• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Those holsters are convenient for ungunning discreetly when the need arises.
    I think that's why they are still around.
    A tekloc or similar would serve the same purpose and be much more secure

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    No matter if talking about guns, belt, holster or what the thought process has to include a good deal of thought about the difference between comfortable or comforting. But if one does not train, practice or compete or any of those with the gear one simple may not know what is flawed about their set up. One great aspect of competition is that competition is a great crucible of gear.

How often is a EDC gun put into something that is sub optimal to be carried around. Something that is unsuitable for competition, and yet EDC is trying to be ready for the most significant competition of your life.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    That is one of the things I like most about the carry gun matches. Since the first match I attended I have changed or eliminated some of the gear I had and even one of the compacts I used to carry got moved out of my list of what I carry now and I feel I am better prepared because of these matches.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm one of the (probably few) people that uses the exact same stuff for matches as for daily carry, so I don't get many gear-related surprises. On the other hand, I get plenty of user-induced "surprises," so it's always entertaining.

As far holster that use clips . . . very few clip designs will hold the holster on the belt securely enough. An exception is for really fit people who wear a tight belts, then the friction can be adequate to accommodate the shortcomings of the belt clips. If a person is even a little bit squishy, most belt clips are just not secure enough.

There are some clips (like those used by G-Code for the INCOG holsters) that do far better. They also make it difficult to remove the holster when you want to remove the holster, which defeats the easy on/off that most people want who specifically choose clips. You can't get something for nothing! If a holster is easy to remove from your belt, then it's probably not adequately secure.

Another issue, which is becoming less frequent, is that Kydex clips will eventually break if you wear and use the holster a lot. Kydex is a bad choice for belt clips, but 20 years ago, there were few superior choices. Now many holster makers use clips made of much more durable and long-lasting polymers. Those are far less likely to break, but you still have to be careful about the design.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Detroit Holster has excellent clips. I've used their Metro OWB on my G26 over a year now without a single mishap, ever, dryfire, class, daily carry, and I used it all night during the hosefest. As in most cases, a good, thick, solid belt makes all the difference.

If you need an option for convenient un-gunning because you frequent and/or work in impermissive environments, they are worth checking out.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I like g-code stuff but is it fuzzy on the inside like the gls?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Or G-Code.

Why though?

Suede and synthetic linings wear out instead of in like lined smooth leather and the extra noise they make on presentation is a give away of position should you want to stay discreet. I was hoping that the kydex industry might respond to the benefits of leather for the lower cost.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Suede and synthetic linings wear out instead of in like lined smooth leather and the extra noise they make on presentation is a give away of position should you want to stay discreet. I was hoping that the kydex industry might respond to the benefits of leather for the lower cost.

How big of a deal is this? I have been thinking about it since I read the post. I have argued it several ways in my head.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    How big of a deal is this? I have been thinking about it since I read the post. I have argued it several ways in my head.

I can’t think of a realistic scenario where it matters. If I need the gun out quickly, I don’t care how loud the drawstroke is. If I have time to be discrete, I’m confident I can get the gun in my hand fairly quietly even from an all-kydex holster.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

Exactly why I put it out there. The fact of the matter when it comes to personal carry in our vast gun culture one must question/test his/her equipment to the fullest. Many CCW peeps get their ideas from the industry marketing majors or maybe from some sort of shooting sport, when in reality they find the fails with a dropped gun (discovered usually when no one is around) or better yet, be like the dweeb that left his piece in a sofa at IKEA with out knowing it. What ever equipment the shooter commits to, it needs to be just that, a commitment to test for ALL the street possibilities. For me, Kydex is to incohesive, noisy and not to mention breakable for my taste in street carry. Kydex is cheaper to buy though than my quality leather lined holsters built specifically for my gun. But again, to each his/her own.

Happy New Year to all INGOers.

Barry

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    That is one of the things I like most about the carry gun matches. Since the first match I attended I have changed or eliminated some of the gear I had and even one of the compacts I used to carry got moved out of my list of what I carry now and I feel I am better prepared because of these matches.

Well, back to Coach's crucible comment.... I always FELT that I could shoot the little gun just fine, until I used it in a carry gun match. I wasn't horrible with it, but it DID take a LOT more effort and time to get hits. Why handicap yourself when you might be fighting for your life or the lives of others?
    Heck, I'm even looking at a longer barrels now....

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Exactly why I put it out there. The fact of the matter when it comes to personal carry in our vast gun culture one must question/test his/her equipment to the fullest. Many CCW peeps get their ideas from the industry marketing majors or maybe from some sort of shooting sport, when in reality they find the fails with a dropped gun (discovered usually when no one is around) or better yet, be like the dweeb that left his piece in a sofa at IKEA with out knowing it. What ever equipment the shooter commits to, it needs to be just that, a commitment to test for ALL the street possibilities. For me, Kydex is to incohesive, noisy and not to mention breakable for my taste in street carry. Kydex is cheaper to buy though than my quality leather lined holsters built specifically for my gun. But again, to each his/her own.

Happy New Year to all INGOers.

It is a great point to discuss. I cannot imagine that quiet is much of deal but of course I could be wrong. My carry holsters have both stood the test of time and mileage. I have worked my everyday carry gear in practice session and in matches both Carry Gun matches and USPSA matches. Do not have many doubts about my gear. Folks that want a crucible to test gear should try out a carry gun match. It might bring some enlightenment or some confirmation.

RRamsey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2015
    sullivan
    On the ccover thing. From a buddy on the ISP Swat Team : "Unless you're carrying an engine block with you, you probably have no cover. Contrary to TV, hiding around the corner won't get it done"
    “Many people confuse concealment as cover.” That is from an ISP swat team member who gave a active shooter training class at work

RRamsey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2015
    sullivan
    It is not the odds of needing a gun but the stakes. That is the way Tom Givens describes it. He has the data and the experience. Why are you confident that you can out shoot a perp? Because you are that good or because they are that bad or a combination. Clyde Barrow was pretty good. You cannot count on them sucking. You cannot count on the bad guys not getting lucky. They do have several things in their favor. Plus anyone of us can miss. How much practice do you have in a stress filled environment?

Matix and Platt in Miami in 86 we pretty good shooters also.

Top Bottom