night, we had dinner at Texas Roadhouse. (I'm a fan of Logan's, my buddy wanted me to try Texas, definitely not going back. Steak was mediocre, potatoes sucked.) We met up at my friend's house, and rode together.

Anyway, it was a long day, and we went out late, and we returned to my friend's house and talked for a bit. It was about midnight, and my other friend and the GF and myself were about to leave. We got into our vehicles and were about to leave. He was parked behind me in the driveway, so I was waiting on him to back out so I could get out. As we were getting into our trucks, we noticed a man pull up in the neighbor's driveway. The friend behind me was watching him, and I noticed the guy was carrying a baseball bat. He walked to the front door, and started knocking pretty hard with the bat. The friend behind me called me, and we were both watching this guy, phone in one hand, gun in the other. The man then hit the windows with the bat, not hard enough to break anything, but he kept hitting the windows and yelling for the occupants to come out.

Then he looked at us, and walked back to his car. He put the bat in his backseat, and walked to the trunk. Then he looked right at me, and pulled something small out of the trunk, and held it waist level right in front of him. He looked back at me, and my friend behind me couldn't see what he was getting, and my first thought was it looked like a handgun. I told him I thought it was a gun, and then the man got back in his car, and backed out of the driveway. He pulled up on the curb kind of blocking in my friend's truck, and started yelling at me, telling me that it was his cousin's house, and not to get involved. I cracked my door and looked back at him, gun in my hand, ready to go. I told him he needed to leave, and that we weren't involved. I just wanted to make sure he wasn't going to do anything stupid.

He eventually drove off, and then came flying down the street in the other direction. My buddy still had his G26 in his hand, I had holstered my 19. My GF was carrying a G19 as well, but she never drew it. My other friend was at his front door, and we told him what happened, and that he needed to keep his gun close. Then we all left.

Now, fortunately that was then end of that, but damn, I wish I had a flashlight on me! I carry a 600 lumen Terralux on duty, and I have some Olight and Surefire lights, but they stay at home. No more! I didn't want to approach this man, but it would have been nice to light him up while he was on the porch, and confront him verbally. He didn't know we were armed, but I bet he would have left sooner if he did. Who knows, any number of things could have happened. I really thought he was going to fire some shots at us. One drunk versus three competent, trained people would have yielded pretty good results.

The friend who lives there talked to the neighbor this morning. He says it is indeed his cousin, and he gets drunk and does this from time to time. Some family!

I am now carrying a tac light wherever I go. I urge all of you to do the same. Whether or not I would/should have used it is of little important. It would have given me more confidence, and that can make a difference.

Stay safe.

Good on ya for sharing, and I second your sentiment.

I'm an "office worker" and have been teased and questioned for years about carrying a tac-light all day every day.

Teasing stopped when the entire building's power went out during a storm.

I've also turned back numerous "curious" dogs with my lights (currently a Fenix PD 35 - 860 lumen model). Nice not to have to rock and roll if you can get away with just shedding some light on the situation. That said, I would advise being ready to rock.

I feel naked without my light.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

Damn kids!

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Good on ya for sharing, and I second your sentiment.

I'm an "office worker" and have been teased and questioned for years about carrying a tac-light all day every day.

Teasing stopped when the entire building's power went out during a storm.

I've also turned back numerous "curious" dogs with my lights (currently a Fenix PD 35 - 860 lumen model). Nice not to have to rock and roll if you can get away with just shedding some light on the situation. That said, I would advise being ready to rock.

I feel naked without my light.

I feel like that would have helped, using a powerful light to illuminate the porch. He may have left earlier if confronted. Or he may have turned his aggression toward me. Like you said, be ready to rock and roll.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Can any body recommend one thats fairly cheap but still puts out decent light and has a clip so i can wear it on my jeans?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Can any body recommend one thats fairly cheap but still puts out decent light and has a clip so i can wear it on my jeans?

Define "cheap".

You can get a Fenix light package on Amazon (flashlight, rechargable battery, battery charger) for $80 - $100.

I'm no operator, but as much as I depend on my light when I do need it, that's fairly cheap to me.

Also, be sure to check out our friendly neighborhood illumination expert, LED Warehouse: The LED Warehouse

Top Bottom