• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    For some reason in my mind I believe it is safer to carry one in the chamber with a Hammer Fired as opposed to a Striker Fired pistol. I understand that the best safety is keeping your finger off the trigger but I am thinking the longer and heavier trigger of a Hammer Fired pistol might be less prone to an accidental discharge when carried.

I welcome anyone thoughts.

harokyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    My opinion is that unless your an on duty cop theres no point in carrying with one in the camber I prefer an empty chamber with the safety off.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i like a hammer fired. it just feels personally safer to me being able see what is going on and being able to see that hammer.

jake

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    my personal preference as of right now is hammer fired with a decocker lever so i can keep one in the chamber and still rely on the slow pull of the DA trigger as a safety mechanism

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    a 1911 is a hammer fired pistol and their triggers are known to be short and light.

For the most part, if you don't pull the trigger, the gun won't go BOOM so I carry with one in the chamber with every pistol I own. Cocked and locked on my 1911

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I suppose it depends on the gun and how exactly it is carried. A 1911 carried "cocked and locked" could have a pretty light trigger, but with a manual safety. The trigger on my striker-fired XD isn't overly light, and there are 2 safeties (grip and trigger).

I've heard that some Glocks have fairly light triggers and a single grip safety. Some folks prefer them, and others don't. I've only fired them, and never really looked into carrying one. With a proper holster, it should be as safe as anything else.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    With a bit of common sense, you shouldn't have any problem with NEGLIGENT discharges, striker or hammer fired.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    You could really give yourself a delema and go with a ruger sr9c. Aren't those striker fired, but also have the manual safety like a lot hammer fired pistols do?

I've never really felt like carrying concealed and when I did, I didn't do it with one in the chamber. Someone will be along shortly to tell me how wrong I am for that, but it's just me.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Heads-up!

My opinion is that unless your an on duty cop theres no point in carrying with one in the camber I prefer an empty chamber with the safety off.

Here come the "may as well carry a brick" comments!

I'm in the camp that those comments will come from.

OP,
    I'd like to see ANY data that shows occurance of AD from striker vs. hammer carry pieces. I would not be concerned carrying either.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'll have to dig, but wasn't there a post on here this last summer about a Glock, worn-out leather holster, and a ND? The guy went to re-holster, had the grip safety depressed, and the floppy leather holster got inside the trigger guard.

I see that more as a "keep your gear in good shape" argument, rather than a striker vs. hammer argument.

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN

If I have a situation that involves me using my firearm I do not want to have to rack the slide before doing so. I personally would never carry a firearm without on in the chamber.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I'll have to dig, but wasn't there a post on here this last summer about a Glock, worn-out leather holster, and a ND? The guy went to re-holster, had the grip safety depressed, and the floppy leather holster got inside the trigger guard.

I see that more as a "keep your gear in good shape" argument, rather than a striker vs. hammer argument.

There was a case of that happening that was posted on here where the worn leather holster got into the trigger guard and depressed the TRIGGER SAFETY (glocks don't have grip safeties just fyi) and it went off. I also believe that that is more of an issue of keeping your gear in good condition than of not being safe. A good holster will keep anything out of the trigger guard and prevent that.

Edit: To avoid coming off wrong: I am agreeing with you that it is a gear argument, and just letting you know for future reference that glocks only have the trigger safety (as far as external safeties) and not grip safeties like the XDs do.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i dont think there is a right or wrong here. if ya like a hammer buy a gun with a hammer, like a striker buy one, wanna carry one in the chamber go for it, want to keep the chamber empty so what.

its just preference and i think that is what the OP was asking about or did i miss it?

jake

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I choose to carry one in the chamber. The sound of racking the slide as I hide behind the potato chip stack in the gas station may cause the BG to empty his gun in my direction.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I choose to carry one in the chamber. The sound of racking the slide as I hide behind the potato chip stack in the gas station may cause the BG to empty his gun in my direction.

:laugh::laugh:

But on a more serious note, yes I too choose to carry in condtion 0 when I'm carrying any striker fired pistol or the like.

Last edited:

harokyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    Thats just my opinion and in some places, bad areas etc., I would carry with one in the chamber with my beretta 92 with the hammer down but i wouldnt want to carry a 1911 with one in and the hammer cocked.

Top Bottom