Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Thanks. And thanks to rvb as well. I consider myself to be fairly competent but I am always trying to learn and improve. Hoping life will slow down so I can get to one of the carry gun matches or even some of the closer uspsa matches and see how I do with the pressure of the clock.
    Happy to help. Be glad to have you at a match.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    In summary

"Listening to Topshot will get you killed in the streets"

I'm missing where I told anybody else what to do. :dunno:

I'm also missing where anyone has bothered to show the stats that indicates civilian use of BUGs and reloads has made a difference.

I think I'll grab some popcorn now before bwframe eats it all.
    :popcorn:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you're gonna live your life by the stats, you'd not carry at all.

If you choose to carry, it's best to be prepared for most anything that could happen as opposed to the "stats" dictating what "will" happen.

The chance that you will be exposed to an active shooter is slim. Similarly a couple of thugs in the middle of a robbery gone bad carrying modern high capacity handguns.

The question is; Why wouldn't you want to be over prepared as opposed to the opposite?

Whats the first thing you do in any shooting session (much less on the street,) when your gun quits and tap-rack-bang doesn't work?

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    If you're gonna live your life by the stats, you'd not carry at all.
    I disagree since nearly 100% of those that don't have a gun when needed end up losing in some fashion. Violence won't be going away and will continue to become more commonplace.

If you choose to carry, it's best to be prepared for most anything that could happen as opposed to the "stats" dictating what "will" happen.
    Then I'm guessing you all must be wearing full combat gear? Everyone has to decide where to draw the line for their personal defense and that line will clearly be different for different people.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I disagree since nearly 100% of those that don't have a gun when needed end up losing in some fashion. Violence won't be going away and will continue to become more commonplace.

Then I'm guessing you all must be wearing full combat gear? Everyone has to decide where to draw the line for their personal defense and that line will clearly be different for different people.

Now you see, you've jumped away from the stats to your opinion (which you seem a bit stubborn about.:)) Most of us that carry 100% of the time NEVER have needed our sidearm. Name all the folks you know that carry who have needed their firearm? Hence, the stats say we don't need to carry at all...

Again, how do you fix your gun when it quits working without backup ammo?
    What if your bad guy is a rifle or high capacity handgun carrying suicidal lunatic on a mission that you are in the way of?

Incidentally, I don't wear full combat gear. However, I could likely survive long enough to escape urban combat with me and mine. I know that by my score sheets and training resume. Your's???

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I'm missing where I told anybody else what to do. :dunno:

I'm also missing where anyone has bothered to show the stats that indicates civilian use of BUGs and reloads has made a difference.

I think I'll grab some popcorn now before bwframe eats it all.
    :popcorn:

You probably have never heard the saying that one is none and two is one

Have you ever had a malfunction? A death jam? Double feed? Have you ever had training?

My guess is no to the latter. If you haven't had any of the first three, you are likely not shooting enough.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I know it's probably coming across like I'm assuming I'll be fine because the perp can't shoot but that's not the case. Even if they can't shoot they can still get lucky (or have tons of bullets). As an engineer I look at the statistics and that says it's within 7 yards, a handful of shots, etc. Sure it may not happen that way but I can't prepare for everything, but at least I'd be bringing a gun to the fight which is better than the 3 students that forfeited. Just like the BSA slogan, "Be Prepared" doesn't mean bring the kitchen sink, but use what's between your ears, I think SA, mindset, quickness and shot placement is what will determine 99% of civilian encounters. If I happen to run into the 1%, I'll just get to go home sooner than I thought.

As an engineer, you should understand that statistics and empirical probabilities apply to populations, less so to small samples, and not at all to individuals. You can make some general inferences from statistics to help you hedge your bets, but once you are selected as the sample of one, stats mean very little.

Since you raised the points:

How aware are you of your situation at any given time and place? Do you have any idea how to look for potential threats in terms of human behavior? Are you able to maintain that level of awareness 100% of the time?

What kind of mindset do you have? Ever been in a stressful situation where lives were at stake? Ever been in training where artificial stress is applied specifically to test your reactions?

How quick are you? How quickly (measured by a timer) can you react to a threat, access your weapon, and get 3-5 rounds on a 10 inch target at seven yards?

Do you understand human anatomy well enough to know where to place your shots to maximize their effectiveness at stopping a threat? Can you place 3-5 shots there on demand and under stress at 5 yards? At 7 yards? At 10 yards? How fast can you do it? What about if the target is moving? What if you miss? What if the areas of the threat's body are not available? What if you put all of your shots exactly where you want them, but it doesn't stop the threat?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    As an engineer, you should understand that statistics and empirical probabilities apply to populations, less so to small samples, and not at all to individuals. You can make some general inferences from statistics to help you hedge your bets, but once you are selected as the sample of one, stats mean very little.

How aware are you of your situation at any given time and place? Do you have any idea how to look for potential threats in terms of human behavior? Are you able to maintain that level of awareness 100% of the time?

What kind of mindset do you have? Ever been in a stressful situation where lives were at stake? Ever been in training where artificial stress is applied specifically to test your reactions?

How quick are you? How quickly (measured by a timer) can you react to a threat, access your weapon, and get 3-5 rounds on a 10 inch target at seven yards?

Do you understand human anatomy well enough to know where to place your shots to maximize their effectiveness at stopping a threat? Can you place 3-5 shots there on demand and under stress at 5 yards? At 7 yards? At 10 yards? How fast can you do it? What about if the target is moving? What if you miss? What if the areas of the threat's body are not available? What if you put all of your shots exactly where you want them, but it doesn't stop the threat?
    I was expecting a predictive equation Rhino. It's time to click on the data analysis add-in and do some regression analysis. Then again it's Saturday, we can just make things up. 87% of stats are just made up anyway.

Seriously though, it is a scary world out there. "We" (those who choose to be armed) aren't why its scary, but not everyone gets that.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was expecting a predictive equation Rhino. It's time to click on the data analysis add-in and do some regression analysis. Then again it's Saturday, we can just make things up. 87% of stats are just made up anyway.

Seriously though, it is a scary world out there. "We" (those who choose to be armed) aren't why its scary, but not everyone gets that.

I'm just a simple country pachyderm, with simple, country pachyderm ways.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton

:runaway:

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I was going to make a much longer reply but it seems pointless. What I'm taking away from most of the posters in this thread is if you won't carry everything we do, then it's best to not carry at all.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I was going to make a much longer reply but it seems pointless. What I'm taking away from most of the posters in this thread is if you won't carry everything we do, then it's best to not carry at all.

What you should be taking away is that you lack actual experience and training and you do not know what you don't know, and you are commenting as though you do know. This is not a liberal mindset crowd. You are not going to find folks that will say something is good or proper or best practice or whatever jargon you want to use if it is not. You are free to believe and do whatever you want. However, do not expect someone else to say it is right, good or acceptable. But, by God this is America and you do what you think is best. No one else matters, but don't look for confirmation.

I carry two full size 9mm pistols on my belt every time I carry. The rest of the world can laugh, sneer or make fun of it. I don't give a ****. I am going to do what I think is best, and I do not need confirmation.

Do what you think is best. I hope it works the way you want it to work. Get the fundamental pistol skills up to snuff and then take a defensive pistol class. I will wager your view will change. I know my views have changed quite a bit over the years.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I was never looking for or asked for confirmation. Nor do I care what anybody else carries, but others sure seem to care about what I plan to though. Anyway, sorry for being a distraction - you can now return to your regularly scheduled thread.

Bcampbell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Bloomington
    You people have me way confused now, i don't know if i should carry, carry one gun, two guns, if i need extra mags, do i need to hide behind anything, run,
    throw objects? trash talk the perp, hide behind my pc? I'm just confused! I might even be offended , i just don't know at this time,

jwo483

Shooter
    Rating - 96.9%
    31   1   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Westfield
    You people have me way confused now, i don't know if i should carry, carry one gun, two guns, if i need extra mags, do i need to hide behind anything, run,
    throw objects? trash talk the perp, hide behind my pc? I'm just confused! I might even be offended , i just don't know at this time,
    I'll just show up and shoot. I will take some comfort in knowing that everyone at this match has fired their gun at least once, unlike the untold numbers who buy a gun put it in a holster and have never used it.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

jkdbjj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    rural
    Recently saw a short video clip from Mike Pannone of CTT-Solutions, a guy who knows a thing or two about fighting with guns.

His view on several .380 pistols he was testing-----carrying something is better than carrying nothing----just be trained and ready to hit with what you carry. Makes great sense. So many people judging what other people choose to carry. I just hope everyone who carries trains hard with what they carry.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Recently saw a short video clip from Mike Pannone of CTT-Solutions, a guy who knows a thing or two about fighting with guns.

His view on several .380 pistols he was testing-----carrying something is better than carrying nothing----just be trained and ready to hit with what you carry. Makes great sense. So many people judging what other people choose to carry. I just hope everyone who carries trains hard with what they carry.

Yet the ones who train aren’t the ones carrying the mouse guns.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom